Mystery Les Paul copy identification thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by reborn old, Sep 18, 2014.

1. JDB

JDB Senior Member

Love to know more about this or at least find one similar with some info about them. Cant find anything.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

That's a Phaez amp you have there J.

A wild guess on guitar would be an older Bacchus, possibly custom made. I'm basing that on the Seventy-Seven style headstock and the letter B.

Anything stamps or markings in the cavities?

2 people like this.
  3. dhopperphotog

dhopperphotog Senior Member

Spotted this MIJ bolt-neck copy at Craigslist. Maybe 70s Fujijen? No idea whom it wade for or what all is inside. If I get a chance to pick it up for a fair price I'll add more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JDB

JDB Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  5. JDB

JDB Senior Member

No marks or stamps but it is all blacked out in shielding paint so something may lay beneath. Looks pre cnc so maybe 78ish. Showed Jacco he was not 100% sure but maybe Matsumoku 2nd generation or something but didn't really match anything he has seen.
    I looked into bacchus and found some similarities in the control cavity to Pearl which was supposedly to do with Mr Momose about 77. Then he started Deviser?
    Very well made guitar, paint, binding, joins everything is flawless. Neck through too.
    Also old mid to late 70s gotoh initial on the tuners.

1 person likes this.
  6. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Hey, the headstock looks nearly exact to the custom model "axiom" the Japanese guitar makers were selling in Australia.. In the 1970's-80's. You could only get Axioms in Australia , no where else were they sold new in the world, so just for our market. The custom model headstock was just like your pis , I think there is one pic left on Internet of the Aiom custom model.

Fwiw I had a standard axiom gold top, bolt on neck too but best guitar I ever had, had the Gibson open book type headstock so wasn'tt long befor it was off the market. I sold it to pay bills and still regret it. Loved that baby......

7. Matty

Matty Senior Member

That is awesome J, I wish I could help you ID it but you'll just have to make do with my jealousy. :D

2 people like this.
  8. Britjoe

Britjoe Junior Member

Looks very much like my MANN les paul

Attached Files:

9. eborges19

eborges19 Junior Member

Hi, Im Ed and I havent found my guitar on here. I don't have it with me yet (just won the auction) and will give more info as I can. All I know about it is that is a les paul replica and that someone removed most of the brand name on the headstock. It appears to be in cursive and appears to begin with the letter "E". here is the pic of the headstock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

Well, the TRC is the shape used on '70s Hondos and the HS is an exaggerated version of Hondo's:

[​IMG]

Also, the block inlays and rounded fretboard ends where it meets the body are common Hondo traits.

[​IMG]

However, I've not seen one with that style inlay (or the slightly different HS, for that matter) before. But anything is possible, I'm always surprised how many variations they made. When you get it, take a pic of the control cavity.

Also, make sure the bridge and tailpiece are sound. It's not uncommon for the bridges to sag in the middle and tailpieces to bend forward.

11. bgcrew

bgcrew Junior Member

My cousin gave this guitar to me. I know that it is from the early 80's at best...if its from the late 70's that's cool too. I have not been able to find anything on this particular head stock design anywhere....all i know is that Magnum when through many manufactures over the years.

This one was made in Korea. I'd like to know more..

Attached Files:

12. PermissionToLand

Cort. That's their truss rod cover style and here's a similar Magnum LP with their serial number style:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bgcrew

bgcrew Junior Member

1) If I contacted Cort do you think they would have more info about age, S/N and MSRP at time of sale?

2) Do these styles have any value at all past a couple hundred bucks? ( I am being generous in my estimation)

Thank you so much for the response. I greatly appreciate it.

14. PermissionToLand

I have heard that people who worked at Cort back then admitted the serial numbers were random and meant nothing, sorry. And if they're anything like Samick, they won't respond at all, or if they do, they'll have very little or inaccurate information. You could still give it a shot though, who knows.

As far as age, I'd put it in the late '70s. They were made to compete with Samick's Hondo Les Pauls, with similar construction and price point. Frankly, they don't go for much money. Personally, I'd just keep it and make it as good as it can be. I enjoy tweaking cheap guitars to play as well as possible, and with a solidbody electric, 90% of the tone is in the pickups, which is an easy change. I own a laminated body Strat that's as resonant as anything. Enjoy!

15. yu.liang

yu.liang Member

Aria pro 2

anyone has any idea where this aria pro ii is made in? it has no serial apparently

16. anagrama

anagrama Junior Member

17. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

Korea

1 person likes this.
  18. bgcrew

bgcrew Junior Member

I have been unable to reach anyone at Cort about this. Any ideas?

19. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

Anyone seen this logo before? Does the font looks a bit like the JooDee ones?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Was going to bid on it but got up too late :( Dunno if it was some custom order but it certainly looked a bargain at the 47,000 yen it sold for, nibs, case , possible ebony board.

1 person likes this.
  20. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

I saw a nice standard few days ago, with that logo and it is SD = Seymour Duncan made by ESP. Of course it had duncan pickups and a nice plain top! Unfortunately I haven't kept the link!

3 people like this.