My Les Paul got jacked up by the local luthier

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by YoshiJimbo, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

You are incorrect.

2. bluesondoor

bluesondoor Senior Member

I understand this is something you do but for a business like this the deductible is what incentivizes the business to operate in good faith.

nadzab likes this.
  3. nadzab

nadzab Senior Member

I'd love to see that policy, then - it would be a very unusual one. Recall that I said, "Your liability insurance almost certainly didn't cover faulty work"...yours may have had a very limited give-back for Damage to Your Work, but that would be rare. Did you read the policy to make sure that it covered faulty work? Or did your agent tell you that it did (which is no guarantee)?

Liability insurance covers consequential damage to others caused by your negligence. Trying to think of an example that's relevant...Let's says an amp tech (with a typical general liability policy) hot rods an amp for a customer, but screws up the wiring such that when the owner takes it home and uses it, it catches fire and burns the customer's house down. The customer sustains burns escaping from the house, and the amp itself is, of course, destroyed. Damage to the customer's house? Covered. The customer's bodily injury? Covered. The loss of the amp itself? Nope.

You may have had some one-off coverage that functioned as a warranty for your faulty work, but as I said that would be an exception. And I know you said you never made such a claim, but if you did more than once or twice, the carrier would probably either non-renew your policy, or request a severe premium hike. Bad workmanship really isn't insurable in a practical way (see "moral hazard" in my previous post).

4. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

Oh damn this is a sad thread - bad luthier! Hope to see some good news coming from this thread soon!

5. moreles

moreles Senior Member

The person who worked on your guitar should repair it and sell it himself; you should be getting a replacement at his expense. Unless he said, "I'll give it a shot but you know there's a risk..." it's his responsibility. Most genuinely qualified repair people, let alone true luthiers, would immediately recognize that further thinning of an already slim-neck model is dangerous if not impossible depending on the amount of wood present below the rod channel. This dimension is not a mystery -- it's a known quantity, or at worst discoverable by drilling a pinhole. I hate hearing this story because it sounds so irresponsible and carless -- on the repair person's part, and a bit on yours as well. You may not want to argue with or "punish" they guy and can settle for whatever repair this guy can provide, and that's your choice. I wouldn't have a load of confidence myself. Sorry for this mess.

PierM and bluesondoor like this.
  6. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Unless there was pull out, aka tear out, inside the channel. Look at what some pickup routes and control cavities look like inside... chunks and tears can happen. Only takes a little bit to oopsie.

I feel bad for the guitar needing repair. But really... it was a slim taper already. The guitar-smith should have raised the "pig in a poke" scenario to the OP. Its always a pig in a poke when necks are shaved. Besides the truss rod channel... you get necks goin' for a walk in the woods (no pun intended). What if the OP's neck didn't have break though, but took a nasty corkscrew twist, or veered to the left... or whatever? Its all part of that pig in a poke scenario.

7. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Well, this all good convo and such, but I call bullshit on the OP if there are no pictures to support the story.....

8. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

Define "luthier". We're all luthiers. Sucks though, I know. The guitar isn't worth much now. You'll be paying for the new neck I assume? Plus the neck replacement cost, and then the overall devaluation of the guitar makes it hardly worth pursuing any further. If it were my choice I'd sell it for whatever I could get and move on to a new guitar.

9. Gem23

Gem23 Member

With a thinner neck?

10. bum

bum Senior Member

No with a thicker neck, that way it can be shaved safely

Gem23 likes this.
  11. fry

fry Senior Member

7936497A-76B0-4584-BC00-E450E71B70A5.jpeg Gotta be careful shaving the neck...

Gem23 likes this.
  12. bum

bum Senior Member

See how his head leans forward? He needs his truss rod adjusting

Gem23, Becker34 and endial like this.