My new Fly Rig bare essentials, maximum performance!

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Les Paulverizer, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

Fly Rig.jpg

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my new "fly rig". I do occasionally have to fly to mainland Europe for some gigs and as some airlines are not that sympathetic to musicians (Ryanair are the absolute crappiest worst, whereas British Air are among the very best in this regard) I needed something small, which could possibly even fit in my hand luggage, and which could yield all the required sounds also bearing in mind that you're never 100% guaranteed what amp will be provided, and this one does that in spades!
    Joe at GigRig advised that I placed the Rat first in line; I tried placing it after the buffer but the difference is quite remarkable, it went from sounding ok-ish but very mediocre (after the buffer) to sounding absolutely exceptional when placed at the beginning of the chain! Night & day.
    So there you go, Pro Co Rat - TC Bonafide - Roger Mayer modded 60's Vox Wah - 80's Ibanez CS9 - TC Electronic Alter Ego; that's all I really need, I can go "from Joe Pass to Joe Perry" at a whim, it's so dynamic it allows me to control 90% of the sounds with the controls on the guitar & the way I play, and it sounds so good I even started using this rig in place of the other (ever so slightly bigger) pedalboard.
    Simplicity rules!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    freak and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

They let you on a plane with that. Jeebus, airport security has gone to hell !!
    Nice little rig though.
    Did you ever try out the Richie Kotzen Fly Rig?

Les Paulverizer likes this.
  3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Nice and no-nonsense.
    :thumb:

4. Les Paulverizer

It's not so much airport security as to whether the airline in question want to charge you extra or not! Ryanair are the worst for that, cheap tickets to start with then they will charge you for every little thing, on the other hand few months ago I flew British Air, the girl at the gate looked at my guitar (which I had in a gig bag) and said "ok dah'ling, just put it flat in the overhead compartment...".
    As for the Digitech Richie Kotzen thing no, I haven't tried it as I prefer to carefully choose the right pedals for my needs.

BanditPanda likes this.
  5. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Airline security should charge you for putting the wah after the distortion.

Les Paulverizer and BanditPanda like this.
  6. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Nice! Why not put a TC Polytune 3 in place of the Bona Fide buffer?

7. Les Paulverizer

I know that the vast majority of people place the wah before any Distortion/OD units, and I've tried it both ways of course but I actually prefer it that way, I much rather "wah" the distortion than "distort the wah", so that when the wah is engaged it's more pronounced and clearer; even on the other bigger pedalboard I have I've placed the OD source (at this moment in time an Xotic SL Drive) before the wah and after years of experimenting I've come to the conclusion that that's what works best, at least for me as it gives me more control over the effect.
    Apparently Hendrix did the same(?) but of course that's when airlines weren't so fussy & greedy...

Rich and pillbug like this.
  8. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Heck, I'll try it and see, maybe it will be good for me too!

9. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

IMO, there are no rules, just guidelines and I run effects before OD/distortion that would make most players cringe but it's what I like.

Same deal with wah - use whatever works for you. Running after OD/distortion will give you a more dramatic sound; the vintage-proper dudes will recommend running it before OD/distortion as, when wah is the only effects pedal you're using, OD/dist is a cranked up Marshall stack without even a loop.