My Last PAF (CLONE) "SHOOT-OUT"

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jamman, Mar 17, 2012.

Vote for the one you like the Most. 1st is best, down to last & is not you cup of tea

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. This is the 1

29.2%
  2. Next choice 2nd best

29.2%
  3. Next choice 3rd best

16.7%
  4. Next choice 4th. best

25.0%
  5. Next choice 5th. best

16.7%
  6. Next choice

20.8%
  7. Next choice

16.7%
  8. Next choice

41.7%
  9. Next choice

29.2%
  10. Next choice

20.8%
  11. Next choice

25.0%
  12. Next choice

25.0%
  13. Next choice

25.0%
  14. Next choice

20.8%
  15. Next choice

25.0%
  16. Next choice

37.5%
  17. Next and Last choice

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

If that's what's important to you, what about getting a set wound by the actual, physically same Leesona winder machine that actually wound the actual PAFs from late '50s, played by all your guitar gods?

Well, just go to your nearest music shop, get a Seymour Duncan Seth
    Lover set and that's EXACTLY what you get, approved by the man that invented the PAF p'up himself, just before passing away.

Then you can stop biatching and moaning 'bout what you would like to have but can't afford. :naughty:

2 people like this.
  2. Gvecchi

Gvecchi Member

Dear friends, sorry for any inconvenience. I believe price is a important aspect in this subject and, of corse, it is just my opinion.

I did not intend to be rude or judge anybody here.
    I promisse not post any quote here anymore. Is that ok with you?

Best

3. rykus

rykus Senior Member

Thanks again for making and reposting this jamman, it is an excellent resource and a giant contribution to this forum and its members. The amount of work,time and $ put in is staggering, despite the drama that sometimes gets overwhelming, its contributions like this and members like jamman that show the community and support we can have online.
    And for all the back and forth between winders, i think these clips show the truth of the matter, all the winders are actually really great in thier own right, and really its just matching up tones of guitars and pu's to achieve the tone your hunting for.

Thanks so much again jamman,

4 people like this.
  4. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Janman is good people.

Something like what he did takes a LOT of time and effort.

6 people like this.
  5. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Thanks for the kind words guys . We have a fine Forum here and it's great when our members post what they do or how they feel . Shows everyone that we are from all walks of life and have all points of view . Most of the Winders here are the best to deal with and from my experience , great guys to know . :thumb:

Musicians are Motley crew , ain’t they ? :naughty:

4 people like this.
  6. Brad737

Brad737 Senior Member

MONUMENTAL thread!!!

If I can add my humble opinion, I liked all of them...especially the bridge pickups. While they weren't my favorites, I was surprised how good the Shaws sounded to my ears, especially the neck. For me the RD-59, Stephens Design, and Sheptones were great bridges, along with the early Patent Sticker. As for the neck pickups, the Patent number won by a landslide. Next up was the RD-59, followed by the Shaw.

I had a couple "takeaway" thoughts...First, the price doesn't dictate the tone at all to me, except for the Patent stickers. Secondly, these are all winners. We're lucky to have so many different great options.

I think if I could find a decent set of Patent numbers for a good price, I'm going to jump on them. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards the Electric City RDs.

2 people like this.
  7. bill m

bill m Senior Member

If you are going the pre t-top pat sticker route, please be careful. I wouldn't buy a set with out hearing them first as they all are not created equally, especially in the neck position. The pat sticker set jamman used in this shootout has a nice clear neck tone and is a good set. Not all of them sound that good.

2 people like this.
  8. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

I have here the set used in the shoot-out. :)

They measure 7.82k and 7.15k. Inductance @ 400hz : 4.24H and 3.56H.

"crisp, natural, nice bite"? Yes. "Little thin"? Not so much, IMHO/IME.

The bridge has almost the tech specs of a Tim Shaw that I've measured @ 7.53k and 4.2H...

The neck is technically close to some low wound T-Top patent sticker that I've measured too.

To my ears/ with my gear, the Twangbranes actually sound a bit fuller in the mids (albeit transparent) than these two Gibson models, thx to their A2 mags and slightly lower Q factor.

FYI & FWIW.

1 person likes this.
  9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Sorry eveyone who is looking for the Shootout Videos . This is all from PhotoBucket . I will not be buying More Bandwith and the videos should return on the 13th. of the month

Thanks for understanding ,
    Jamman

10. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Might want to consider uploading them to Youtube?

1 person likes this.
  11. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Had them there , but in about a year there were about 200 hits . Not worth keeping them there and I really didn't like You-tube . Soooo , they are gone .

I see that i am able to buy extra bandwith on a per month basis . So i have paid and everything is back to normal :lol: whatever that is :wow:
    Thanks

3 people like this.
  12. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Thanks again, Jeff, for putting this all together and maintaining it.

I'd gladly offer to host the content on my server, same with the recent Canadian Shootout which had server trouble too, but I feel like it may be viewed as a conflict of interest or bias, since I had pickups in both shootouts.

I'm sure glad that there are guys out there willing to do all this in the interest of public knowledge. :cheers:

3 people like this.
  13. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

OK well if you change your mind I be willing help with since I hardly have any video posted on Youtube

2 people like this.
  14. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Same goes for me Jamman. I would be extremely proud to post the videos on my channel. Let me know any time.:cool:

2 people like this.
  15. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

I offered VastHorizon the same thing for the Canadian PAF shootout, just waiting to hear back :thumb:

2 people like this.
  16. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Thanks guys , I do appreciate the offers . who says the menmbers here ain't the best .
    IMO , none better .

It's taken care of and even I'm not so cheap as to not pay an extra $3 bucks

:D

4 people like this.
  17. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

Also OTPGS personal fav, as well as, another guy that had a ok set of ears, Ken Fisher. FWIW..

I feel the OP did a FANTASTIC JOB with all his efforts, on what must have been an enormous undertaking, with this poll though. :applause::applause::applause:

18. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I have followed and liked this thread from the start but still can't grasp the jist of the poll.:eek:

19. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Don't worry about the poll . things got a little messed up on my side and it became a long story . It was and still is mainly for having some sound clips for listen to . If they can help someone deside if a pup is good for them , all the better .

Honestly, I'm really not looking for it to happen . And i'm not going to lay out all the money for all the other pickups involved .

And yes it was months of work .

2 people like this.
  20. jamman

jamman Premium Member

My reply sould be inclued to that quote , Thanks

2 people like this.