My new R4

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by k.guitars, May 8, 2009.

1. Tele Jr.

Tele Jr. Senior Member

The horn playing allegory for me is sort of made up of multi part pieces. One part about the more direct communication link between the brain and the instrument that horn players have, and how to ingrain the extra translation layer that seems to exist with guitar playing as though it were not there. Another about the concept of how to attack the guitar in a way more likened unto putting air through a horn. And another about developing a horn players embouchure like set of chops on the guitar. So those pieces get put together to make the whole thing happen.

I'm clearly from the Armstrong school of horn playing, so Miles has no attraction to me. My attraction to the Fender Telecaster is that it can be a very brass horn sounding instrument, but over the last several years I've become convinced that the best Les Pauls can also do that well, in fact can be like a Tele on steroids.

I'm not interested in any guitar that blows too much like a saxophone...

2. k.guitars

k.guitars Senior Member

I have been going through a love/hate thing with my R4 in the past month or so. Changed pickups twice, considering reshaping the neck, then today I found this R8. It's quite 'Beano' looking to me, the crappy iPhone photo doesn't do it justice, with some great peek-a-boo figure, 8.6 lbs. and a nearly perfect neck. If there's a difference between this and an R9, other than the price tag, then I don't know what it is. I've got it on loan for a few days to think about it and play it through my gear, but I can really only justify one of them so it'll come down to this or my R4.

More photos and details tomorrow or Monday... maybe even clips!

[​IMG]

RAG7890 likes this.
  3. neils

neils Senior Member

Wow K, way to bring back a thread.

Really this or the R4? I can see GAS for a nice HB guitar. But what is the hate part of the R4 lately? What did you try to ease the hate? What pickups? Still got the Tele?

I recently got a used 2010 plain jane JR of eBay. Crazy low price for a super clean guitar already with a TonePros adjustable wraptail and studs, RS pots and a set of three-on-a-tree Klusons. Absurdly loud guitar unplugged or plugged. Just a great great tone that really is quit different from the R4.

But the R4 will always stay. Hope yours does too.

And how is the EP coming?

Neil

4. k.guitars

k.guitars Senior Member

So how's it going, everyone? Been a while, lots to report here but I'll take it slow. Didn't buy the R8 after all, but following several months in the case with pretty much no attention... I've fallen in love all over again!

Lollar '50s gone, Bare Knuckle Nantuckets in. Tonepros VTNA gone, Pigtail vintage in. Matchless Clubman gone, Lightning 15 head in. Also, the Kay fuzz clone I spoke about several months back is finally done, the one like the Daniel Lanois clips, and it's INCREDIBLE!!! Just got it today and I'll definitely be posting some clips soon. It's ****ing wild!

[​IMG]

5. neils

neils Senior Member

Annnnnnd we're back. Very cool. K, how's things? EP? Great to see this thread back though it may just be two of us.

My R4? Nothing new. Still Lollar -5% in the neck, Wolfetone "Meaner A2" bridge, various .015/.022 PIO caps. Same old Pigtail studs and tail, both reacting to my skin. Under my right forearm the gold finish is kinda, um, un-gold. Doin' something where I lean on it. Really it needs nothing. Everyone who plays it no matter what they own and play just smiles.

Got a real good deal on a basic JR, (no R4 content). Already had Tonepros bridge and TP/Kluson three on a strip tuners. This guitar has no business being this good. LOUD, nasty. Rings for ever, outrings R4. Very very Leslie West into a Way Huge Pork Loin pedal.

Still have the Emery Superbaby and the Octal 5C1 Champ. Had a bunch of different speakers in the Champ. Tried Alnico and Ceramic 10's. Tried several 12's. Right now I really like the thick sound of an Eminence Governor with the twang and bite of the Champ.

In the Emery cab I go back and forth between a Hellatone 30 (G12H30) and a Weber 12F150B, BF speaker with a British slant.

I've been taking some lessons from a local who is just an excellent player. We hang for an hour, learn a song he or I pick (same tastes), I learn a song and licks I can use in other stuff. Just what I want from a lesson.

So in R4 news I got nuthin'

Anyone else?

Neil

6. neils

neils Senior Member

And K, What was it that turned you off the 5E3 Tweed circuit. I know you like Lanois' sound. He plays a Tweed right?

Neil

Edit, that comment about the tweed was 6 months old!

7. k.guitars

k.guitars Senior Member

I've got to get in touch with Matty. Seattle is only a couple of hours from here and I always have a blast when I go… why don't I do that more often? I spoke with TJ on the phone during the playoffs at the beginning of the summer. He offered me his R4, really hard to say no. I guess he's just paring back. I'm doing the same, but in the rest of my life. After January 1st my new rule is "If it doesn't fit in the Civic, I don't own it."

I suffered a pretty severe concussion at the beginning of October and it's been a pretty strange battle. I can only be on the computer, or watch TV, for about an hour at a time before severe headaches set in. A month ago it was only 15 or 20 minutes. Makes recording an album in Pro Tools more than a bit difficult. I'm still writing and bought a little Tascam digital 4-track so I can do so without a computer screen, but even exerting myself singing can be painful. An injury like this takes time to recover. Just ask Sidney Crosby…

I took a couple of lessons from Paul Pigat and it just opened up new worlds for me. My playing took a HUGE leap forward! Keep it up, I guarantee it'll be extremely rewarding as long as you push yourself into unknown and unfamiliar territory.

