My New Les Paul Copy (Xaviere)

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by lefoo, Dec 3, 2008.

1. lefoo

lefoo Member

Just wanna share some picks of my new guitar, i bought it at guitarfetish for 1\4 of the price of a real Gibson.
    Have it for about five days now, she is beautifull, well built, got a bit difference of sound if i compare it to the real thing, but for me (medium player) it's the best deal i've done so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Welcome!

Got any closeups of it? I've heard pretty good things about them for the $$.

3. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

I like 'em... I just hate that headstock... lol

4. lefoo

lefoo Member

More pick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That It for Me I'm going To Zzzz

5. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Thanks! Congrats on the new axe - she looks good!

6. tintin

tintin Senior Member

Sweet looker. Any issues with the set up, finish, etc.? Yours is the XV-500, no? I'm kind of interested in the thin line series (XV-700).

7. lefoo

lefoo Member

It s the XV-700 Thinline, there is no problem at all, the finish is excellent, no scratch, i live in canada and it took 8 days to receive it, i bought it with a solid case at (35 $ it's a bargain), the sound is great, no buzz, the sound is warmer than an Epiphone on a rithym (switch side) and very crunchy on the treble (switch Side).
    Like i said, I'm an intermediate player (metallica, puddle of mud, van halen) and i am very happy with it.

8. Funkwire

Funkwire Senior Member

Congratulations on the Xaviere!

I got mine yesterday...however my PC just went in the shop, so I can't upload pics. Once I'm up and running I'll post a review.

9. Skynyrdpicker

Skynyrdpicker Senior Member

Salut!

Another fellow Montrealer with a Xaviere LP! Super beau! I've got one too, they're great guitars! I've changed a few things on mine, but for what they cost, the wood selection and construction is unbeatable!

Good luck with it, man!

and Funkwire, how are you liking yours?!

10. Funkwire

Funkwire Senior Member

Short hand review:

Very impressed with how it's put together. Two VERY minor flaws...nothing that affects playability. Cosmetic blemishes that are only visible close-up. It was set up well right out of the box. Neck feels good...a 60s profile feel to it. It has a good weight...I'll check later this week, but I'm guessing right in the 8.5 pound sweet spot. The case is very nice, especially considering the $39 price tag.

The bad: Tuners are garbage as others have said. The pots are junk. My guitar is wired backwards! The switch and pots control the opposite pickup of what they're supposed to! :shock:

None of this bothers me, since I had planned on having to swap these parts out anyway.

11. drewbertca

drewbertca V.I.P. Member

cool...I've been looking at the semi-hollow with P90s ......maybe after x-mas

12. SpinWheelz

SpinWheelz Senior Member

It's insane how off-putting that headstock is. I know I'm terribly shallow, but bloody hell. I know there's a finish on it and all, but is there anyway to "re-carve" at least the top of that headstock to something more appealing, and perhaps re-finish it?

13. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

DAMN!!!! Cant wait to get mine, but I'm gonna have to wait until first week of Feb damnit! What a value these guitars are, congrats bro!!

14. Funkwire

Funkwire Senior Member

OK, my PC is back in the land of the living. Whoever invented the Vundo virus...you suck.

The Xaviere arrived on Tuesday afternoon:

[​IMG]

The box had plenty of bubble wrap around the hard shell case...opening the case revealed plenty of further packing:

[​IMG]

It was right around freezing that day. The guitar was very cold to the touch. While letting it warm up to room temperature, I performed my first mod: Dunlop straplocks.

You can clearly see the maple cap in contrast to the mahogany:

[​IMG]

Here's a nice natural light shot showing the flame:

[​IMG]

Popping off the neck pup revealed a GFS Crunchy Pat and a clean cavity with a long tenon:

[​IMG]

Control cavity:

[​IMG]

A little endorsement: I clean my fingerboards with Gorgomyte whenever I change strings. You can see how much grime came off of a brand new neck. Look at the shine on those frets!

[​IMG]

Headstock:

[​IMG]

The Chinese twins:

[​IMG]

OK, to get the negatives out of the way: the tuners are really bad. I wouldn't feel comfortable gigging with the XV-500 until I swap them out. The high E tuner in particular slips badly. The pots are linear taper and don't give you a lot of variety. This particular guitar was wired backwards, so the when the switch is pointed to 'Treble', the neck pup is on, and vice versa. The pots are also reversed.

I was planning to swap out the tuners and change the electronics anyway, so this isn't a big deal to me.

There are two minor flaws on the body: a small bump underneath the binding on the upper bout, and a small nick in the binding between the 17th and 18th fret. Neither affects playability, and are not visible from more than a foot away from the guitar.

The positive: everything else. This guitar has a nice weight to it. I haven't had a chance to put it on a scale yet, but it feels right in the 8.5 pound range. The GFS humbuckers sound great, and I imagine better pots will only bring out more of their quality. The set up was great--I haven't touched the neck. I made small adjustments to the intonation, and that's it. The neck is similar to a 60s profile, and feels great.

The case was offered for $39 ($10 off regular price when bought with the guitar). It seems very durable and solid. It has the faux alligator tolex that tends to show wear and tear fairly quickly, but the case itself looks like it will hold up.

I tried the guitar out at practice tonight. It played smoothly and sounded great. The guys in the band were blown away by how much guitar GFS is offering for the money. I think I gave our bass player G.A.S. for one of the Xaviere Teles!

As I said, I will change the pots and caps, and probably the switch. Definitely the tuners. I will probably get the Gotoh TOM replacement bridge as well. So I'm looking at around $100 in parts.

With case and shipping, I got the XV-500 for under $300. Throw in the replacement parts, I'm still well under $500. For a LP copy with a 2-piece mahogany body, real maple cap, and good pickups, I'm very happy. I give this the highest recommendation.

15. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

Wow. :shock::shock::shock:

16. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Same here.. in tobacco... oh yeah...:slash:

17. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

WOW!! Thanks for those pics man! These guitars seem to be fantastic for the cheap dough!

18. Funkwire

Funkwire Senior Member

It's amazing. This guitar has a solid feel to it. This is not a cheap guitar, it's a good instrument at a shockingly low price.

I sent an e-mail to Jay at GFS letting him know about the backwards wiring. I made it clear I wasn't angling for a return...I just wanted to give him a heads up.

19. Skynyrdpicker

Skynyrdpicker Senior Member

Nice! The tuners DO suck, and I changed mine right away. Apart from that, they're great! I just ordered two GFS Vintage '59s, and a new bridge for mine! I don't think I'll ever get rid of it either! :thumb:

20. markophonic

markophonic Senior Member

I bought a new Xaviere shelltop guitar a couple years ago and It's actually quite nice.

I've got thirtysomething guitars hanging around the house and people, especially women always gravitate towards it.

It's quite stunning to look at and it plays and sound nice as well.

The pic doesn't really do it justice.

[​IMG]