Mylar 50's Bumble Bee Capacitors, Not Paper In Oil?????

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by jonesy, Nov 19, 2011.

1. BillyBlades

BillyBlades Junior Member

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question..

Is there any modern equivilent to the bumblebees?

Antique electronics or Angela instruments.

Just wondering.

Also... the "drift in capacitance???

Has there been a notable drift in some of the more famous 59models?

Wondering if going for a cap that Matches or "comes close " to the most desirable ones found.

2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

The Angela/Jensen copper foil in oil caps are quite possibly my favorite modern cap in a guitar tone circuit. I blind-tested myself a while back and those stood out to me as having a bigger sound and more character.

Can someone please post a photo of the inside of a PIO bumblebee compared to the inside of a mylar bumblebee? It would be a wonderful addition to this thread!

3 people like this.
  3. BillyBlades

Hi James.. i heard about your pups. We 're in the same state..

I had the opportunity to.hear your buckers thru my modded Marshalls! Nice job!

4. cooljuk

Nice, man! Who's pickups were they? I've been getting a good bit of local business lately.

You're welcome to drop by the shop anytime. Just give me a ring first to make sure I'm around and listening for the bell. I can't hear it if I'm running some of my machines.

5. BillyBlades

John.. from Belair. (50wattplexi) on the Marshall forum.

6. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Bump to the top :)

7. jaik

jaik Senior Member

OK now hold on a sec , I'm totally corn-fused. :dunno:

There's another thread on here where it is claimed there is no such thing as a Mylar Bumblee Bee :
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/mem...e-bumblee-bee-caps-paper-oil.html#post5668812

where even the same fellow in this very thread says :
    and further I have someone else offering to sell me a set of BumbleBees without the little filler tube who makes the same assertion,: that there were no Mylar bumblebees, that they are all PIO.

So which is it ? I'm trying to restore a 1957 Les Paul Special (at least internally). Don't get me wrong, I am not at all calling anyone's honesty into question whatsoever, there just seems to be some confusion on this issue.

Can we clear this up definitively ?

8. jonesy

This topic has been some what of a train wreck on this forum...all I can say is that I have cut open lot's of Bees and some have the brown Paper in oil construction and others are dry with the clear Mylar film and foil.

1 person likes this.
  9. 79standard

79standard Senior Member

I liked that thread, and I learned a lot while it lasted. Also, If I remember correctly, some wiseguy even posted a picture of a paper container of chicken in olive oil. :applause:

1 person likes this.
  10. jaik

jaik Senior Member

if you've seen clear Mylar film in a Bumble Bee, that should pretty much resolve it. I think the thing to do is take 2 Bees, one with a spout, and one with out , cut them both open and show the photos.

if the polyester Mylar stuff is actually clear , that should make it easy to ID and this could be settled.

Its just kind of a drag not knowing what's what when trying to restore a 50s Les Paul, especially when prices are so inflated on what may or may not be a PIO cap

11. jonesy

Mylar/Polyester came out around 1945 and was put into use in the electronics industry shortly after.

Seems that there was a problem with the acid in the oil saturated Paper causing it to break down and shorting out the plates so Sprague changed over to Mylar sometime in the late 50's.

More on the Sprague 160Ps
    http://www.paintedpostcards.com/misc2/BlackBeauties.pdf

12. jaik

jaik Senior Member

Matt at Martin6string is insisting in this thread that all Bumble Bees are PIO & are identical internally regardless of whether there is an eyelet spout or not.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/ven...on-sprague-capacitor-origin-construction.html

you should chime in on there, I think I saw somewhere on the forum that you cut open a few of these and took pictures didn't you?
    This issue might be settled once & for all by a little old fashioned Archaeology.

13. jonesy

No thanks, not going to be posting anything on that MSC thread :cool:

Best for us vendors not to comment on each others threads, it just leads to petty arguments and then the mods start to censor posts to try and keep the peace.

My threads about capacitors were originally in the Tone Freaks sections as sticky threads, but because of all this bickering they were actually deleted at one point and then brought back in the vendor section.

jonesy

2 people like this.
  14. jaik

jaik Senior Member

hahaha right on, well I appreciate both of your perspectives. I'm just hoping someone actually slices a couple of these open and takes pictures so we can see.
    I want to restore my 1957 les paul special, the caps I think would have been PIO eyelet version bumblebees , if there's some question at all whether the non-eyelet version is PIO or Mylar makes it hard to justify the inflated prices they're selling for. Oh well.

15. jonesy

Lot's of info here on the Dr. Vintage website about the two different types of Bumble Bees, Mylar & Paper in Oil...just scroll down page past the switches...

Dr. Vintage -1950's Gibson Electricals

16. jonesy

Bump to the top from page 6 :)

17. littlejon

littlejon Senior Member

I just use a "Sweet Potato" Now

Jonesy do you remember that video I laughed my butt off watching you do this!!

18. littlejon

littlejon Senior Member

"Spud Tone"

19. jonesy

OMG :laugh2:

Yeah I was talking to a guy from the UK the other day on the phone and we were discussing caps in great detail and I brought that up. I smile every time I think about using that potato for a tone cap :)

20. cooljuk

I opt for tater tots for a little more sizzle on the top end. :D