My Perryburst is heading to Orlando!

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by sikoniko, May 15, 2013.

1. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

Tomorrow I will be dropping my Perryburst (VOS 002) off at Historic Makeovers! Still trying to decide how far I want to go with converting it... ie. leave it looking like it does now, but with the RDS treatment, or go full-out with the look it had in the 70's. As a reference, here is how it looks today:

[​IMG]

At some point I plan on putting PAFs in the guitar. On the other forum it has been said that the original pickups are no longer with 9 0663 anyways. If I go with the current/slash NR look, it won't change much, but the burst will be sprayed 'more correctly'.

If I return it to how it looked in the 70's, the following is what was on it when Joe Owned it:

Gold Grovers
    Gold ABR1
    Gold Stop Tail
    Double Black Pickups (no covers)
    Speed knobs on all but the neck volume

Kim suggests I leave it as it is most recognizable (a-la BOTB or similar to how it shipped).

Oh ya, did I mention that tomorrow I will also be bringing home a '56 Goldtop (vintage) I'm buying off of Kim? I'll do a full-fledged NVGD thread in the Vintage section once she is home but here is a teaser:

[​IMG]

She had the gold redone (but everything else is still original), as the original owner put some funky glitter stuff on it.

Tomorrow is going to be fun!

2. markguitar

markguitar MLP Sponsor

Why would you even think of doing that to a limited run collectable guitar????

26 people like this.
  3. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Senior Member

Yeah, it's your money but damn. Why not just get a 'regular' R9 done up to look like the Perry?

5 people like this.
  4. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Senior Member

If you are a Joe Perry fan, do it as it looked in the 70s when Joe Perry owned it.
    If you are a Slash fan, do it as it looked in the 80s when Slash owned it and used it in November Rain.
    If you are an HM fan, do it as it looks in the Teens when Gibson did it Signed and Aged, just to show Gibson Kim LaFleur can do a better and more "correct" Joe Perry Signed and Aged than Gibson Custom Shop, shame on them.

If you are not a fan of any of the above, do it as it pleases you. Perhaps a New 9 0663 fresh as the day it left the factory in 1959 (pretend it is 1959 all over again) with fresh new nitro, no plasticisers please, or a New Old Stock 9 0663 left unsold and forgotten in its shipping box for the last 54 years and recently discovered in the back of a store-room with a preserved unworn aged nitro patina, no plasticisers please.

The mind boggles at the possibilities.

3 people like this.
  5. Jabberwocky

HM does it better.

Unthinkable. See above. HM does it better.

Sometimes the obvious isn't all that obvious. Sometimes, people just like to "improve" things and cannot leave well enough alone.

It's really his guitar. One fewer Joe Perry VOS collectible left in the world, 150 Minus 1.

One Joe Perry VOS plus one HM RDS package >= $10 000.00. It'd better be worth it.

1 person likes this.
  6. journeyman73

journeyman73 Senior Member

point being made, i think, is you paid a nice premium for something that you are now customizing away.

obviously, anyone can do anything they like with their guitar.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jabberwocky

I'm enjoying this. Why not sell your Joe Perry VOS, recover the money you paid for it, plow part of it into a used R9 of any vintage with a monster top and then have HM finish it to look like 9 0663. You could even have 9 0663 printed on the back of the headstock!

One used R9 plus one HM RDS package >= $7200. World saves one Joe Perry VOS from certain death as a collectible.

(What does one lose on a few weeks' old Joe Perry VOS on the resale market? He has a very early serial number 002 so that gotta be worth something. Nice top too. I hope Kim LaFleur talks him out of it and tells him that the same thing can be done on any R9.)

8. patsanger

patsanger Senior Member

Honestly, I agree with the leave it alone, but then again he will have the only HM Perry (for now). It won't lose collectability, but I doubt the resale will be in the black for quite a few years.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I don't know on this one....split right up the middle....Kim does fantastic work, but your changing a JP Signature.

