My new Roadworn Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by diceman, Feb 14, 2009.

1. LPClassic07

LPClassic07 Senior Member

Here are pics of my new Road Worn 60s strat that I picked up over the weekend at GC. Rings better than any guitar I've ever played. The neck is like butter. The guitar was almost perfectly intonated right off the shelf. I will need to raise the action a hair as there is some buzzing on strings for notes around the 15th and 16th frets. But other than that it's perfect. Interesting story (I think): While they were holding this guitar for me at one GC, I played the same model strat at a different GC. It was so not the same. Couldn't really get a sound out of it I liked. I started to doubt again that I'd EVER own a strat. But then I went back to the original GC to play my original strat and it was perfect, even better than the first time I played it the week before. Grabbed it for under $800 after applying a 15% discount for trading in a useless pedal. The funny thing is, with all the strats hanging on the GC walls, I probably would never have picked out the Road Worn. It just happened to be on a guitar stand in front of the amp that I usually use to test drive their guitars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Thanks FF!

LPClassic - that is VERY nice! I think I like the looks of the 60's better than the 50's - but you fall in love with the guitar you fall in love with - aesthetics aside! I played a white 60's that didn't feel nearly as nice as my 50's. They are somewhat inconsistent I think... I agree with you, though - I love my RW Strat, even over my American Vintage Reissue. My Roadworn did have one high fret that needed to be knocked down by my luthier - you may have the same thing going on. Mine also required a very minor neck shim. It is one of my best playing guitars now - and it sounds awesome. The only guitar I have that might actually play better than my Roadworn is my R8 - and it was 3 times as expensive. ;)

3. LPClassic07

LPClassic07 Senior Member

Thanks Dice. Yeah I know what you mean. Last year I ordered an SG standard online and it was immaculate. But I hated the neck. I returned it, went to GC and found an SG faded for half the price that I liked waaaaaaay better. So with the RW, now I have two guitars that I can throw on the floor without worry.

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

:D It is nice to have a guitar that you don't have to worry about AT ALL!

You need to get us an outdoor shot of your guitar - that tri burst looks fantastic in some good lighting. My shop just had the white ones - but last weekend I saw one just like yours up close and personal, and boy was it beautiful.

I'm a firm believer that the Nitro finish on these guys is applied much better and much thinner than the American Vintage Reissue series. My AVRI is still in good shape - but I've seen pictures of a few AVRI Jazzmasters which have worn through the Nitro and exposed a glossy Poly finish. These Roadworns have an extremely thin Poly sealer coat - but no base finish coat. The spots that I rubbed through with steel wool went right to the wood once the finish was scuffed down.

I've said it before, but I would REALLY like to see a Mexican version of the AVRI made - Nitro body, unaged - and a Nitro finished neck. I think they could keep a price point of $1k.