Mystery Les Paul copy identification thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by reborn old, Sep 18, 2014.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

I almost bought this Horugel hollowbody; it's one of the earliest Samick builds I've seen, probably late '60s. But the neck was far from straight and it had no truss rod. Shame, because it had some nicely flamed Maple on the back and sides:

300.jpg 300 4.jpg 300 8.jpg

2. Itwaslupus

Itwaslupus Junior Member

Took the covers off today, here's what I found.
    I'm not too knowledgeable of older models, so any info you guys can gleam from this would do wonders to sate my curiosity.

Attached Files:

3. PermissionToLand

Can't tell you anything about the pickups unless you take them apart, but the pots were replaced; stock ones would be mini while those are full-sized.

4. villager

villager Senior Member

ok heres a bit of a mystery LP branded Gentle, essentially tokai LS-80 specs with a long tenon.. 1 piece back 1 piece neck fret binding and nitro finish.. heres the pics, anyone have any ideas/speculation about its origins?

https://flic.kr/s/aHskCEqKbh

5. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

Any idea on the year it was made? I imagine you can read pot dates a lot better than I can. Interesting to see the tuner keystones aren't double rings like a lot of the replicas from the late 70s / early 80s did - might point to manufacture date.

Have you tried comparing the pickup leg routing / other minute aspects as to hints of the factory that made it?

6. villager

villager Senior Member

has a sense of age about it, 80's ? DSCN3210.JPG heres a pic of the pot codes M500k 0B and 9N K under that...but it means nothing to me..lol. tuners are kluson deluxe, routing looks very tokai like, but other things point away from them like long tenon and not an offset neck.. so i am stumped!! lol

bertrand4070 and bluesriffdev like this.
  7. villager

villager Senior Member

DSCN3222.JPG DSCN3223.JPG

been told its 89 from the pot codes, and possibly braz board see pics..

8. haapasv1

haapasv1 Junior Member

Hello there dear Les Paul community!

I recently inherited a weird but a rather charming guitar (please see the images).

I like the guitar and will keep it in my modest collection. However, it would be nice to know the origin of the creature.

It has a very nice natural wood finishing and vibe; the carving on the top has been done with care.
    It feels like somewhat old guitar. There has been a scratch plate at some point (drill holes) and 3/4 of the control knobs look like they have been stolen from an old Strat and I doubt the fourth one is an original either.

Curiously, there is no brand label in the guitar whatsoever. To make things even more curious, there is a serial number in the guitar: either MNET300012 or MNEI300012. However, not knowing the brand, the number alone is just annoying.

Any thoughts?

All the help and pointers are greeted with joy!

Sincerely,

haapasv1

forForum - 1.jpg
    forForum - 2.jpg
    forForum - 3.jpg
    forForum - 4.jpg
    forForum - 5.jpg
    forForum - 6.jpg
    forForum - 7.jpg
    forForum - 8.jpg
    forForum - 9.jpg
    forForum - 10.jpg
    forForum - 11.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  9. paulbert

paulbert Junior Member

Hey, I`m a new member in MLP and want to ask you for some help. (first I beg your pardon for my bad english)
    Recently I bought my first LP type guitar - naturally a copy I think - I got it from ebay for little money. Unfortunally there is no hint were it is made, no serial-no. and so on. The only sign is a decal (?) on the headstock. I think thats not a real brand (didn`t found it in the net). looks like the name of a company which gave the guitar as a present or so.
    I looked at hundreds of pictures in the net but didn`t found a guitar such as mine.
    I think following things are special: the shape of the electronic cover plate - didn´t found it in the net twice, the parallelogram inlays (?) - the upper peek directed to the right, the cover plate of the truss rod nut seems not to worked right or till the end - the black upper layer has a staight edge, the upper part (edge) of the headstock shape is nearly straigt.
    I took some pictures to show you what I`m talking about - hope it will be helpfull to identify the lady.

Many thanks in advance for every advice and comment

best greetings to all

paulbert DSCI0968.JPG DSCI0969.JPG DSCI0970.JPG DSCI0977.JPG DSCI0973.JPG DSCI0976.JPG DSCI0990.JPG DSCI0978.JPG DSCI0979.JPG DSCI0993.JPG DSCI0994.JPG DSCI0982.JPG DSCI0980.JPG DSCI0981.JPG DSCI0996.JPG DSCI0987.JPG DSCI0983.JPG DSCI0986.JPG DSCI0984.JPG

10. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Not much about it.
    The "JA" switch is Korean. That could be a first hint.

here a video of an another BPF

11. paulbert

paulbert Junior Member

to dsmc177,
    thanks a lot ! especially for the video with the specs and sound example. first light in the dark !!

Greetings !

paulbert

12. EOengineer

EOengineer Member

13. villager

villager Senior Member

RLG-50 late 80s

EOengineer likes this.
  14. zwofuenfzehn

zwofuenfzehn Junior Member

http://www.mylespaul.com/media/albums/unknown-cheap-les-paul.7988/

Hello people,

I had the opportunity to pick up this Les Paul Custom copy for $25.

As you can see, it has an open book headstock and there is no further indication where the guitar was made.

I assume it is an early Japanese pre-lawsuit model as it comes loaded with Maxon pickups that are labelled "22x20" (whatever that means).

Construction wise what stands out is the zero fret, a longer scale neck as compared to a classic LP by Gibson. When it comes to the body, the top is somewhat "arched" and not entirely flat. The body is "sandwiched" too, that means there is at least on layer of wood on the bottom of the body and and another layer on top of it. The upper layer seem pretty much "hollowed" out for the most part.

Another unusual thing: the Volume and Tone knobs are not side by side but rather are set in a parallel line. The top row is volume for each pickup, the bottom is used for the tone control.

The guitar shows heavy use and has aged a lot but it works and just needs a setup.

So... what do I have here? And is it worth keeping?

IMG_20181004_214023.jpg

15. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

I've been trying to find out what this guitar is. I really like the figuring and color but can't make out the manufacturer.

16. PermissionToLand

Here's a screencap of the headstock. Looks like it says LK maybe?

hs.JPG

17. howlermonkey

Much better screen cap than I could get. That should help.
    I'll bet it's local made in new zealand with some soft of exotic wood and I'm surprised that any search for an interview never mentions that guitar.

18. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

Here's an even better picture of the logo: https://www.adambinns.com/Music/i-psMNB22/A
    And I think it's the logo of DBZ Guitars: https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MT...RS-Premium-Series-Bolero-FM-Tiger-Eye-_57.jpg

Hopefully that helps in tracking down exact model and color. (Model might be Bolero)

19. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

20. howlermonkey

Thanks man...........that is it.

After research, it seems Dean Zelinsky was once Co-owner of the company and actually manufactured some of them in america. I think they are now called "diamond guitars" out of australia.

Pretty good taste for a 15 year old kid.