My Les Paul, Refinished and Aged by Tony Berrington

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Chakalawaka, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Ayrton

Ayrton Senior Member

Looks fantastic! The name on the headstock doesn’t make the sound, the player does.

NJDevil, jimmyjames and Chakalawaka like this.
  2. Chakalawaka

Chakalawaka Junior Member

This is where the surprise is! It's just a veneer (There's a dark spot near the bridge tone pot, where Tony accidentally went through the veneer). What surprised me is that even though it's a veneer, it still reacts to the light like a maple top, which really makes it special :) I guess the ol' nitrocellulose helps.

Thank you very much! And thanks for the recommandations! I've heard about the Seth Lover, it's a shame though that they aren't wax-potted... But I'll definitely have a look into it :)

3. blues360

blues360 Junior Member

Nice job on the electrics side did you swap out the switch and pots and rewire 50,s style with PIO caps to get it as close to a 59 wireing wise?

Chakalawaka likes this.
  4. Chakalawaka

Good question! Not yet, this will be for the next project, which is changing the pickups :)

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

They can be ordered wax potted, if you like.

Chakalawaka likes this.
  6. Chakalawaka

Nice! I've watched the Seymour Duncan video on their youtube channel and I was quite impressed, I don't know which version they had installed on the guitar but oh my it sounds heavenly!

Zoobiedood likes this.
  7. edouglaspratt

edouglaspratt Junior Member

That's my opinion too, NZ. This is subtle and very beautiful. Congratulations Chak!

Chakalawaka likes this.
  8. gkelm

gkelm Senior Member

If you want a classic PAF tone at a reasonable price, look into a used Dimarzio 36th Anniversary...really great pickup.

Chakalawaka likes this.
  9. solderjunkie

solderjunkie Senior Member

Can you please explain your process for removing the old finish? Thanks!

Chakalawaka likes this.
  10. NJDevil

NJDevil Senior Member

Great project and even better results. She definitely is a looker and I agree w/ the Seth Lover idea if you have the extra cash. Great job....Congratulations!

Chakalawaka likes this.
  11. Chakalawaka

Thanks for the tip I'll have a look into it today :)

The only solution for the polyurethane lacquer/varnish that this guitar had was sanding... And a lot of patience, carefulness and control! Polys are very strong, dry and thick lacquers, so expect a fight with it if you're intending to the the same. With nitrocellulose it's much easier, you just need a heat gun and a scrapper, it will come right off!

Thank you! :) The Seth Lover is quite expensive indeed but it might be worth putting a little extra cash and get a killer tone ;) I mean at this point anything will be better than the stock pickups anyway!

12. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Member

You've got it mixed up. Nitrocellulose finishes can be sanded off, whereas poly finishes need the heatgun and scraping (although you can sand them... it just takes forever). Nitrocellulose finishes 'burn in', attaching to the layer preceding it, whereas poly sort of solidifies. It's the reason finishing with nitro is more friendly to beginners; it's easier to correct your mistakes, it just takes a lot longer to set.

Beautiful guitar.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Chakalawaka likes this.
  13. Chakalawaka

Oups my bad! You're absolutely right!

But in this particular case, the poly just wouldn't come off with the heat gun, all it did was scorching the surface, so in this instance sanding had to be done in order to get it right (see in the picture attached the first steps of the poly off, you can see black spots from the heat gun).

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      48.2 KB
      Views:
    bluesriffdev likes this.