My Warmoth Venture (pictures yay!)

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by xsouldriverx, Mar 27, 2009.

1. kspeed

kspeed Senior Member

Fun stuff hunting down wiring problems, at least this one didn't end up as a wild goose chase.

2. xsouldriverx

xsouldriverx V.I.P. Member

yeah, it just sucks gettng a new switch. either order a new switchcraft online and pay shipping... or get a gibson brand one from a local store....

3. xsouldriverx

yeah so i wired this up with the new switch and the same thing is happening. either that HB is SILENT or there is something wrong and im leaning towards its silent b/c it even cuts the neck p90. i dont know where to go from here though, maybe ill bring it to someone to figure it out for me. i dont think any of the solder joints are bad or anything like that and i dont know where to go from here so ehhhhhh.

4. FF_Pedals

FF_Pedals Senior Member

Sorry, I haven't read all of this, but in the pictures it looks like there could be a short from the ground wire touching one of the signal lines. Might just be an optical illusion. You need a multimeter with a continuity tester. It'll have a symbol that looks like a little speaker and beeps when you touch it together. Use this to make sure there aren't any shorts. You can make your own tester with a 9V battery, a resistor ~220 ohm - 4.7k ohm and an LED or buzzer.

5. xsouldriverx

yeah im testing everything and re soldering stuff. thanks for the input. i think it might be a cranky pot as well so im going to switch it out and rewire things. ive been meaning to get a meter from my uncle since ive been/ plan on doing a lot of soldering but i dont have much time lately seeing my friends are home from college for the summer.

ps the hb works when the hot is connected straight to the input/output so im guessing something is bad on the switch end or the pot

6. xsouldriverx

long story short i got everything working correctly but the camera on my phone (the only thing ive been able to use for pictures) seems to be broken. i think its a bad connection with the focus/"take picture" button. bad connections are the story of my life lately heh.
    anyway......
    i got my vht rig in thanks to brett at eddies. and im starting another build that ill post up here. the second build isnt nearly as complicated or long. more of a parts caster type thing.

7. xsouldriverx

8. xsouldriverx

long time no update. finally got a lot of work done. 3 way switch was taken out so i can rewire some things but besides that things have been full steam ahead the past week or so.
    [​IMG]

9. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Man, I like that.

10. xsouldriverx

ill get a picture of the headstock up close when i can. the padauk wood in the next browned a bit but still have a nice red to it.

11. Memphs202

Memphs202 Senior Member

Damn that was/is kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. xsouldriverx

yeah, wiring is still giving me a problem and im not happy about it. im thinking bad 3-way switch but im not sure. bad grounding hum etc etc. im going to try to take the hot from the pots and go direct to the jack and see if it works fine for both pups. if thats fine then ill replace the switch. if it doesnt im going to start from scratch. clean up all the solder i can and just redo it all. im hoping it doesnt come to that.

13. mcbattle

mcbattle Senior Member

:applause::applause::dude:

That is one raw battle-axe, I like it.

14. xsouldriverx

sometime i solder above it to "add character"

15. Pani

Pani Member

+1, I agree! It's comming out great!

16. xsouldriverx

i fixed the wiring today and i just need to get a proper jack plate so i can mount the output jack. that, setting intonation and pup height and im set.

17. Tuya Customs

Tuya Customs Senior Member

Dude I just saw this.... HOLY SANTA CLAUS SHIT that thing kicks ass!!!! Looks like you picked it up at an abandoned "guitar" impound. :dude: Sick bro how does it sound? Oh and what happened to those shotgun shell knobs and pickup covers?

I bet gibson wishes they had thought of this idea for their BFG line.

18. xsouldriverx

i have the pup cover sitting here in front of my computer. the shotgun shells i was wondering how to attach. either put them over fender bell knobs that have the lip removed (its been done before) or use cork and put them directly on the pots. now that i can legally buy wine the cork wont be an issue to find ::wink, wink::

it sounds prety good but the neck pup needs adjusting. its just too low to sound like its true hot WB90 self.

19. MikeGates

MikeGates Senior Member

I think using the bell knobs with the edges sanded off will work the best. I can imagine that the cork would get loose after time.

20. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Yeah, and then he'd have to soak the cork to get it enlarged again.