My Les Paul got jacked up by the local luthier

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by YoshiJimbo, Nov 4, 2017.

1. YoshiJimbo

YoshiJimbo Senior Member

I took my 2012 Les Paul Traditional Pro in to have the neck profile reduced. After 3 weeks the guy calls to say he cut through to the truss rod and would have to replace the neck. I'm shocked and heartbroken.

I bought the guitar new 5 years ago and it's been an absolute joy.

brianbzed likes this.
  2. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Junior Member

ouch that's gotta' hurt ...

3. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker Senior Member

youch! is it an independent repair guy or is he affiliated with a larger company?
    Pretty heavy since the resell value has pretty much plummeted, however if you were shaving it down anyway it doesn't seem like that was an issue for you. I would imagine the conversation being rather awkward if you propositioned him to send it to Gibson for a proper factory reneck.
    Otherwise I would be hoping for free service and then some (not sure exactly what).
    Is this easy to do (cutting through to the rod)? I guess as you get closer to the nut the profile is thinner....but still, really shocking.

4. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

man I hate that for you, but I do have a question......if it has been such a joy, what was the point of shaving the neck???

there are plenty of them out there, tell him to pay you for it and go hunting.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Yuck. He needs to reneck it on his own dime, and hopefully you can find a new luthier. Best of luck, YJ.

6. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Wow, that's too bad.
    If he went through the neck to the truss rod,
    is he really the guy to install a new neck?
    Are we talking about a new Gibson neck?
    Why not let Gibson handle it (with the right profile neck for you)
    and the so-called luthier pay for it?

Maybe he should give you the guitar back as it is and you find the right person to fix it
    and he pays for it?
    I would try to have him on record ("Call recal"l is a free mobile app that lets you record conversations...)
    saying that he fucked up and then you'd have a "handle" on him.
    This thing might go to small claims court eventually.

Let us know what happens.
    Take control.

7. YoshiJimbo

YoshiJimbo Senior Member

An independent.

Ah, I didn't know having Gibson repair it was an option. Thanks!

8. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Gibson is not a repair shop but in some cases they will repair an instrument.
    I think it would at least be worth asking.

9. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

That really hurts. Im very sorry for you.

10. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

I hope that your luthier is paying for whatever the solution may turn out to be. When I worked as a repair tech, I had liability insurance, though gratefully never needed to use it. Gibson might do a new neck, but they are very expensive. I got a quote from them on a much simpler headstock overlay repair that was nearly $1k!

fleahead likes this.
  11. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

Sheeeit man.......sheeeit...
    He should pay for a replacement

J

12. endial

endial Senior Member

The trick to not shaving through to the truss rod is NOT a well-kept secret. You take a fine drill bit to the back of the neck straight in until you meet the truss rod (-or break through to the void. You can feel that.), pull the drill bit from the drill, and use it as a depth gauge to see how far you have to go. Easy as pie. A small hole is easily plugged, and quite unnoticeable.
    If this guy didn't know that, well...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    jcsk8, YoshiJimbo, DADGAD and 2 others like this.
  13. 2manyGuitars

2manyGuitars Senior Member

Malikon, TheZ, Lloyd_m and 4 others like this.
  14. Kitsune

Kitsune Member

Really sorry for your guitar but I'd put pressure on the guy that ruined it and ask for a damn new one or at least a replacement if I were you.
    No way I would accept a repaired neck or let this guy near my guitar again! I can understand having a repair if I drop my guitar or if I damaged it myself but not so in this case.

15. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

WOW, that`s awfull .... really wtf :hyper:

16. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I'm very sorry to hear that, but IIRC isn't that model having a Slim Taper profile? I mean, there is not really room to shave that neck, especially at the vertex, since the trussrod does sit just under 0.35/0.39" of wood. He should have shaved just the taper, not really the vertex.

17. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

"The local luthier". That's a scary phrase around my parts. I agree with the sentiments expressed above, but also fully realize that if that happened to me I'd just be SOL. Can't squeeze blood from a turnip. I hope it ends better for you. I know how it would end for me.

18. Filipem

Filipem Senior Member

Man that sucks. I feel for you. Yeah I'd try to get the value of the guitar from the luthier and buy another one. Plenty of trads to choose from in the used market.

19. Justin_Case

Justin_Case Senior Member

JHMO - Don't let this guy do the re-neck. Find someone like Greg at BCR Music & Sound with a proven track record of stellar repair work = 300 S 3rd St, Lemoyne, PA 17043 -(717) 730-9775

I spent many years in the insurance industry, and from that vantage point, the guitar is an " Economic Total ". The cost and time to repair it with a neck replacement and the associated paint / finish work is not worth fixing for the end result.

From an adjuster's point of view, to spend the money to fix, when the end result may not be acceptable, and the value of the guitar will be substantially lower due to the re-neck, is simply a bad financial decision.

Numbers:

Replacement value of a Trad Pro II is $1250 to $1500 tops.

Part out the original guitar BallPark - Case $100, Pickups+Electronics $200. Grovers - $50. Husk - $50

Delta = $1375 average cost to replace - $400 = $975

Parts and Labor from a qualified / reputable repair shop?? $500 I would think be on the very low end in light of all the labor involved. Cost of a Neck from Gibson? Color matching the neck or a whole new paint job?

Value of the " Re-Necked " Trad Pro assuming the repair is disclosed = $750 to $1000, assuming a perfect repair; no playability or fit and finish issues.

Also from an adjuster's point of view, you are out a guitar to play, no different than when a car would be in a shop after an accident, the cost of a rental guitar while the repairs are being done would have to factored in - cost / value ????

The downside risk of the repair not going right could easily cost more in the long run than getting replacement guitar. In this case, an insurance company will " cut bait " and call it a total loss. Pay for a replacement, recoup as much as possible in salvage value, and close the file.

BBD, Howard2k, gnappi and 3 others like this.
  20. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

So, what's the word from this guy?