My Last PAF (CLONE) "SHOOT-OUT"

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jamman, Mar 17, 2012.

Vote for the one you like the Most. 1st is best, down to last & is not you cup of tea

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. This is the 1

29.2%
  2. Next choice 2nd best

29.2%
  3. Next choice 3rd best

16.7%
  4. Next choice 4th. best

25.0%
  5. Next choice 5th. best

16.7%
  6. Next choice

20.8%
  7. Next choice

16.7%
  8. Next choice

41.7%
  9. Next choice

29.2%
  10. Next choice

20.8%
  11. Next choice

25.0%
  12. Next choice

25.0%
  13. Next choice

25.0%
  14. Next choice

20.8%
  15. Next choice

25.0%
  16. Next choice

37.5%
  17. Next and Last choice

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Backstage

Backstage Senior Member

First of all: Thanks a lot for your effort! It's a lot of fun listen to all these great tones. And exactly that's the problem, at the moment I can't vote because I have to listen to the clips a lot more :).

1 person likes this.
  2. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

I listened to all the clips once through to kinda get the gist of what jamman's rig sounded like and to get used to the licks he was playing. I then went through all of the clips again and took brief notes and chose the three that really impressed me and the watched those three a third time to choose the order of the "top three." It was a long procedure but I had the night off and really just wanted to hear these pickups! This was an awesome idea and I thank jamman and the participating winders for putting this thing together!

2 people like this.
  3. bill m

bill m Senior Member

I see that some members are using the poll. At first I didn't understand what they were voting on, but now I believe I do. It seems if they like, say clip 6 the best, they count count down 6 and click the 6th box. I guess that could work. I think jamman also wants to know what your 2nd, 3rd,4th, and so on, picks are, so you still need to post in the thread. I noticed the members who used the poll did that already. Good job guys.

2 people like this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Lots of viewers, few people giving their opinions. I think many will be giving opinions AFTER they find out which pickups are which!

1 person likes this.
  5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Groups of 4, choosing the best of that group, then the next group and so on and then semi finals and a gran final for the best repro of this test would have been a bit more interesting to me, i can't really judge with one listen.

So far i liked 2 out of 8 i have listed, but i don't trust my way of listening this right now.:hmm:

1 person likes this.
  6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Yes, like a March Madness bracket. That is a good idea. However one could use this method at home. Do it in groups of 4, pick one and then do another group, pick one, and so on, untill you have 4 or 5 finalists and then choose one or two from those.

I would think that someone may like more than one equally well, even if it is for different reasons.

2 people like this.
  7. nicolasrivera

Yes, that how i will do it. But this could turn interesting for weekly matches you know, would make it easier to many and bit more attractive, more votes from more members!

Any how great job Jamman!:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  8. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Having listened for the 2nd time the first 8 clips, I will just share some thoughts.

I find it extremely interesting, after reading some comments from fellow-members, that what is their tonal nirvana for me it's ''not quite there'' or ''flat sounding'' or ''too much of something'' and I'm sure this works vice-versa. It verifies to me that there is no such a thing as ''objectively best sounding'', it's always ''best sounding / best working pair of pickups for you''.

2nd personal remark is that the pickup that makes it or breaks it, each single time, is the neck one. This one is what makes a pair truly shine or ruins it for me. And as a wider opinion, it's the neck pickup that separates and sets apart the the Les Paul from the other guitar designs.

Off I go, for the rest of them.:cool:

9 people like this.
  9. nicolasrivera

Could not agree more, same thing happens with out taste in woman, cars, beer and colors!:dude::dude:

We are all different.

3 people like this.
  10. Quill

Quill Senior Member

Wow ... what an incredible amount of work! Huge contribution.

I don't think I heard a single set in there - maybe one or two pairs, if I was feeling really fussy - that I would not want to work with. And, I didn't hear a single set that'd make me pull out the ones I have! And that's a nice feeling, let me tell you!

Interesting - Rod, who has ears I tremendously respect, feels almost exactly the opposite to me; I thought that, by and large, the bridge pickups were quite good in almost every case, but the neck pickups tended to vary, and it was in those variations where I tended to decide whether I liked the set either very much or just a little bit or maybe not so much.

