My les paul

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by colton young, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Awesome stuff Dude! :applause:

bulletproof likes this.
  2. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Thank you,brother!! When I find an outstanding piece of gear, I love to share it,man.

3. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

I like the set of Tone Emporium PAFs in one of mine...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    bulletproof likes this.
  4. colton young

colton young Junior Member

hey guys, So I decided to follow everyone's advice at once. I have some pearly gates on the way. its the only pickup ive played on and I liked it then in a old Kramer. I listened to many and the only thing I liked more was a winder out of nc but when I looked up the pups a used set was going for 750... I hope I like these. it was down to that and the Demario master paf.

also doing 50s wiring with cts 500k pots. poor old studio will be gutted and everything changed. Ill report back how I like it. I chose the pg because the output advertised seemed a touch hotter than most paf sets and kept it simple and got a matched set.
    crossing fingers that I'm not disappointed.

bulletproof likes this.
  5. bulletproof

Definitely keep us updated,brother.... I absolutely love tone reports!:dude:

6. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

I just wish you wouldn't share those shorts with us brother, maybe you could tilt the camera up a bit man !

bulletproof likes this.
  7. colton young

so, I dropped the guitar off last night to the guy a trust with these things. Today I get a text from him asking about the wring harness I wanted along with a ling to a lengthy technical thread on 50s wiring vs. modern vs. modern with a .01 cap.
    he said before he had me pay him to do it he wanted me to research and was suggesting the modern rt with the high pass cap. I know I got a lot of great advice on this from you guys, and I'm not questioning knowledge but it seems 50s wiring makes the volume and tone interact with each other differently. so in theory guitar wide open is the same both ways. modern wiring loses highs as you roll off the volume because the tone pot is a load in the circuit thought its at 10. with 50s wiring the tone is retained in the highs but once you back off past a certain point, will start to lose its low and mid and drop off in output more than the modern style. He said he was giving it thought after asking tons of questions about why I wanted to do this and thinks I may want to do the .01 high pass cap with modern wiring to save money and also have exactly what I want.

so I told him I wanted to read and learn a bit on it and ask in here for thoughts yet again. seems like 50s wiring has some draw backs especially since I like to roll off my tone a little when I play the middle. 50s wiring seems to make the tones act like a master tone in the middle?

bulletproof likes this.
  8. colton young

once again I'm sorry for more questions especially after you told me what I should do but I felt he had a point especially if hed some more parts and and made more money off me by doing what I said I wanted.

bulletproof likes this.
  9. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

You've got it right that 50's wiring offsets resonance losses by removing parallel load from the pickup as series resistance is added, while a treble bleed just creates a low resistance path for higher frequencies, as low frequencies are attenuated by the series resistance of the volume control (voltage divider). The 50's wiring is more natural sounding, in that its working to preserve the resonance of the pickup, where as the treble bleed is trying to offset the loss of one thing by adding back another, so they end up sounding different overall, and attenuating differently as you roll back the volume.

IMO, if you like to use the tone knob, or even just set it anywhere other than 10, modern wiring with a low value treble bleed cap is a better way to go. I also think it's worth while to try different caps with alligator clips in order to find the value you like best, because some values will retain too much treble as you roll off, while others maybe not enough. A cap that gives you usable treble between 10 and 5 might be too bright between 5 and 0, while a cap that is good between 5 and 0 might not do enough between 5 and 10, so how you use the volume control can make one cap value a better choice than another.

If you don't use the tone control much, but you do use the volume a lot, then I'd say 50's wiring is a better choice. I think it sounds more natural, especially as you get closer to the bottom of the volume, it behaves more like you expect a volume control to behave, and all it requires is moving a single wire, so it's really easy to undo if you don't like it. The draw back is that turning down the volume virtually and simultaneously "turns up" the tone control, due to the proportionate increase in series resistance in between the pickup and tone control. I've seen people euphemistically describe this as "interactive", but I'd describe it as unintuitive and frustrating.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    bulletproof likes this.
  10. bulletproof

I’ll keep this in mind,brother!:laugh2::laugh2:

11. colton young

alright, anyone whos waited for this:
    I picked up my les paul today.

in between they guy who does these things for me had some stuff go down...dragging out the installation of the stuff. This turned out to be great because I sat down one weekend and spent a few hours reading and looking at all these common wiring ideas. I found amazing videos of youtube of a guy who had a device tho do ab comparisons of different pots and wiring styles along with different caps and resistors and so on.... I started to feel just the high pass cap was kinda harsh almost seemed to add highs as you roll off. I decided to do the high pass with a resistor (I cannot remember the values) that way it kinda eased that harshness off.

days go by and come to find out my guy had no resistors to do what I decided I wanted..... he didnt want me to ditch the stock board for monies sake but said for just a little more than jonsey wanted for a harness hed set me up with the same stuff and a switch and set up the guitar. I went for that with the 50s wiring and told him to keep the old strings on it so I would get a real feel for the changes

so, now Its pearly gates, 50s wiring, new switch, and jack. money wise im like 330 bucks over where i would be for the parts if i ordered so im happy.

I get home, warm up the classic 30 with my jackson i also just got back and plug up ol ugly.

at first I do not like it at all... I start going through the paces and reach down and roll off my volume and it falls off like people complained sometimes.

12. colton young

im foaming at the mouth... i ruined the sound I liked....

then i turn the tone knob down, something I never do. aw man thats the sauce. after 3 hours i have a feel for the knobs and how the slight movements change the tone some much and I get it now. 50s wiring gives me every tone I have ever wanted. I wanted to be productive since it was nice out but i sat and played till dark and when im done typing ill be picking up ol ugly again. The guitar is bright wide open but the tone controls are actually useful. I roll volume off and everything stays as i thought it should in my head.
    its so much more responsive to my attack also. I can really dig into it and its so clear. I used to feel when i played bring it on home, that itd kinda get muddy by its just as I hear it in my head when not playing if that makes sense.

I love the pearly gate in the bridge position. In the neck its got a big of a difference to the mid range but I still like it. I never would have thought all those classic tones Ive chased could be pretty much matched with alnico magnets and 50s wiring. physically I also like the amount of resistance on these knobs over the stock ones. haha
    I will no longer hang my head in shame for not buying a standard before I went this route. This studio has everything ive been trying to get when trying guitars now plus if you roll was off the volume its got kind of a tele feel. Im so glad he didnt have the resistors I wanted.

13. colton young

biggest typo to fix is where I said $330 bucks over. I meant $30. yes, I know I should proof read when I belt out that much text. sorry

also thank you guys. Im very very happy. I learned a ton and my les paul sounds amazing to me. I also learned I dont need to be afraid to do these things on my own anymore. pots arent too expensive and Its not complex. Very glad I asked and you guys actually responded.

Back to playing ol ugly, cheers

14. colton young

also anyone that was oblivious to the 50s vs the world argument that might be reading:
    the conflicting thoughts of it are just perception. the 50s wiring is so much more interactive. There are so many different tones in 10/6 range its not funny. Th effect on the tone knob operation as you roll off the volume is perfect. As I read I gained more and more doubt about the 50s wiring being better.

do it. its one wire to go modern after.... but you wont.