When I saw Black Dub in February, Daniel was using a Deluxe and a Vibrolux, both vintage tweeds. I have a friend with an original late '50s 5E3 and it's ****ing amazing. Mine was a Mojotone clone that I just didn't dig, not at all like the real thing, but Paul has a Mojotone that he gets KILLER sounds out of. I've owned two different 5E3 clones and didn't really dig either of them, while it seems others have no issues. Maybe it's just me.

About two years ago I posted photos of an amp that my friend Gary built for me, basically a 5-watt tweed Princeton in a cool cabinet with a 12" speaker. I have since changed it from Celestion Vintage 30 to an alnico Blue and it'll probably be the only amp I use on the album. It's so sweet without blowing the room apart. I mic it with a Royer 121 and a modded SM-57 through a BAE 1073MP, which is the preamp section from a Neve.

8. Quill

Quill Senior Member

Bump, for ease of reference.

1 person likes this.
  9. neils

neils Senior Member

Good to bump this. Ought to be a sticky.

Quill did you read it all?

K? Anyone else out there?

Neil

10. Quill

Quill Senior Member

I'm at page ten. Will pick it up there again tomorrow!

11. k.guitars

k.guitars Senior Member

I still lurk back here every now and again. Life has been interesting, I am living in Calgary now, working in a guitar shop, playing a few gigs. My album has been on the back-burner for a while but I really want to get back on it come Feb/Mar. Just haven't had the money!

Well, the guitar that started this thread is now gone, basically traded it for a CS '56 Tele about six months ago. The CS Nocaster is still my main guitar, still have the Silvertone and a cheap acoustic. Been using a Victoria 20112 Tweed Deluxe for about a year now with the Union Tube & Transistor More that I mentioned a while back. Other than that, everything else is optional.

Neil, were you affected by the storm? Hope you're okay.

Quill from North Van, do I know you?

12. Quill

Quill Senior Member

Bump for the convenience of other recent R4 converts! :naughty:

Hell, k.g, I didn't see your post. I almost feel like I might know you - but I'm not sure! I have this sense that I saw someone playing an R4 at the Yale one time, ages ago ... maybe the Fairview? No, I think it was the Yale. Maybe that was you!

Who knows who knows who? :laugh2:

13. neils

neils Senior Member

K! Quill! We're all here. K, yes I had some storm damage from Sandy. Still have fence to repair but the weather slows things for my builder friend.

Tonight I'm typing while a blizzard tries to drop yet more trees.

Still have my R4. Still my main guitar. I am building a partscaster Tele though.
    All I need to do is order a neck from Warmouth. I've got a Swamp body, '52 in detail. I bought it from the guy that cuts the StewMac bodies. He was next to us at the big Philly guitar show this year.

K, I've got a 20112 now too. Still have and love my Emery Superbaby. About a year ago I bought a Fender RI Relic bassman a luthier friend had gutted and redone on an eyelet board to 5F6a spec. So so everything I like. Just so LOUD when it gets there. Really ought to sell it.

The 20112 I'm learning is a one volume amp. Gotta use the guitar controls big time like no other amp I have. I added a treble bleed cap/resistor to the neck pickup (Lollar -5%). LOVE that mod. You run the guitar under "10" with a 5E3 circuit so often the "glow" of the Lollar was getting lost.

Like the amp. I like a ceramic more than any alnico I tried. Still sorta searching that gone out. So much to learn on that amp.

The thread is back

Neil

Hey K if you are into 5E3's Tweed Deluxe Speed Shop - The Best Sounding 5E3 and 5D3 Amplifiers - Fender Vintage-Series Stock and Modified Circuits - RecProAudio. Lots of really really good demos on Youtube. He has the best demos on Youtube of these amps if you ask me.

14. k.guitars

k.guitars Senior Member

Yeah, that was probably me. Didn't go to the Yale jams very often.

Mine is still hanging at L&M here in Vancouver and I could get it back for a very good price. Thought about it but I'll probably pass. Enjoyed it, but it's not the guitar for me after all. Quite likely buy a 335 in the next year or so.

Check out the necks from Mark Jenny at MJT Custom Aged Guitar Finishes Photo Gallery.

"Loud" is such a subjective term. The size of the room, who you're playing with and the enthusiasm of the drummer all make a huge difference. I quite like the tone of the Tweed Deluxe playing by myself, recording or playing with a trio in a small environment. As soon as there is another guitar player, or even a keyboard player, the tone is just too dense and dark, and lacking in headroom. Suddenly the Bassman isn't overkill at all. When I can't hear myself I just dig in so hard and break strings, tear off fingernails. I mostly love the size and weight of the 20112 but I'll probably end up getting another Matchless at some point. The DC-30 has always been my favourite amp, just hate dragging around all 85 pounds of it!

Anyway, back living just outside of Vancouver and writing. Tonight I am drinking red wine and listening to the new Trixie Whitley record. Simplicity is beautiful.