My Last PAF (CLONE) "SHOOT-OUT"

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jamman, Mar 17, 2012.

Vote for the one you like the Most. 1st is best, down to last & is not you cup of tea

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. This is the 1

29.2%
  2. Next choice 2nd best

29.2%
  3. Next choice 3rd best

16.7%
  4. Next choice 4th. best

25.0%
  5. Next choice 5th. best

16.7%
  6. Next choice

20.8%
  7. Next choice

16.7%
  8. Next choice

41.7%
  9. Next choice

29.2%
  10. Next choice

20.8%
  11. Next choice

25.0%
  12. Next choice

25.0%
  13. Next choice

25.0%
  14. Next choice

20.8%
  15. Next choice

25.0%
  16. Next choice

37.5%
  17. Next and Last choice

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Brad737

Brad737 Senior Member

Personally, I don't give a rip what the poll results were. I used the videos to see which pickups *I* liked. The videos helped me pick two different pickup sets, which I'm in love with. For the record, my two favorites were the vintage Gibson Patent Numbers and the Electric City RD-59s. Thanks again for a LOT of work. It REALLY helped me in my tone quest.

4 people like this.
  2. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Exactly the same approach from me too (but with different results) and IMHO that was exactly the whole point of the shoot-out.

3 people like this.
  3. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Haha, me too! I loved the Throbak in #1 spot and the Shaws in #2 based on the sound clips. I ended up getting some Throbaks and stealing the Shaws from Jamman and the Shaws sit in my 01 Standard for the forseeable future. In my hands the Throbaks were decent, but the Shaws have some of the magic I've been after.

2 people like this.
  4. LpCustom2007

LpCustom2007 Senior Member

Great shootout and very interesting stuff!

I tend to like the pickups that have a bit more attack in them, and not so "dull" sound. The pat nrs, shaws, RD59 and Skatterbrane Burstbranes sounded best I think.

I have a set of Sheptones Tributes coming up, will be interesting to see how I like them. From this clip I thought they stood up medium well, somewhere in the middle.

At the moment I have Duncan Antiquities in my R9, and I´m very happy with them, I think they are totally killer. I just got the Sheps cause they were cheap on a sale and I wanted to have a set of double creams, and obviously it´s fun to try new stuff.

2 people like this.
  5. bill m

bill m Senior Member

The Sheps should have plenty attack.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

How about $5000 for a old original set?
    $500 is quite fair since IMHO this particular winder you speak of makes a perfect PAF clone..:slash:
    His SLE 101's and the others he offers are outstanding

7. Brad737

Brad737 Senior Member

I don't care how "perfect" his clones are. He has taken peoples' money, wouldn't send the pickups they ordered for over a year, and allowed other people to pay a "VIP" upcharge to get pickups in a week? Dirtbag, if you ask me.

As for his pickups, I've tried them in a friend's guitar. They did sound nice, but not any better than my ECPs, Wolfetones, or Sheptones.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

really? :shock: I had no idea this kind of thing went on with throbaks?

9. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

yeah i agree about this but also want to say i noticed(and this is totally natural for any human) not ever single example was played with the same exact feel or vigor
    for instance i picked up(pardon the pun) that the player was groovin(feelin) on certain pu's more than others and it reflected in his playing and as a result made a few pu's sound not as lively.
    Just like if i were to do a shoot out of my favorites along with some others thrown in the mix i would definitely play better on the ones i liked or that felt better to me under my fingers. in result creating a more lively tone
    I can promise you if this shootout was done again with the same exact pu's but with 5 different players everybody's vote would change each time including mine.
    My point? there is no sure fire way to hear a p'u until you are actually playing it in your guitar,through your amp with your hands.

