My new Roadworn Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by diceman, Feb 14, 2009.

1. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Mine is 2 tone - just the light... It has a nice fade, though - makes for a reddish looking "3rd" color, but it is just the fade.

2. Guido

Guido The Gweeeed V.I.P. Member

Yes, but I like the fade...Ive seen some on which the change of color is abrupt and just black-yellow...I guess Ill have Brett email me photos of every RW he has on stock when buying :laugh2:

3. alpinestudio

alpinestudio Senior Member

Diceman, what's up with you and Fenders all of a sudden? Rock on!

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I'm lovin' them! They sound great with the band, having one Les Paul and then a Fender to fill the sound out a little bit. I've been a Les Paul snob for so long now that I haven't really given Fenders much of a chance - and my tastes in guitars sure have changed in the past 10 years! Teles and Strats are fantastic guitars... I never touched them when I was younger.

I'm having a hell of a good time with these things!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my "Baby Shit" Tele is starting to look almost as good as it plays and sounds!

[​IMG]

5. jimmypage14

jimmypage14 Senior Member

And my "Baby Shit" Tele is starting to look almost as good as it plays and sounds!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Nice Sticker :laugh2:

6. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I love that sticker... ;)

7. alpinestudio

I'm on the same boat as you are. I've owned a strat and strat style guitars here and there over the years, but wasn't too crazy about them..that's because I've been buying the wrong ones. Once I found a good one..the Fender Fever came about! Abandoned my humbucking electrics. Have you looked into the USA G&L guitars?

8. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I had my hands all over a used G&L Bluesboy today - its orange, and badass. USA (not "Tribute" line). It has a humbucker in the neck position, which is a turn off for me, but it could always have the guard swapped out and a SC installed, or a coil tap.

I really do like the G&Ls. My buddy Geoff (MissoulaGriz here) has an amazing G&L ASAT Tele which I absolutely love. My next guitar purchase will either be an ASAT or a Fender Tele. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'd spend big money on a guitar without a nitro finish - which is the only hit against G&L. I do think that their quality is better, electronics and hardware, etc - the only down point for me is the poly finish.

But... yeah. Fenders are my new obsession, and humbuckers are just too refined for me lately.

Here is a shot from a few minutes ago. I love the fact that I can just toss these Fenders on the floor without having to worry about breaking my headstock off!

[​IMG]

9. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

looks 3/4 scale in this pic

10. alpinestudio

Love the Fenders! I have tried out a few Fender Telecaster american series and standards and also the japanese counterparts, but I prefer the G&L more. It had a better finish and just sounded a bit deeper with a bit more output. I guess I like single coils wound a little bit hotter.

11. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

No doubt the crafstmanship on the G&L's IS better than Fender - its all in the details.

Nitro is still a big factor for me, though...

I don't know. It'll be a tough decision when the time comes for me to make it!

12. Olli

Olli Senior Member

Nitro all the way Dice......I´ve sworn to myself never to buy a poly-finished guitar ever again.

13. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I think you're right, Olli. If I'm spending more than a few hundred bucks on a guitar, I might as well go all the way and get Nitro...

14. Olli

Olli Senior Member

You have exactly my point there.

I just love the look, the smell and the feel of a nitro finished guitar. Best thing if it is very thin so that you can see the grain of the wood from certain angles. Especially the fact that you can see the wood grain is a big factor to my - reminds me that the finish is nice and thin and does not keep the wood from vibrating too much.

I don´t see the point of buying a new poly finished guitar, taking it all apart and have the body refinished. You can get a nitro finished guitar for the time and money you invest in such a project.

Too bad most of the Fenders are poly or nitro over poly - even the USA line. The "Thin Skin" Finish of my Masterbuilt is a big thing for me - even if most people will say it´s just a marketing trick. I just love to look at it. Wildwood has a few USA Thin Skin Models and if I was in the Market for a non Customshop Fender - this is where I would start.

Too bad I´ve become a Customshop - Snob.

15. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

:D

I know what you're saying. That is why the Roadworns are such a good deal IMO.

Your Masterbuilt is amazing, by the way.

It is pretty hard to find a Nitro finished guitar from Fender, for sure. I'm surprised they don't make some thin skin USA models.

16. gishuk

gishuk Senior Member

arnt the usa made 'year' reissues thinskin nitro? not sure im sure ive seen some for sale that are though

17. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Gishuk - I got a great deal on an American Vintage '57 RI from Brett (and Eddie's Guitars) - it'll be here in a week or so (I had it shipped to my parents' place as I was visiting, but it ended up arriving the day after I left! I'll have it by Monday). I've heard rumors that there may be a Poly sealer coat on the AVRI's, but will have to take a look for myself and see what I can figure out.

18. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Anyone interested in hearing the Roadworn in action can check out "Down At The Pub" and "Our Little Secret" at my band's myspace page:

Come Up Swinging on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Keep in mind that this is shitty punk rock music. These are just guitar in to my Classic 50, clean and lead channels on the amp.

The other guitar you hear is a Les Paul - so you should have no trouble picking out the Strat!

19. gishuk

gishuk Senior Member

.:: Fender®.com ::.

according to fenders site it says nitro, but doesnt mention thinskin anywhere so it could have poly underneath. im sure ive seen them described as thin skin somewhere thought :hmm: be interested to see what yours is when you get it, they look bloody nice either way though

20. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Right - they do look nice. Fender is good about saying "nitro" but meaning "nitro over poly" aren't they?