My Les Paul, Refinished and Aged by Tony Berrington

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Chakalawaka, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Chakalawaka

Chakalawaka Junior Member

So I saw this Les Paul (made in 2010) some 5 years ago at a small shop in the south of France. It was reasonably cheap compared to a Gibson, and I really had a good feeling with it so I bought it.

The only thing that bugged me was the satin finish, so about 2 years ago I buffed it up to a shine, but it still wasn't great. Of course, just like any other guitarists on this website, I dreamed of having a '59, and as I was browsing a thread by Tony Berrington, I thought to myself, why not ask him if he could refinish my Les Paul, just like he did with his?

I contacted him and we agreed on the finish and aging, leaving me the hardware (metal and plastic) to age myself. Now that the project is finally completed, I am delighted to show you guys the results! I happen to be a photographer, so I took her to the studio yesterday to have some fun... Feast your eyes!
    Starting with how she looked the day I bought it, 5 years ago:
    Jumping to when it got stripped:
    originally it should have been a goldtop as we thought the veneer would come off when sanding the top, but since it didn't we went ahead with the sunburst finish... and oh my best decision taken that day!
    application of the lacquer...
    and here it is, enjoy! (Also, I had to swap the blueish inlays for proper amber inlays)

Burst view:

Thanks for watching!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. Nickel Zens

Nickel Zens Senior Member

I don't usually like relic guitars, but that is the most tasteful relic I have seen. Does look authentic.

Chakalawaka likes this.
  3. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Wow, beautiful guitar...and photography! Well done!

Frank

Chakalawaka likes this.
  4. Chakalawaka

Thank you! I decided not to go for a heavy relic, I think it looks wrong...

Thank you :) I'm really happy about how it turned out, couldn't be happier!

Nickel Zens likes this.
  5. Mitchey75

Mitchey75 Senior Member

Nice nice nice! ;)

Chakalawaka and BA73 like this.
  6. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Nice job.

Chakalawaka likes this.
  7. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Wow, that thing is righteous. Absolutely fantastic. Congrats!

Chakalawaka likes this.
  8. taypeng

taypeng Senior Member

I like what you did with the headstock. Looks much better than the original

Chakalawaka likes this.
  9. orys

orys Senior Member

Looking awesome!

Chakalawaka likes this.
  10. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Sweet! Great job :)

Chakalawaka likes this.
  11. Chakalawaka

Yeah the original felt "ungodly"...

Cheers guys! Tony Berrington sure did an amazing job and I'm still stoked that I got to have my les paul refinished by him!
    I still had fun aging the hardware ;)

JohnnyN likes this.
  12. Shnake

Shnake Member

VERY NICE, Play in good health and good tune!

Chakalawaka likes this.
  13. Quickdraw

Quickdraw Junior Member

Wow, that is truly a fantastic job! I’m trying to play my R8 like mad to get that look!

Chakalawaka likes this.
  14. gkelm

gkelm Senior Member

Seems like a lot of work to put into a copy, but the finished product looks outstanding! Perfect color IMO. And I agree, that headstock puts it over the top. Very nice!!

Chakalawaka likes this.
  15. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Member

It's a nice job, but with all the mock of a Gibson, it's still not a real Gibson. But enjoy, c'est la vie.

Chakalawaka likes this.
  16. Chakalawaka

I do agree, it's still a copy of a Gibson and not an actual Gibson, hence why I didn't even thought of putting a Gibson logo on the headstock, that would be plain wrong and misleading.
    The reason why I did this is that this guitar have a story: When I tried it the first time, it clicked instantly, and I knew I had to have that guitar. I was struggling to buy it at the time because I was a poor student (Photographic schools are expensive in France), so I broke the payment in 3 parts. My girlfriend, without telling me, went to the shop, paid the rest (which in a way worried me because anyone could have grabbed the guitar! but anyway), and brought it back home, so when I came back, here she was (the guitar), next to my amp, and it was the best gift I ever had. So I wanted to make it more special, and I would never had obtained that look with the ULTRA THICK polyurethane lacquer that was on it before...

It plays great, stays in tune (thanks to the Gotoh locking tuners, improved nut and the angle of the headstock, which isn't as pronounced as a Gibson), good sustain, the nitrocellulose lacquer really makes a difference, the neck profile is a hybrid of a 60s and 50s profile (large near the nut, and it gets thinner towards the body), pickups aren't that bad (the neck one sounds lovely, but I'm eyeing at a proper bridge pickup, any recommandations would be amazing!), so yeah, would love to have a Gibson and I'm sure it will happen someday, but for now, I'm really happy with my workhorse :)

gkelm likes this.
  17. ThirdStone

ThirdStone Junior Member

Congrats, that looks great!

18. Rgorke

Rgorke Junior Member

Looks fantastic!!! I am impressed with how the top really pops with the new finish. Does the guitar have a maple top or just a maple veneer?

Chakalawaka likes this.
  19. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

I'm liking the effort that meant the logo was covered in this change - looks great all round.

Chakalawaka likes this.
  20. Gosch

Gosch Junior Member

Good Lord! What an excellent job you've done with this guitar! It's... it's beautiful! Congratulations!

If you are looking for a suggestion for a bridge pickup, I'd recommend a Seymour Duncan Antiquity, or Seymour Duncan Seth Lover. Both are great pickups; the Antiquity is a bit more expensive and is like an aged PAF. It would look perfect on this guitar, and sound amazing. The Seth Lover is more like what a PAF pickup would have been like brand new.

Mind you, neither of these pickups are wax-potted, so if you'll be playing with really high gain and tons of distortion, you may experience noise problems. I have a Seth Lover set in my 1990 Les Paul Standard, and I have had zero problems with noise even with tons of pre-amp gain--meaning AC/DC to GnR-type sounds through a Peavey Classic 50 with a 4x10" cab and a single 15" together.

Thanks for sharing those excellent photos!

Chakalawaka likes this.