My new Roadworn Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by diceman, Feb 14, 2009.

1. gishuk

gishuk Senior Member

i didnt check all the models, but the billy corgan is listed there as nitro but is nitro over poly.

as i understand it the 'thin skin' finishes are all nitro, any other nitro finishes are over poly

but as usual i could be wrong :laugh2:

2. Olli

Olli Senior Member

I read a comment from somebody at Fender somewhere that basically said they would seal all of their instruments with a poly undercoat - even if they had a Nitro topcoat. Except for the Customshop models of course.

3. aidb

aidb Senior Member

Love the custom relicing diceman. :)

Btw, what's your RW's serial number? ( if you don't mind)... just a theory I have.

I'm thinking of making my RW's relicing more unique as well. (By expanding the arm wear area. You see it on custom shop Strats.) Can you explain how you created the pick wear? It looks very authentic.

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

SN is MZ8035382

For the pick wear, I scuffed the hell out of it with my pick in the same fashion that I do when I'm playing - just a little harder and repeatedly (a couple thousand passes, probably). I then took some steel wool and used light-medium pressure in the same direction as the pick scuffs.

A buddy built me a custom pedal, so that is where this pic came from, but you can see the buckle wear that I added to the back of the strat, and a little bit of edge wear in the bottom right corner of the pic (I just drug the guitar across my driveway a little bit with only the back edge making contact):

[​IMG]

5. aidb

aidb Senior Member

Thank you for the relicing info. :dude:

Re the serial number:
    On the Telecaster Guitar forum they've got RW owners thread going.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The Road Worn Club
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

|
    |
    |

RW 50s Tele

MZ8038602----- NHDave (NH, USA) -Blonde Maple
    MZ8054944----- Hecks (Oklahoma City, OK) -Blonde Maple
    MZ8179422----- Blackkeys (Germany) -Blonde Maple
    MZ8193035----- BigFatTele (Connecticut, USA) -Blonde Maple 6.7lb
    MZ8193073----- Carzee (Canberra, Australia) -Blonde Maple 6lb 10oz/3050g [Esquire]
    MZ8221557----- Broly (Wynantskill, NY, USA) -Blonde Maple

bceverhart13 (Winter Haven, FL, USA) -?
    microphonicsqueal (Atlanta, GA, USA) -?
    teleboli (Toronto, Canada) -Sunburst Maple
    1forthethumb (Dallas, TX, USA) -Sunburst Maple
    nsriley (Utica, NY, USA) -Sunburst Maple
    Don Mare (CA, USA) -black [was Sunburst Maple]

wylde4canes (North Carolina, USA) -Blonde Maple
    Jellecaster (NH, USA) -Blonde Maple
    Hibachiman Paul (Hugo, MN, USA) -Blonde Maple
    erivel (Albany, CA, USA) -Blonde Maple
    J.K. Vegas (Dallas TX, USA) -Blonde Maple
    Bikedude (Cleveland, OH, USA) -Blonde Maple
    f5joe (Gibsonland, USA) -Blonde Maple
    jashobbs (Newfoundland, Canada) -Blonde Maple
    |
    sold: Tele 2K (Pittsburgh, PA, USA) -Sunburst Maple 7lb
    |
    |
    |

RW 50s Strat

rhinocaster (oregon, USA) -Black Maple 7.3lb
    Sargeslide (Niles, Michigan, USA) -Black Maple

|
    |
    |

RW 60s Strat

MZ8034054----- aidB (Manchester, UK) -Olympic White 7.5lb
    MZ8192875----- NHDave (NH, USA), -Sunburst
    Axix29 (Virginia, USA) -?

|
    |
    |

RW Precision Bass
    |
    RW Jazz Bass

As you can see, mines a 803XXXX as well. I wonder if our Strats are early RW productiion runs? They both seem special. Well, to us anyway. ;)

6. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Could be. I really like mine a lot.

7. lowe

lowe V.I.P. Member

Ive wanted one of these since i played one at sweetwater. i loved it. although id get the black and put a black pickgaurd on it. david gilmoure style!

8. LPClassic07

LPClassic07 Senior Member

Thought I would resurrect this thread as I played a Road Worn 60s strat yesterday at Guitar Center. Sunburst with rosewood fretboard. It played great! For me, the necks are the biggest deterrents on Strats. 9 out of 10 strats I'll put back down after 30 seconds because I instantly don't like the neck. (I love the 60s neck of my Les Paul Classic.) The Road Word 60s strat felt thinner, faster and very comfortable. I'm not sure about the Tex Mex pickups. I love that it can get some SRV type tones but sometimes the mids seemed to shriek a little. Maybe adjusting the pickup height and playing with it more would solve that. But I'm wondering how well these pickups can do punk and classic/hard rock since that is what I play as much as blues. How do they sound with a lot of gain? I guess I can always swap them out for something more versatile at some point. I just have no experience at all with single coil pickups. I'm going to probably go back to GC this evening and try out more strats. They're holding the RW strat for me on lawaway for a month for $100.

