My Perryburst is heading to Orlando!

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by sikoniko, May 15, 2013.

1. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

thanks everyone for the kind words... for those of you interested, here are some of the pics I have not shared as of yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Awesome!

What about back and sides??? Close ups of the FB and Head Stock???

C'mon out with it.......Dammit Man.....:cool:

3. SkyDogJr

SkyDogJr Senior Member

Not trying to be an ass here...this is just an observation...

The angle at which you held the guitar for these two pics makes it look like a plain top to me.

Does anyone else see any flamed maple distinction in these two shots (especially compared to the other shots)?

My point is that lighting and angle make one hell of a difference in how an instrument looks.

3 people like this.
  4. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Yes absolutely...That's "Peek a Boo" flame/figure!

Technical term for wood is "Chatoyance" The wood fiber, at the very tips under the nitro are "standing" on end and create this effect with the changing light. My 2012 is very much like that. The 03 R9 is not, that figure is not as motion sensitive... rather it has a very 3D effect. It looks like many a mountain ranges from space....sorta hard to put in words....what I am trying to say is there is varying degrees of Chatoyancy....

2 people like this.
  5. kracdown

kracdown Premium Member

one of the best looking LP's I've ever seen....

1 person likes this.
  6. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

I agree. The flame/guitar looks different from each angle. pretty cool effect. The beauty of nature. :thumb:

7. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Been following the thread.

Guitar looks beautiful!

8. guitarmandp

guitarmandp Senior Member

One of the original owners said this guitar in person looked exactly like a norlin tobacco sunburst les paul deluxe.

9. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Senior Member

You are quite determined to stir the pot and rain on this man's parade at the same time, aren't you?

You said a few posts back that you would show YOUR guitar when he showed his. Now, are you going to put your money where your mouth is?

1 person likes this.
  10. guitarmandp

by this guitar I meant Joe Perry's 1959 Les Paul not the historic makeover guitar

11. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

OK! from the side. :thumb:

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  12. Rodolphe

Rodolphe Senior Member

this pic is sexy...
    there' a huge 3D effect on the top from this angle

1 person likes this.
  13. sunking420

sunking420 Senior Member

One of the last comments saying it looks like a Norlin. I've owned a Norlin tobaccoburst....and this does NOT look like a Norlin era paintjob. Matter of fact I sold that Norlin years ago because of the ridiculous looking paintjob....This guitar may just be the epitome of darkbursts on this forum. The Darkburst thread I started a little while ago had some absolutely perfect specimens, this runs neck and neck with all of them.....As far as aging like everyone recommends, I personally would leave it like this for a year at least. If you want to age it after that, see if Kim could do it later. It's already the perfect Perry and gives you something to look forward to in changing it later. I've never yet given a commission to Historic Makeovers, but being an hour from where I live it would be easy enough. I don't know if you live close enough to Orlando for that option. Anyway, this guitar came out as I expected it to. I knew what kind of bread went into it, and if it was my guitar, I would feel like money well spent. Beautiful!!!!! Now go play the hell out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!Enjoy......

14. guitarmandp

I didn't say this guitar looked like a norlin I said joe Perry's original looks like a norlin

15. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

shots for the afternoon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. Jabberwocky

That's one of the most luscious Tobacco Bursts I have ever laid eyes on. It looks like someone put a choice 1959 Lester away in a time capsule in 1959, climate controlled and all, and it has just been opened in 2013.

I love the recurve in the top. I won't comment on the price of the HM RDS package but I can see that if you are really aching badly for one "done right" and can't live with yourself until it is done so, you have made the right choice.

There is price. And then there is value. What did Oscar Wilde say about a cynic? One who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. This one has value to the right person way beyond its price tag.

P.S. I must say that I am tempted and converted. Gibson 2013 R9s are fine in their own right. But this HM has an ineluctable something a little more going for it.

2 people like this.
  17. Jabberwocky

I'd also choose to keep it that way for a year or longer. Make a deal with Kim LaFleur about the option of bringing it back to him for ageing or relic-king in a year or so without an extra charge. Weathering or relic-king is an art. And one pays the RDS charge for that art. But I don't really like the marks on a Joe Perry.

The key thing is whether it plays great and sounds superb. Put your own marks on it. They are real and yours, not simulated.

18. KOTR

KOTR Senior Member

Age it. Replicate the real Perry Burst.

19. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

This is not a bad idea..... Call it the "Extended Aging Program" But thats why I did the aging on 8 6800 the way I did. I only wanted the checking and minor nicks and scratches, Four or five of which were already on the guitar when it was sent. Those nicks were deep in the wood and were retained in the top and I think a few on the sides. The point "for me" was to accelerate the checking because that could take decades. there was a bit of accelerated aging done to the metals to make it all match. Then I did some plastics aging. Came out Very Nice.

This thread has got some pretty fabulous pics, I love this one.

1 person likes this.
  20. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

Wow!:wow::wow::wow:

1 person likes this.