My Last PAF (CLONE) "SHOOT-OUT"

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jamman, Mar 17, 2012.

Vote for the one you like the Most. 1st is best, down to last & is not you cup of tea

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. This is the 1

29.2%
  2. Next choice 2nd best

29.2%
  3. Next choice 3rd best

16.7%
  4. Next choice 4th. best

25.0%
  5. Next choice 5th. best

16.7%
  6. Next choice

20.8%
  7. Next choice

16.7%
  8. Next choice

41.7%
  9. Next choice

29.2%
  10. Next choice

20.8%
  11. Next choice

25.0%
  12. Next choice

25.0%
  13. Next choice

25.0%
  14. Next choice

20.8%
  15. Next choice

25.0%
  16. Next choice

37.5%
  17. Next and Last choice

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Nico , It's all good and I felt no offence from you . I am happy to answer questions about the set up and the other things that go into doing this . No Mic was used, only the video camera's mic. It did take about a week ~ to get the placement I was happy with . Nothing was edited or processed . Every video is what happen during that take . Of course, there were many takes . On average, about 15 per day for each pup .
    I now get sick when i play that backing track . :laugh2:

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

:thumb:

3. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I picked one of my Medium Output PAF sets because, well, it was the medium output one. Sort of a "Goldy Locks" set. Not too hot, not too bright. I just pulled the materials from my regular stock. Not a special wind or anything like that.

The other set, my Creme Brulee set, was the final prototype Creme Brulee set. I'd been playing with that new model for a while and the one I sent in was the one that I built and said, "Ah, that's what I was going for!" ...and because I document every aspect of every pickup I build thoroughly, every Creme Brulee set I've built afterwards has been just exactly the same (unless a customer requested otherwise).

So, no, nothing special. These were both just the normal models I list and sell. I'm happy to do custom tweaks at request, but I wanted to send in my regular models for the shootout.

Of course, we won't find out which ones are which until later. :D

4. fuelie

fuelie Senior Member

I think he was talking about picking them from the videos. Not what you sent in you shameless self promoting bastard. :D

2 people like this.
  5. bill m

bill m Premium Member MLP Vendor

Same here. The RD-59's and the Fatty Arbucker sets are just regular production pickups that were sent for the shootout.

The RD-59 set was pulled from one of my Les Pauls that travels to guitar shows, so some of the members here have actually played this very set at Philly. They are back into the guitar and ready for the next guitar show.

The Fatty Arbucker set was already made, as it was left over from the last guitar show, so they weren't specially made for the shootout.

Anyone who wants to hear and play these pickups in person and lives in the Dallas TX area, I will be at the Dallas guitar show on April 20,21,22.

1 person likes this.
  6. bill m

Sorry Kevin, I did it to.

7. fuelie

fuelie Senior Member

Same goes for YOU punk. :D

:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  8. bill m

No, I like the other winders much better.

9. bill m

Hah, I resemble that remark.:naughty:

10. cooljuk

:applause: Ha!

Ohhhhhhh. I see. I didn't pick any. I'm not participating in the voting. I'm just doing this as a learning exercise to educate myself. Besides, if I voted, I'd probably pick other's pickups anyway. It's quite possible that I'll end up buying a set of another winder's when this is all over. There are some excellent choices in here.

1 person likes this.
  11. fuelie

fuelie Senior Member

Well, since you guys did it.... lol

I knew going in I could send a hotter set but I wanted to see how my low output stuff would fair.

It may be one of the lowest DCR wise involved if I'm not mistaken.

I've listened to all of them through cans and my playback setup way too much over the past few days. Taken breaks here and there to cleanse my ears. It really is a great collection of pickups and kind of panned out how I thought. Very comparable vintage tone with subtle differences.

1 person likes this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I just took the first ones off the shelf. I did not pick "the best" example nor wind anything special for my contenders.

1 person likes this.
  13. cooljuk

It wouldn't make sense for any of us to wind something "special" or "better" for this.

If any of us could make something better than what we sell, it would then become what we sell. :rofl: I don't think any of us are holding out and reserving the "special mojo sauce" just for ourselves.

2 people like this.
  14. fuelie

fuelie Senior Member

Oh, don't get me wrong... It was my standard wind. Just my lower output offering. :)

1 person likes this.
  15. cooljuk

I knew whatcha meant. :cheers: I was more commenting on the overall idea that we might be holding back something. The "unicorn dandruff" as the Lt. would say.

16. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Minew was the most translucent just listen to clip 18 and you will see.

1 person likes this.
  17. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

I picked Kevins lol. Freaking A now his head is gonna swell.

18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:D

Nico & Jamman.................I am feeling the love! :thumb: :laugh2:

:love:

Sorry guys, I have not finished my listening.....................best post I can come up with today. :D

:cheers:

1 person likes this.
  19. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Great job, and a really good bit of playing, and a really worthwhile exercise. I will vote when I've litened to them all on decent headphones.

However, a comment on the recording. Notice how the backing track fades down as the guitar starts playing, and then comes back up when it stops? That's the video camera's automatic level control taking the recording level down as the sound pressure level in the room goes up. Effectively reducing the dynamic range to make the recording clearer. Which is good for things to sound nice, but bad in that all the pickups sound like they've got a bit more attack and a bit more bloom than they have in real life.

I can guess just how much work you put into this, so I really don't want to seem like I'm putting it down. All the pickups definitely get a fair run for their money, and an unbiased shot at people finding out what they are like.

Thanks for doing this - I'll do my best to get them all listened to.

Liam

2 people like this.
  20. bill m

I've done all of my listening and have decided my top 5 picks. If it is appropriate I'd like to post them?

1 person likes this.