Mystery Les Paul copy identification thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by reborn old, Sep 18, 2014.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

I almost bought this Horugel hollowbody; it's one of the earliest Samick builds I've seen, probably late '60s. But the neck was far from straight and it had no truss rod. Shame, because it had some nicely flamed Maple on the back and sides:

300.jpg 300 4.jpg 300 8.jpg

2. Itwaslupus

Itwaslupus Junior Member

Took the covers off today, here's what I found.
    I'm not too knowledgeable of older models, so any info you guys can gleam from this would do wonders to sate my curiosity.

Attached Files:

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

Can't tell you anything about the pickups unless you take them apart, but the pots were replaced; stock ones would be mini while those are full-sized.

4. villager

villager Senior Member

ok heres a bit of a mystery LP branded Gentle, essentially tokai LS-80 specs with a long tenon.. 1 piece back 1 piece neck fret binding and nitro finish.. heres the pics, anyone have any ideas/speculation about its origins?

https://flic.kr/s/aHskCEqKbh

5. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

Any idea on the year it was made? I imagine you can read pot dates a lot better than I can. Interesting to see the tuner keystones aren't double rings like a lot of the replicas from the late 70s / early 80s did - might point to manufacture date.

Have you tried comparing the pickup leg routing / other minute aspects as to hints of the factory that made it?

6. villager

villager Senior Member

has a sense of age about it, 80's ? DSCN3210.JPG heres a pic of the pot codes M500k 0B and 9N K under that...but it means nothing to me..lol. tuners are kluson deluxe, routing looks very tokai like, but other things point away from them like long tenon and not an offset neck.. so i am stumped!! lol

bertrand4070 and bluesriffdev like this.
  7. villager

villager Senior Member

DSCN3222.JPG DSCN3223.JPG

been told its 89 from the pot codes, and possibly braz board see pics..