My Version of a Jimmy Page Tribute

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by guitarjoem, Sep 10, 2017.

1. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Double Platinum Supporter MLP Vendor

Hey, Just a couple of very simple modifications to my 2016 Les Paul Traditional. Since "Double Cream" pickups are so scarce, I've found a pretty easy work around. I really like the sound of the Seymour Duncan "Whole Lotta Humbucker" and they have a custom shop, so...

[​IMG]LPP by joe mergens, on Flickr

... if you call their custom shop or order on line, you can request "double parchment" coils and request that they not solder the cover in place. Since the pickup doesn't cost any more with the cover, and you can order the pickup to just about any spec you'd want, i was pretty stoked.

It took a little less than the six weeks they quoted to build me a pickup. It was a very easy drop in replacement for the Classic 57+ that was stock in the guitar.

Here's the result-

[​IMG]LP1 by joe mergens, on Flickr

I've got nickel Grover milk bottle tuners on the way soon, and I swapped in a blank truss rod cover. For now the bridge will stay, and the guitar will aged naturally as I play it. It's really just a tribute cosmetically as it has a fuller neck that I prefer. I'll post more pics as it changes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    jc2000, BlueCajun, jaycoyoyo and 13 others like this.
  2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Looks nice!!

Creamtone rings and guard too?

3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Nice! I like double cream lots more than zebra, since the black (never meant to be seen) doesn't match the rest of the plastic parts. I love your sensible upgrades, and that's very interesting input about the Duncans. I've been buying Seymour Duncan stuff since he first started selling stuff out of his early residence in Santa Barbara and continue to think that he offers an extremely high quality product for very reasonable cost -- unlike just about everyone else. I like your guitar a lot!

Gtarzan81 and Zoobiedood like this.
  4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

That parchment is a wonderful match!

5. guitarjoem

Here are the tuners installed..

[​IMG]Untitled by joe mergens, on Flickr

..and the back..

..the front..

and the back..

..I went with the vintage nickel milk bottle style Grovers instead of the gold as this is a guitar that is a tribute, but it is to my tastes. It definitely has similarities, but many differences.

6. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

We need sound bites now.

7. guitarjoem

Okay. I'm not really set up to record in anything but reference quallty, but I'll see what I can do in the next day or so...

8. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I see you have the GOOD reflectors too..nice touch!

9. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Does the fact that you're into Page tribute mean that you're into playing Zep?
    If so please give a run down of those pedals which I presume you use to get that Page tone.
    Is the amp a Fender Bassbreaker?
    BP

10. guitarjoem

There are so many tones Jimmy Page uses, but primarily I use either a Telecaster or the Les Paul (in this thread) with low output pickups straight thru my Supro Black Magick for some tones, or I'll use a mixture of: ElectroHarmonix Soul Food, ElectroHarmonix Small Clone, tc electronic FlashBack with a tone print, a vintage style single knob Fuzz pedal I made, a Hendrix wah (should be a Vox, really), a MXR Phase 90, and I'll use either my Orange TH30 or the Supro.

The pedals you see on the floor in that picture are just a few that I'm checking out or that happened to be there. My friend sent me a couple of micro pedals to check out (a fuzz pedal and a compressor), and I recently bought the Mooer Slow Gear clone. There's a wild Danelectro Psycho Flange in the background, and you can't see my rehoused Danelectro Chicken Salad (rotary speaker simulator I call it a RoboChicken Salad).

That amp in the picture is my little practice amp. It's actually a rehoused (and modded) 15 watt Fender Pro Junior. I used the Fromel Electronics kit and replaced all the components in the tone stack, as well as all of the filter caps. I adjusted the voicing of the amp so it breaks up just a little sooner, and is a bit rougher around the edges over all. I replaced the speaker with Celestion Greenback, sounds great and VERY different than a typical Jensen. I also changed out the power switch for a three position switch and wired it as a On/Standby/Off instead of the original On/Off. The cabinet was custom made by Peter Mather at Mather Cabinets. And I found the font online that looks like the Marshall script and a friend 3D printed the "Fender" logo out for me. It's like a weird Fender/Marshall hybrid. I have plans to swap out the volume and tone pots so I can change the chicken head knobs for Marshal style knobs, but also to use a better quality set of pots and to swap in a push/pull pot so I can also add the option to disable the Negative Feedback Loop in the amps design.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  11. apfelbaum

apfelbaum Senior Member

Really nice setup you have there. double cremes are beautiful on that guitar

guitarjoem likes this.
  12. guitarjoem

Thanks much!

13. ledlover2

ledlover2 Senior Member

Looks good!

guitarjoem likes this.
  14. guitarjoem

15. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

I recommended going with a double cream for someone else going for a page tribute. Double creams are my favorite and I think black looks terrible. Yours came out awesome! I love it!

16. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

I'm surprised they make them. I believe Dimarzio holds the patent for double cremes.

17. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

I have a set of SD Custom Shop Pearly Gates pickups in my No1 LP and they are magical, worth every penny

18. guitarjoem

Yeah, that's why you order double parchment with a cover (to avoid violating the patent) and ask that they not solder the cover in place so you can simply remove it without having to desolder it before installing the pickup. There is no cost differential with or without the cover, but without the cover you cannot order the double parchment, as you say, to avoid patent infringement.

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  19. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

Loads of pickup makers use double cream now; look at Monty's of London, Wizz, CreamTone - these are all making the 2-cream combo. That being said, I can't remember seeing them being referred to as double-cream/creme...? Are they able to get around this by using slightly different tints in colour or defining them with alternating descriptions?

guitarjoem likes this.
  20. guitarjoem

Yeah, Pesh. They called this one a double parchment.

Pesh likes this.