My Norlin goes in the shop tomorrow ...

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by NorlinBlackBeauty, Nov 30, 2017.

1. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

I've learned an awful lot in the 40+ years I've had the LP.

I've done all I know how to. My LP needs professional fretwork and setup. One thing I am able to address is the tuners. I also recently installed a Faber Tone-Lock ABR-1 bridge to replace the somewhat shaky original Tune-O-Matic.

The OEM Grover Rotomatics seemed a bit wonky with a fair amount of shaft play. With a 12:1 ratio, they make tuning more of a chore than needed.

I had a set of Schaller M6 Vintage tuners in gold I bought on eBay a while back at a good price. Finally found a use for them. They are now on my LP Custom. I needed to widen the holes in the LP headstock by .01" or so with a tiny bit of sanding. They now fit more snuggly than the OEM Grovers ever did. This has to be good for stability ...

I re-used the Grover washers as they are wider in diameter than the Schallers and used the Grover screws on the back of the headstock.

I have a set of modern (Asian made) Grover Rotomatic chrome take offs from one of my Martins. The M6 Schallers are closer to the 70s USA made Grovers from my LP dimension-wise than the modern Grovers. The modern Rotomatics would have required more hole sanding to fit the headstock.

The M6 are 16:1. I put a set of M6s on my HD-28 and am able to keep it in tune quite well. I'm hoping for something similar once the LP comes out of the shop.

A set of M6 on my HD-28:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Yikes!

According to the luthier, the refret done nearly 40 years ago was absolute rubbish. I did not know nearly as much back then as I do now, but clearly recall not really liking the way the LP "felt" afterwards. There seemed to be too much fretboard sanded down. He then showed me why and now I that know a lot more I'd have to agree.

It was indeed a badly done job, got f'd up along the way and they had to remove too much fretboard to try to save the work. It ended up having a compound radius fretboard in the wrong direction; flatter where it should have been rounder and too round where it should have been flatter. The frets were dressed down to about .034" - too low in his opinion. They were too hard on the binding as well.

So it needs all new frets and fix the radius issue. Lastly, they borked the original nut adding a shim I was never aware of. He showed me - sure enough there was the shim. Never noticed it. A new nut is needed.

The one bit of good news is the truss rod seems OK despite the two drops on the headstock. He was astounded the drops were not fatal.

I'm afraid to mention how much $ the quote is. I don't know what that level of work should cost.

This guy builds acoustics from scratch. The examples of works in progress looked impressive. It is a well equipped shop.

3. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Hope it turns out well for you. I'll bet it'll play and feel great when you get it back!

4. scozz

scozz Senior Member

How about some pics when you get it back?

5. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Change of plans ... I contacted a repair guy I've know for many years about the repair shop the LP is at. He said DO NOT use them and rattled off a lot of info about his previous work. Should have hit this guy up in the first place. He may have saved me $475 worth of grief! I have a new reference I trust and will be calling them soon. He'd do the work himself, but he said the referenced shop is better at the type of work needed.

Seems there is a fair bit of incompetence out there ...

6. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Picked up the LP today - no hassles.

I did notice something while I was waiting for this guy to finish work on a Yamaha acoustic. There was one of his made from scratch acoustic bodies sitting on a shelf that had some bits of the top ripped out of.

I asked about it and he said it was a project he abandoned after realizing the top was too thin. There was some herringbone inlay on the top and back that did not look quite right fitment-wise. A cautionary yellow flag?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 7:14 PM
  7. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Did the new guy give you any names/numbers of former clients/customers of his to contact to check on his work?

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  8. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

I trust the repair guy I've known for some 40 years with his recommendation. He is the one who warned me about Mr. top too thin. We had a good chat yesterday. I thought he was giving me the brush off several months back (it is complicated), but we are on good terms again. Just a matter of giving the suggested luthier a call.

I'll post up any further developments. :)

9. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Left voice mail with the recommended luthier.

10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Hope it works out for you. Definitely +1 on the references.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  11. ElectricKaibutsu

ElectricKaibutsu Member

Good luck! I hope everything goes well. I'm looking forward to seeing pics when it's finished.

12. Oatie

Oatie Junior Member

Too bad Gibson does not have a restoration shop for the general public. I hope you get it back better than new.

13. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Better than new would be far too much to ask. Better than the refret done 39 years ago would be nice. Not sure how much ebony is left for that. This has me somewhat concerned.

Still waiting on a call back. :/ I reached out to the guy who gave me the reference. He said he'll check in with him soon.

14. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

I'm not sure it is a good sign that someone to whom you were recommended still hasn't returned your call.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  15. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

I'm inclined to agree. Don't have a good feeling here.

16. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Member

Just got the call back from Jack. He started off apologizing not getting back to be promptly - says it is unlike him.

Very talkative - seems genuinely interested to help and excited to see the LP. I'll head over there Monday. :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 7:08 PM
  17. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

busy time of the year, if he seems genuine and was give a good recommendation, go check him out.