I couldn't possibly rank them, but the sets that jumped out at me as having a very appealing sound in both pickups were (going by the numbers of each video as they are listed in the first post) sets 7, 10, 13, 15 and 16. Bridge pickups that I just loved were in sets 3, 9, 12, 14 and 17 I unfortunately saw that a lot of people were responding well to set 8, and being something of an outlier by nature, I'd already decided that I wasn't going to like that one so I hardly gave set 8 a fair shot! :laugh2: Could have been just warming up through sets 1 and 2, so those probably didn't get a fair listen, either.

Great job, jamman - helluva lot of work, and you chose lines that were nice to hear, and not fatiguing at all to listen to repeatedly.

... to me, a two-humbucker guitar like a Les Paul ... how to put it ... for me, the bridge is about the attack; the teeth of the note, and its hands and feet, all from the bridge pickup. The neck is about the throat, the belly and the breath. It's a crazy way to put it, but there you go. Where I did not care for a pickup, especially a neck pickup, it was in the way they responded to the initial attack - but, if I have any point to make at all, it's just that for me the qualities of the neck pickup that I listen for tend to come later in the note. I just gave a quick listen to each, and wanted to get through the whole list, and likely I'll come back again later, as I'm sure many who are listening will also do, and listen more closely especially to the neck pickups. I did think that some of the neck pickups might reveal other things if given some longer tones, but - no doubt - that is as much a set-up issue as it is a quirk of the build.

Have to say again - fantastic work, a great contribution!

And so many great pickups, wow ... wow!

7 people like this.
  11. Backstage

Backstage Senior Member

No, I need a little time to hear them over :).

2 people like this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Jamman, I need at least another 2 days, so whatever you do don't post the list...............I won't sit on the fence. :)

Thanks.

:cheers:

2 people like this.
  13. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Thanks Bill , anyway the members vote is good . If people only vote for a few that's fine too. Whether it's using the poll or posting a reply, it all works for me. Yes , It would be great to know all of the pickups each member likes.

:hmm:
    Nico, anyway you do it is good . Trust yourself . Listen to what your head tells you. Thanks

Thanks for the great post and all the kind words . Part of what is on the videos is a time snippet of the evolution of what I felt to play. It took over a month to do all the videos. By the last of the pups i knew what I wanted to play and I tried to keep it interesting. I did have concern that it would get boring.

Everyone likes what they like, and in this time we live in, having all the great Winders to choose from, is what makes this all so special.

Saturday :cool:

2 people like this.
  14. jamman

jamman Premium Member

JUMP:wow:

:lol:

1 person likes this.
  15. BrazenPicker

BrazenPicker Senior Member

I just listened through the whole batch and there's 3 that jump out right now, but I definitely need to listen again. A couple of my favorites from sunday don't sound that special right now, so there you go... Will definitely submit a vote by the end of the week.

16. JoBeans

JoBeans Senior Member

OK, I cannot figure out the poll and the order of the vidz is messing with my mind. So, since I am a moron, I will just say that the two that sets that I LOVED were (in order):
    3 of 17 (#15?)
    1 of 17 (#17?)

I can't wait to see which ones they turn out to be.

3 people like this.
  17. fretboarder

fretboarder Senior Member

think ive chose the four sets that i like best, in no order they are.

those are the ones i like most.

4 people like this.
  18. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

Lol I keep re listening to them and it is just cementing my top three choices in stone... If I could make a set, it would be the #8 neck pickup and the #12 bridge. I also still like #1 a lot, and I'm starting to think that they may be either the Shaws or the patent sticker set...

1 person likes this.
  19. jamman

jamman Premium Member

You not a moron at all . It was Photobucket's way of counting . The X of X is their way . If used , the #'s below or in the upper right hand corner of the video page , all are correctly marked and are the #'s I used in listing in the Thread Here .

Re-listening to the 1's you like is the way to go. :thumb: When the complete list of details is posted ......Well , It will be very interesting . :hmm:

20. fuelie

fuelie Senior Member

One thing I have been considering while I listen to the clips is the fact the guitar controls are wide open during the videos. This coupled with a pretty neutral adjusted amp says alot about the quality of the winds in this thread and what kind of room you have to work with using your controls.

After quite a bit of listening to all the clips I have to say I'm quite happy I sent a set in to play with you guys. Lots of good stuff in here and kudos to all of us spinning copper. :cheers:

7 people like this.