My les paul

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by colton young, Mar 6, 2018.

1. colton young

colton young Junior Member

Hello,
    Im sure this is the most common and annoying post made in these forums but im looking for guidance and opinions.

I have a well loved 08 les paul in alpine white with ebony fret board. I picked it up years ago over some more expensive used standards it was hanging with because of how much better it sounded to me. its very loud unplugged and has an amazing resonance. stock 498 pickups that came in the studio.
    I took off to a guitar center recently to celebrate my promotion buying the les paul ive always wanted. I played them in and around my price range (2018 models of all sorts) It sounds dumb but I didnt fall for any of them. some of them just where down right not worth trading my studio on. I picked up one used 17 with seymore Duncans in it and got to thinking.... if i love my old beat studio so much, I should just get some new pick ups.

I play a lot of zeppelin and the like but im also into blues. I like the guitars sound but it just seems kinda cloudy and the bridge seems a tad harsh. Id like more clarity. Ive been listening online to all sorts of pickups for the past few days and feel its hard to tell too much by a sound clip. plus every guitar is different. I just cannot find much of a direction I want to be in. so far I like all the pafs If i had to buy a set now i think id like the pearly gates bridge and the antiquity neck... but will the pafs leave me hanging for versatility? will I find them lacking when i want to play the ocasional metal or heavy rock? Is there a pickup that will show off the guitars natural tone better than these stock pickups?
    Im alos undecided on coil tapping and phase. worth having? let me know what you think.

bulletproof likes this.
  2. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Hi man and welcome to MLP...

I may not be having much to say about pickups selection but I will just give my experience with the overall case... When I am out there to buy a new guitar, I will never be satisfied with just new pickups for my old guitar !

So I vote for buying a new guitar.. may be you haven't found what you look for "yet", but there are A LOT OF good les pauls out there... keep on searching..

3. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

We've all been there :D

I do have coil-tapping in one of my Les Pauls (I've taken it off the others). I play rhythm on the middle position, with the neck split. I like how it thins out the neck pup, so that I can wind a bit more of the pup in. I don't use coil-tapping on a Les Paul for anything else.

In my experience, coil-tapping on Les Pauls doesn't deliver a usable single-coil sound. It works on other guitars, such as the PRS McCarty 594, but not on the Les Paul.

Out of phase ... depends if you're chasing the Peter Green thing or not, I guess. I never was, and never found a use for it myself. Maybe someone else has?

bulletproof likes this.
  4. colton young

I'm not sure id have a use. I have a strat for that anyways. I kind of feel like its not a great single coil tone. so I'm guessing that's decided as not a deal breaker. I tried the whole 2018 line up. it wasn't that I didn't like them but gibsons quality seems to have went way way down hill? the best guitar I tried that day was... another older beat studio. I guess I'm chasing a tone I found in a 90s les paul traditional. it also had some Seymour duncans. It was the one for me but I was 20 and couldn't fork out the 2500 bucks they wanted. Ive found older guitars sound better, and not just through an amp but unplugged. In fact I feel I can tell the most about one by playing acoustically.

Stuff and bulletproof like this.
  5. colton young

I cannot remember what Duncan's the little shop said that paul had for the life of me. jazz and jb combo is what I keep thinking but I don't like the jb bridge samples ive listened to.

I guess the main question is will someone that plays some more modern stuff sometimes feel like a paf like the antiquities will be lacking? I play through a classic 30 I do find myself rolling off the volumes a little (I don't use the pile of pedals ive collected anymore) But for leads I often end up cranking it back up.

bulletproof likes this.
  6. colton young

what makes me feel like this old paul would go from a guitar I really like to one I love to pick up is remembering that 95. you could feel every note vibrating the neck and body as you played. it seemed very.... "alive" It was extremely heavy also not having weight a relieved body. this old guitar I got ive found be be more heavy and in the past couple years of not playing it a lot ive noticed it feeling alive with every note. its also become acoustically louder over the years.

forgot to mention it has a bone nut.

bulletproof likes this.
  7. colton young

sorry to be long winded. I'm kinda nerdy on the quest for that sound in my head. I love this guitar and from 2010 up any Gibson ive played just didn't have the it factor for me.

bulletproof likes this.
  8. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Welcome to the Forum,brother!!

Man,the ole pickup chase....there are so many great winders out there. I’m inclined to suggest this: think hard about what y’all liked hearing best in those pickups from the ‘95 and then get with a winder from here on the Forum. Any of these guys can help y’all find that tone. Just a suggestion......
    And another thing too,if y’all have the money for pickups,before going that route,perhaps a harness swap first?