You know what I would do.....Get an R8 with similar grain...you'll have more $$ left over for that PAF....:hmm: and more room on the neck reshaping....

But its your dream....go live it.....:wave:

And I say this because the one on your left (avatar) looks exactly like a perry and its an R8, and being considered by me for the same thing.....(its too red in the pic)

1 person likes this.
  10. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

I get what he is trying to do. He is making the guitar the true "perry burst" replica complete with pickups, Grover's etc. agree to a point actually. If Gibson want to remake the guitar like it was off the rack then call it the serial number. If you want to replicate the guitar as used by Perry or Slash, then release it like it was. They just did that with another guitar where only one pickup was converted from p90 to humbucker.

Kim has a reputation now so having the one true replica done by him might not be bad....as long as he sells to a big Perry fan like himself which I assume was the target audience to begin with. If it is a keeper for him, who cares. His kids or whomever settles the estate has to worry about who gets or buys it. Lol.

For reference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. Lemonhead

Lemonhead Senior Member

Just wondering here. What makes the guitar in the 1st pic a Perry Burst? Looks like a regular R9 to me.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

Gibson said so? Maybe that is why the OP wants to mod it a bit.

13. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

All these posts and not one comment about the '56 I'm buying... heheh :)

Why am I doing this? Because Gibson got it wrong, IMO. They put a generic burst (paint, not flame) on the guitar. Compare the picture of the top horn on mine to the pic from BOTB. If I have Kim do an RDS and leave it as is (not aged, braz fretboard, correct non-vos paint, etc) I don't see it damaging the value. If I walked into a store and saw 2 perry bursts of equal cost and I knew one had braz board and PAFs I would buy this one every time. Remember, this guitar DOES have a Perryburst COA.

Now, if I modify it to how the guitar was in the 70's, that is more extreme, and I believe your arguments hold up... and certainly something I am not yet commited to. But, is reversible...

In regards to cost, its already a sunk cost. I own it. I did not pay full retail for it. I paid about what you would pay for an r9 without a discount.

For those that claim this guitar is a collectible... I find that ironic, because when the guitar was announced, many people claimed quite the opposite... that there was no collector value in a VOS, only the aged models. In fact, many people felt the VOS was a waiste of money, as the upcharge was not justifiable over a regular R9.

2 people like this.
  14. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

The COA and serial number.

1 person likes this.
  15. Lemonhead

Lemonhead Senior Member

:)

Mod the ****er however you like!

3 people like this.
  16. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Oh.. I thought the 56' was yours...in that case HNGD! :) Thats awesome!

Your right... the fade is all wrong...but the idea (I believe) was to release it as it would have looked un faded/un aged. But know one is sure what it looked like. Thats why I think that the Allman Burst (really a Bourbon Burst with more brown) was a sort of a test color....so your not going with the braz board?

1 person likes this.
  17. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

IMHO, it's all about what makes you happy and if you have the money and modifying it to look like it was in the '70s/'80s will make you happy, then go for it!

18. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

thanks!

I will do a full RDS. I just wasn't plan on aging it.. or if it is, it will be subtle.

19. journeyman73

journeyman73 Senior Member

thats the whole point. gibson said so...once you go the HM route, gibson wouldnt say so anymore.

anyone that is going to pay the premium for an HM being resold, isnt going to care that the donor guitar was perry VOS...and anyone that is in the market for a perry VOS isnt going to care how much more accurate HM made it because its lost its official gibson perry collectibility.

especially if you are going to swap pickups the only thing that is going to be perry-specific from gibson is going to be the neck profile.

just my .02

3 people like this.
  20. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

Well that's if Kim doesn't change the neck. What if it from all objective criteria does end up looking more like the original than Gibsons finish did? I will tell you that Kim has had several Bursts....some of which would be definate candidates as CC, in his shop for repairs etc.

Pretty highly thought of at this point.

And I have nothing he has ever done etc...this is the "word" from people who deal in the really high priced stuff.