3 people like this.
  10. Brad737

Brad737 Senior Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm talking about Dave Stephens of Stephens Designs. I've only heard good things about Jon from Throbak.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

Oh ok sorry i thought it was about throbak.
    Good to hear that THROBAK is not any part of that sort of practice.
    STEPHENS DESIGNS i have heard some negative things about

12. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

I did not even mention the fact that no two sets of pu's will sound good on the same guitar.
    Say i buy a set of OTPG's and i know i love them going by what i heard on clips so i put them in my guitar and am very let down?
    does that mean they are not good after all? No of course not but they sounded right in that guitar but not mine.
    It is maddening but also a reality and explains why i have been through so many pu's:slash:

13. mhwlaw

mhwlaw Junior Member

Hello:
    I guess this is the thread I should post on. I just completed a A/B test of 1991 Tim Shaw Pickups (Jimmy Wallace LP) v. 2002 Class 5 with Burstbuckers 2&3. The amp was a 96 Matchless Chieftain 2x10 suitcase. Amp settings went from totally clean, slight gain, middle of the gain knob, 3/4 gain and 9/10 gain. Guitar settings always were full for tone on both PUs. Volume tested at 2 and at 10. Modest reverb was used and never changed. All amp tone knobs and brightness at 12:00. Both guitars original no mods.

Low Volume: Shaw pickups were sweeter, mellower and had better tone range. Burstbuckers had better pick attack and were more midrange. Both sounded great but the buckers sounded a bit more like the modern les paul sound.

gain at 12:00: Burstbuckers were more bluesy, again with slightly more midrange bite. The Shaws had more "sing" but were softer on attack. Againthe Shaws seemed to bring out the whole range of sound, but were a bit more mellow. For single note playing the buckers were better to my ear.

3/4 and full (guitars at full): For rhythm the Shaws were much better. They had better punch, sounded more alive, seemed to have slightly more saturation and a fuller range of tone. But for single note the buckers had better note definition, were better for pinch harmonics, and had more "cut" than the Shaws.

I was surprised that overall volume was very close to the same at all levels. Also, while I have pointed out the differences, both sounded great and any differences would disappear when played in a band. But as we used to say in formula car racing, "it's the nut behind the wheel that is the most important part of the machine".

14. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

Interesting ....................................I wont share all the details ....................

15. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Please do ,,, It's been so long since anyone has commented in this thread ,,,, Good bad, or whatever ... It's all good and I've got thick skin ....
    Keep in mind These are Old videos now and in pup years ,,,Ready for the nursing home :shock:
    They seem to still be serving a purpose , which I'm surprised about , and if it helps some ,, That's what it was all about ...never thought it would get the # of hits it has.... :cheers:

And for that, I thank all who have found use for them :cool2:

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    CheopisIV likes this.
  16. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

This was the thread that got me sniffing around at different PAFs way before I put wire to bobbin. Started the whole journey for me! If I recall correctly, I bought the Shaw set from you and THOSE got me on a Shaw collection kick. I've since recovered...sorta.

I still have local copies of these clips after there was issues with hosting, still listen once in a while and Still appreciate all the hard work you did here. :cheers2:

jamman likes this.
  17. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Just went to PB and it appears some huge issues are happening with them ... I can not access any of my posted vids or pics to get links to use for posting . As part of PB new intimidation methods being used to get you to pay .I will not shut off my AD-Blocker as it's part of my Net Security ... So I'm left with no choice as to what to do ...

I will have no choice but to delete every upload I have ever put on that site ...
    I do have personal copies of all the videos , and once I find another site and post them there , I will ask 1 of our Mods to open this thread so I can post links to them ,so they can be viewed ....

Thanks to all our members here , who have found these videos helpful(that was the idea) and viewed them many ,more times then I ever dreamed they would be ... And have left so many nice comments .

Jeff

mdubya likes this.
  18. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I would offer to host the videos on my server account, Jeff, but I fear that could be viewed as a conflict of interest, seeing as I entered this competition five years ago when you kindly did it and, if I remember right, I did pretty well.

Hopefully someone else without direct relation to the contest as a participant will step up to the plate and offer you some free hosting for these. It'd be a real shame to not have them here anymore.

19. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Yeah that is kind of dumb of Photobucket to do. That's why I suggest youtube.com

20. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I haven't used Photobucket in a decade. Horrible interface. YouTube would be a great option because of easy access on any device and it would get a much bigger audience just for people who want to hear a particular pickup regardless of the contest.

Hector Arcadius likes this.