9. colton young

a harness swap? what would you suggest?

bulletproof likes this.
  10. colton young

also it was very clear. chords sang and notes the guitar had so much clarity. it responded more to how your attack was. itd bring in a smooth break up. shimmering clean all the way to a very coarse but clear drive. also they where way more balanced neck to bridge compared to what I have now. I swear it was a jb and jazz or antiquities.

11. bulletproof

Again,many great ones out there....here’s a short list of the ones I have used and am currently using.

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ms...ender-harnesses-premium-aged-lp-parts.399340/

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/pr...or-les-paul-sg-335-by-jonesyblues-usa.391470/

https://www.creamtone.com/

https://rs-guitarworks.myshopify.com/collections/pre-wired-kits

Y’all may be pleasantly surprised by the changes a new harness can make.

Stuff likes this.
  12. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Looks like Bulletproof beat me to it. Lol

Look in the vendor section for harnesses. I have the 498/490 in my Studio and it suits exactly to the music you're talking about. I've got a aftermarket harness in it and have adjusted the pickup height etc.. If that doesn't work it sounds like a hot PAF might be for you. JB's/Jazz get good reviews too or have one of our pickup vendors help and wind one for you. Good luck on your search!

bulletproof likes this.
  13. colton young

nice. maybe ill get with one of these guys about a harness. I have the circuit board in mine. I wish I knew more about what changing these things would do and the different caps and stuff to go with.

bulletproof likes this.
  14. colton young

also didn't know I could just talk to someone about getting a set wound. it sounds like a lot of you guys like/ have went that route. I just wish I know more about what I want but at the same time I'm sure I could get something wound similar to what I'm liking from that Duncan line up.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  15. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

If it's stock +1 on installing a new harness first. Perhaps 50's wiring based on your music preferences.

Your complaints of "Kinda cloudy - a tad harsh" to me . . . don't sound too critical.
    A new harness may just push you to what you are looking for. Different strings and/or a pickup adjustment may also offer similar results.

If not. I recommend you give Craig Vineham of Vineham Pickups a call

http://www.vineham.com/

He saved me from the pickup swapping rabbit hole I was heading towards.
    Talk to him and tell him what you like and dislike and he can wind you a set.
    It was nice to actually talk to the person making my pickup.

I am more than 110% happy with the 2 sets of pickups I have purchased through him.

As for coil tapping. I have always been underwhelmed by this feature. I have not found a practical jamming application for this. I hear the coil tap is better suited to very high output pups (which I don't have). Where you get an actual difference in tone and not just tone suck. YMMV

Good Luck !

bulletproof likes this.
  16. bulletproof

Brother,do a search on here for 50s wiring,caps and pots and new harness ..there is so much info here,be prepared for the rabbit hole:laugh2:

musicmaniac and dsmcl77 like this.
  17. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

I would say: keep the AW Studio, mine is from 09 and I love it.

That is the main criticism of the 490 & 498 pups... But I like them in my '93 Standard.

For the "LED ZEP" sound linked to an LP, that would be a "PAF" neck and "T Top" bridge, thinking of JP uncovered black bridge pickup.
    I Have in one of my other LP a set made by Manlius guitars NY. a "Landmark PAF" (PAF replica) neck and a "Vinyl" bridge (ovewound T Top replica)

Here is the link:
    https://www.manliusguitar.com/products/vinyl
    And a review that made me deceide to go for those, and I never had to regret the descision:
    https://solodallas.com/t-top-replicas-a-successful-tone-report
    Some vids in you tube too...

All great pups, here is no right or wrong.
    Some good winders too, here in MLP.

As for the split coil... well, better go the 7ender route...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    bulletproof likes this.
  18. colton young

I think ill do some reading on the harness swap. I'm open to giving that a try first. I don't have a huge issue with the pickups I just don't feel like they are quite "there" Ive read some of these are common complaints of these 490/498s? Ive just really liked every one at least a little with Duncan's in them. lol

more information on those following. I play ghs 11s in standard. so far that's been my favorite after years of trying different stuff. I'm open to trying anything thought there once.

bulletproof likes this.
  19. colton young

just to get the ball rolling, what are some recommended winders you guys have had great luck with?

20. colton young

I also live closer to a pickup maker that everyone here is in love with. lindy frailin? something like that? ive heard that he makes a paf