GC has that trade in deal again where you can get 15% off. So the RW strat would be about $765 before tax. I also liked the MIM deluxe player's strat. I like the noiseless pickups and gold hardware. The neck is almost as good as the RW. Would be just under $600 after discount. A third option would be to split the humbuckers in my Les Paul.

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts on this to help me shape my decision.

9. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I play in a punk band and they sound great! They handle overdrive much better than my American Vintage Reissue strat does. They are hot and trebbly - but that makes them cut through with the drive cranked up.

10. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Current pix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Kate033

Kate033 Senior Member

I havn't played the Road Worn Strats so I can't weigh in there. I went the crazy route and picked up a Danelectro to cover my single coil needs. :naughty:

I do have my LP set up with Coil Tapping/Phase Switching w/ 4 push pull pots. It's fun to play around with and you can get a lot of nice tones ( I love the out of phase switch - I put it in all my guitars) , but if your looking for a true strat/single coil tone, then this is not your best answer. I would consider this as a way to get more subtle nuances of your humbucker's tone than a way to make your LP sound like a single coil equipped guitar.

You could drop some p90's in your LP...that might get you the best of both worlds. Otherwise go for a strat or tele!

(BTW, love the extra relicing you did the strat Dice! Looks like a real vintage relic now vs. a guitar that someone went after with a razor and sandpaper :))

12. LPClassic07

Thanks Dice. And I agree Kate about needing a strat for a true single coil sound. I would just love though to be able to see what my LP would sound like with the coils split without actually having to do the work (or pay for the work). Not that the humbuckers aren't more than enough.

Been thinking about the RW strat all day at work today. That's a good sign. Since it will be held for me all month at GC, I think I'll take at least one more visit to make sure I play every strat in there under $1K before I buy. But it's definitely in the lead. I'll post pics should I come home with it.

13. Kate033

Kate033 Senior Member

I'm sure you'll find a winner by playing all they have. There's alot of buzz around the Squier Classic Vibe series, and personally I've always really liked the MIJ Fender Strats or a good partscaster best, but you can't always try before you buy. I'm sure you can't go wrong with the RW! They're a great value for the $ and very tempting!

You should definitely try the coil tapping on your lp when you have the time. I always say the differences are subtle b/c some people expect their lp to magically turn into a Strat when the pull the coil tap! :D
    You have to tweak your controls/amp to get the most out of it but once you find that sweet spot it's a lot of fun to have. Maybe not practical, but fun! Theres some decent demos on youtube too.
    I found some push/pull pots on ebay for cheap and wired it up one night while I was sitting on the couch watching tv. It was quick. Not a big deal to do. I did notice though, the pups you have make a big difference in the results. I had a Seymour Duncan JB w/ a Irongear PAF type pup in the neck and wasn't all that impressed but when I put in my Bare Knuckle pups the tone when split was much more distinct, and the out of phase tone was fantastic...then again, the pups alone were so much better on their own anyway :)

Good luck with the strat!

14. LPClassic07

Unfortunately, I'm not one for modding my gear though I do want to learn. I have it on my list to do my first pickup swap sometime in the near future.

Getting back to the road worn theme, I've just heard some great clips on Youtube for the Road Word TELE. I definitely need to check one out tomorrow when I'm back at GC.

BLUES:​

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBygAii3k04]YouTube - Slow blues in G-Fender road worn Telecaster[/ame]

ROCK:​

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRk55z2Fud4]YouTube - Hotel Calfornia- solo-Jason Hobbs-Wampler Pinnacle 2 pedal-road worn telecaster-papa string[/ame]

HARDER ROCK (towards the middle of the clip):​

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ZjJ0Wb0aA]YouTube - Fender Road Worn 50s Stratocaster and 50s Telecaster[/ame]

15. Toften

Toften Senior Member

Those Road Worn guitars are great. I tried one at the local guitar store, and I just fell in love with the guitar. If I had the money I would buy it now. Sadly I don't got the money.
    Personal I prefer the 60's Road Worn strats with rosewood.

16. aidb

aidb Senior Member

Inspired by diceman, I added a bit more arm wear to my RW. :)

[​IMG]

17. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Nice! That grain looks great, too.

18. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

That is sexy. :naughty:

19. aidb

aidb Senior Member

Cheers guys.

20. Nihilist Entombed

Nihilist Entombed Senior Member