My les paul

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by colton young, Mar 6, 2018.

1. colton young

colton young Junior Member

ohhh you guys with the non big name pups!!! I know you've got a video link to how they sound.

2. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Most of his classic material was recorded and performed with 2 PAF's, before the cream bridge pickup failed in Australia in '72

bulletproof likes this.
  3. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Here’s a vid with my ECP Hallowed Grounds

Pappy58, dsmcl77, ehb and 1 other person like this.
  4. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

It all started with a telecaster on LZ I, and then LP with the two PAF from '69 to '72 indeed for LZ II, III & IV, so I have to agree with you. But he didn't use only the LPs, but also the Telly again (STH solo), a Stratocaster (not 100% sure for that one...), the Danelectro, the Vox XII & Fender XII... And in studio work, so not the sound you'll get at home or on stage... Not a one sound only, really.

When the majority of people are talking about the LZ sound, is it not the Song Remain The Same live album?
    I might be wrong though.

Also, OP said he wanted something to be able to push the front end of the amp more when needed, him no using pedals. The Antiquities lack that king of power (mines are in a drawer because of that).
    The slightly overwound T-Top replica pickup I was talking about would give him the best of both world... If that indeed exists in a world of sound that is only a matter of taste & preferences.

bulletproof likes this.
  5. colton young

nice video. those do sound nice.

I spoke with one of the people recommended on the harness. Seems like it could be the subtle difference I need to bring it out of the mud a little more specifically rolling off the volume going 50s style.
    Just have to feel ok ripping everything out of the guitar but the pups... haha

bulletproof likes this.
  6. colton young

buuut if you ship out those antiquities in you drawer they will be here by the time the harness comes :)

bulletproof and dsmcl77 like this.
  7. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

I put a new 50's wiring harness in my Goldie with minis. Bournes and oranges.

Surprising difference. Recommend highly.

I put PAFs in my Monaco. Also a remarkable difference.

Recommend highly as a good PAF type is brighter and more expressive(IMHO). They are not nuclear chainsaw notching concrete hot... But that is what a good transparent boost is for. Klon, CHlon, Soul Food, etc., Bunch out there... Shoves amplifier preamp stages close to the edge...

Kinda like cake. You can have a lot of icing and not as much cake or a lot of cake and not as much icing. It's a compromise on heat and tone colors. (IMHO). I prefer the weaker/brighter PAF colors. I gots stuff to heat it up after the guitar if needs be.

DarrellV, bulletproof and dsmcl77 like this.
  8. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

With a Nickel cover
    Black uncovered didn't show up till the 80's ?

dsmcl77 likes this.
  9. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

indeed :thumb:

[​IMG]

bulletproof likes this.
  10. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

:laugh2:
    Wouldn't worth it to ship it over the pond.

I have sooo much stuff I should sell... Kids will hate me clearing the house when I've died.
    They probably will throw away good stuff in the process... Maybe I shoul label everything with a price (for a given year)...:hmm:

I replaced the Antiquities by a pair of Seymour Duncan Bonamassa 1959 signature set.
    You can read all about it here, end of page 1 and middle of page 2:
    www.mylespaul.com/threads/ngd-e-lp-130-lts-re-vs-gibson-lp-standard.319529/

bulletproof likes this.
  11. colton young

I'm glad you bring up bonamassa. I do love his tone. that may even be a good description of what I'm searching for. he has a vintage ish sound but it doesn't seem like it needs more ass behind it. Like I said I'm going to try the 50s wiring. Jonesy says the stock stuff in my les paul is kinda muddy and the change should help clear up some of my complaint with the 490s. plus reading into it I feel like something in the hotter side of that paf spectrum or maybe a t even would be good as I could then roll off the volume and keep the highs and most of the overall tone so kinda of dial it back to a lower output paf

dsmcl77 and bulletproof like this.
  12. colton young

the odd thing I'm finding from listening to all these custom paf and big name paf winds is I do seem to like the lower output ones. I'm just afraid ill get a set and feel like I need more. id really hate to have it wide open and feel like the notes are dying off so to speak. but I'm not opposed to getting a clean boost. I just had a pedal phase and now that I'm in the swing of using the volume and tone to get my sounds I like it more and I'm wired modern now so I'm losing highs when I roll off that was another issue I had that I thought was nature but seems like 50s wiring is going to open op more possibilities for me.

bulletproof likes this.
  13. colton young

I also appreciate the response

bulletproof likes this.
  14. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

As I said, I have the 490/498 set on my standard and the sound is good, punchy but on the modern side of the Spectrum due to the 498.
    Jonesy is right though. I had to do some tuning under my Lp's hood to get it perfectly right... including the 50's wiring.

Once you get a new harness, work on the pick-up height. If too low... weak. If too high... muddy. Right... they sing.
    PAFs or replicas well set on the middle position will have a kind of telecaster twanginess (probably not on the dictionary this word...).
    Niiiice!

I have the SD Joe's '59, the Manlius set, and even active EMG's on others to get the Spectrum as wide as possible (only talking about humbuckers).

But my jack of all trade (that can do everything... GOOD) is the T-Top replica.

bulletproof likes this.
  15. ehb

What amp were you playing through, bullet?

bulletproof likes this.
  16. bulletproof

I was using my little Mesa Boogie TA-15 Head with a 1x12 cab loaded with a Weber Sig Alnico(or could have been the Celestion V30,can’t really remember now). Love this little rig:cheers2:

Pappy58, dsmcl77 and ehb like this.
  17. ehb

Nice when you cleaned up and I was hearing the amp without distortion... Very nice.... Sparkly!

bulletproof likes this.
  18. bulletproof

Thank you,brother! I have been raving about these little guys for awhile. One of the best all-around amps I have ever had.

dsmcl77 and ehb like this.
  19. colton young

that amp does sound nice. I spoke with the guy who I used to have do any repair or mod id have done to my guitars last night. His theory on this venture is the tone I'm not liking comes from the ceramic magnets. HE also agreed on the 50s wiring but reminded me that when he cut my bone nut and set up the paul for mea few years ago, he told me id end up wanting some type of alnico magnet pup. hes a dimarzio man and has pushed his opinion of the 36th anniversary and the master paf by them
    I'm excited to have this done.

Pappy58 and bulletproof like this.
  20. bulletproof

Alright brother,then after said upgrades,we expect a tone report!!!