My Les Paul got jacked up by the local luthier

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by YoshiJimbo, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

My two cents, and worth just that: Getting a neck "re-profiled" is always a pig-in-a-poke situation. Not for the truss rod issue, but more for the stress relief in the wood. That is to say... necks are profiled, then made flat on top, then the fretboard is applied. That keeps things more or less "flat" with the final product.

When you remove wood from the back, after construction, you may be relieving stresses that alter the overall flatness, and trueness of the neck. That's to say, the bend may not be in any particular direction, and you may end up with a neck that veers off to the left or right, as well as twists.

The above comes from Warmoth, btw, and really doesn't matter if you're neck is glued in or bolt on, nor the species or density of the wood.

On the other hand..... all is not lost with the neck. Think of how the truss rod is situated into the neck. The tension is on the middle of the neck, under the fretboard. The back side of the neck is just fill space, no tension there. Not sure of the color of the neck, but, it may be able to be repaired with a filler strip, and solid color finish.

2. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Thinking more on that... I cen see setting the guitar in the vertical mill, and milling a nice 1/8 inch deep channel about 5/16 wide... and putting a strip in there, a la Fender. Not a job for every shingle hanger out there, but its doable. A man who lacks a mill, could make up a router jig for the same thing, but he'd have to be very careful (and clever) in so doing.

lakeburst, jeffy, tzd and 2 others like this.
  3. bluesondoor

bluesondoor Senior Member

This guy should be covering the full cost of the guitar. He might as well have just called and said I need to destroy your Gibson, be right back.

Guitaraxe likes this.
  4. Gem23

Gem23 Member

Man. That's terrible news. Hope the situation can be amended.

5. azzapeel

azzapeel Senior Member

He is a business.... he should have liability insurance to cover such events. Get him to sort it through his insurance.

6. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Sucks!

I would push for a replacement and let them keep the ruined guitar.

Did they have any "fine print" with this kind of job?

7. Inside Guy

Inside Guy I am no longer @ Gibson V.I.P. Member

I'm not sure why you would say this as a piece of advice to the OP. Your statement is 100% incorrect. Gibson has a full repair/restoration/warranty shop in downtown Nashville. http://www.gibson.com/Support/Repair-and-Restoration.aspx

PierM, Gem23 and endial like this.
  8. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

How the hell is that even possible. I didn't think luthiers used chainsaws.

9. Gem23

Gem23 Member

Must have used a draw knife or simiar. .. whilst reading a book perhaps. .

10. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I am totally for "shaving" necks. It should be a keeper though. Just rounding off the shoulders on a thin, flat neck can transform it and increase your playing joy. It's custom fit to your hand. If if lt feels good and makes you want to play more then do it. It's totally sucky what happened. i have also heard the drill bit depth gauge thing too and it is the smart thing to do. I hope your situation works out.

endial likes this.
  11. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I said that because Gibson is not a "repair shop".
    Gibson is a guitar manufacturer.
    They have a department that does "some" repairs. And while I believe you that they would do restorations,
    again, I would specify that they will do "some" restorations and as far as warranty repairs, they will try to
    leave it at the authorized dealership or local authorized guitar luthier level as much as possible and will handle
    only the most complicated cases at the factory.
    They will not accept to do just any kind of work from "walk-ins" or "ship-ins".

How do I arrive to this conclusion?
    After living it as an "outside guy" through a dealership and distributor.

But from your end, I can understand your statement.
    I hope you can understand mine.
    :thumb:

Christosterone, PierM and endial like this.
  12. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

That really sucks... sorry.

13. YoshiJimbo

YoshiJimbo Senior Member

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am going to go by the store on Wednesday to take a look at the Les Paul.

14. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Really sorry for you. My guitar tech is probably TOO careful. My amp tech, on the other hand is a freakin' barbarian with an attitude of, "if it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway." Case in point: He thought the original speaker on a 50-plus-year-old amp sounded "a little farty," so he reached through the back and poked his finger through the cone. "Yup, just as I thought - all dried out," he says. I could have strangled him.

lakeburst, bluesondoor and DADGAD like this.
  15. bungle

bungle Senior Member

. I would have strangled him!:facepalm:

16. Hope

Hope Member

Take pics!

17. Inside Guy

Gibson has a DIVISION dedicated to performing repairs and restorations for both warranty and non-warranty work. They do handle walk-ins and ship-ins. They've been doing that for decades.

Check out the website for the Repair and restoration shop:

If you have a repair issue, a simple phone call to Gibson Repair and Restoration can offer honest, clear-cut solutions. We Evaluate each situation on an individual basis, and offer reliable time and cost estimates to give you a benchmark for your instrument's needs. Once received, a more formal evaluation takes place and a detailed quote is prepared. No work is started before all costs are approved by you. When the work is completed, we contact you for payment, and arrangements are made to put the instrument back in your hands. It's that simple. Call or email us today for your repair authorization and shipping information.

Contact Us:

Gibson Repair & Restoration
    138 12th Ave North
    Nashville, Tn. 37203
    Phone: (800) 4-GIBSON ext 2284; (615) 871-4500 ext 2284
    Fax: (615) 469-3622
    Email: repairrequest@gibson.com
    We're on Facebook!

Biddlin likes this.
  18. hadley101

hadley101 Member

Had a Les Paul Custom 57RI BB that almost got a neck shave, sounded so good.
    Thought better otherwise and knew there was someone that would love the neck
    it had. Hope he loves it because I miss it every day, you know the one we all kick
    ourselves for selling. :facepalm:

When I asked around locally there were 2 methods of neck shaving/reduction,
    all used magnets in the process but the real pros wanted to have the neck x-rayed
    before even thinking about proceeding. Even after getting x-rayed the most to hope
    for was smaller shoulders and a hair or two off under the rod.

Hope this works out for you, Good luck man

19. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I guess that's what they sell.
    Not necessarily what they deliver.
    You are/were seeing the "seller's point of view".
    I have experienced the other end.

[​IMG]

:D

Howard2k and fleahead like this.
  20. Inside Guy

If anyone is interested, you can like and follow the Guys in the Gibson repair and restoration shop on Facebook. They have posted some of their more interesting projects on their timeline.
    https://www.facebook.com/gibsonrandr/

Kaicho8888 and endial like this.