My "Strat"

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Eddie, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Eddie

Eddie V.I.P. Member

Well, I used to play Strats long ago, but I found the Les Paul more comfortable with the lower action and less string tension. After that, I began missing a good Strat tone for certain things, but none of the newer Strats had the "real" Strat tone I wanted. I looked into some of the custom shop models, but they were a whole lot of cash for what I wanted and the radius was too much for me. So, I decided to build my own from parts. I started with an ebay special unfinished body with no routing. I also wanted a hardtail, so I decided to route it as such. I wanted less string tension, so I started the string holes about a quarter of an inch too far back and angled them to line uo with the bridge holes. This relieved the tension to my liking. Then I finished it in Sonic Blue nitro (was looking for a late '59 look to the instrument). I added a Warmoth compund radius neck with Brazilian RW board over birdseye maple. Fender reissue tuners, bridge, and guard as well. Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pickups and RS wiring completed this one. I also reliced it myself (real cold checking) and rolled the fretboard edges for comfort.

I wound up with a "Strat" that sounds like a vintage Strat should, only plays on par with shredder axes. I really love this one a lot. Please go easy on me, it was my first relic job and is still sort of in progress... Also, since I never plan on selling it (and it's the closest I'll ever get to owning a pre-CBS), I did add a '59 style Fender logo. Nobody with half an ounce of Fender knowledge would be fooled into thinking it was real though :).

Here's a shot right after I got it put together, but before relic time:

[​IMG]

And now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

I like it.

3. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

I myself coulda done without the chick, but the guitar sure looks loved. Nice job

4. M.T. Pockets

M.T. Pockets V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

5. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I kinda liked it before the relic job. Love the Daphne blue!

6. Eddie

Eddie V.I.P. Member

Thanks guys! If I make another, I will probably leave it new looking. This one is Sonic, btw. I thought about Daphne, but I always wanted a well loved Sonic blue Strat. I think the next will be Surf Green!!! This thing has the "Spanish Castle Magic" sound!!!

7. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I like the color, I like the guitar and I like the girl sticker, Thinkin of those for at least one of my Strats as well ! Ok I confess I am a horn dawg ! LOL JUst think its sweet art

8. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Wow...that looks so much like a Daphne Blue..

9. Eddie

Eddie V.I.P. Member

It's a little bit paler.

10. loneguitar

loneguitar Senior Member

I liked it before as well, but to each his own, thanks for the pics bro

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Senior Member

Nice job. I particularly like the aging effect on the pickguard and pickup covers.

You could have been a little harder on the body - a few more hard dings would look appropriate, and a little more finish worn off - but overall I think the effect is cool. :thumb:

How did you get the plastic to yellow like that?

12. Eddie

Eddie V.I.P. Member

Thanks guys. I do appreciate that some will like the aging and some will not. I got the yellowing by using ReRanch tinted clear laquer. This is a great guitar though. It sounds more like a vintage Strat than the new Fenders I tried (which isn't that many)...

13. AS90

AS90 Senior Member

Im currently turning an old Korean Squier into a '57 Strat. I have ordered nickel tuners, an 8 hole scratchplate. Its going to get the RS treatment and some decent pickups. I also added a decal then distressed it a little, still a work in progress...

[​IMG]

14. Rico

Rico Senior Member

Really nice job. :applause:

15. AS90

AS90 Senior Member

Finished...

[​IMG]

16. Zaphod

Zaphod Senior Member

Now you just need to drag it behind your car for a couple of blocks and it'll be just right. :shock:

17. AS90

AS90 Senior Member

I'll wait until I change the plywood body for a solid one!

18. notoperational

notoperational MLP Sponsor

I don't get into the "relic" thing. I think that was a great Strat before hand, now... It's just ugly and looks like somebody used it as an ashtray or something.

Whatever floats your boat though. I am not about relicing, but I am all about making the guitar yours. But you what, you dig it, so its cool! I don't have to like it lol