Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jamman, Mar 17, 2012.
Sorry guys the videos are gone .
Mods please delete the thread .
This thread is back, and Janman has agreed to repost all links.
He did a great service by conducting this shootout, I expect all members to post respectfully here.
Double thanks. Even if a brand did not place in the top 3, it gives us a reference point in time. Each and every winder who studies the different samples has a basis for improving his next pickup. Never stop winding, listening, and experimenting. Who says the PAF is the final stop in life's long journey?
This is an invaluable resource, because it provides a lot of samples created with the same baseline.
Thank you Jamman!
Great stuff...good to see it back. I take it the more 'heated' posts with *********** were removed...?
Edit: never mind
very cool threat!
my personal subjective opionion after first listening (after second listening could be different. in the end i was tired and all sound same):
1. nice crisp, woody, transparent, but little thin
2. round, warm, but not transparent enough
3. nice crisp with round backround
4. transparent, hollow, woody
5. transparent, crisp, natural, woody but a little thin
6. trebely, woody, nice bite
7. woody, round, not transparent
8. round, warm, not transparent
9. transparent, hollow, woody
10. trebely, woody, not transparent
11. transparent, woody, crisp
12. crisp, natural, nice bite, little thin
13. trebely, but the neck a bit dull
14. crisp, woddy
15. nice bite, round, not transparent
16. nice bite, woody, transparent
17. trebely, thin
do we know which one clip belongs to which humi? i didnt read all pages.
I'll repost it here for you later .Thanks.
I suggest using Headphones . They make a big difference in what you hear and the differences between the pickups
Video # ......................................My Ohms reading
1. Sheds – PAF Daddy’s Neck=7.61 , Bridge=7.95
2. Sheds – Blues & Two’s Neck=7.87 , Bridge=8.49
3. Fuelie – Plane Jane Neck=7.05 , Bridge=8.37
4. Zhangbucker – Both Pure Hand Wound // Pagey 2 n , Slugbucker b // Neck=7.5 Bridge=8.3
5. Stephens Designs – VL 2’s Neck=7.66 , Bridge=8.21
6. ReWind Electric – Crème Brulee’, Medium Output Neck=7.89 , Bridge=8.1
7. Rewind Electric – Zebras, Medium Output Neck=7.13 , Bridge=7.90
8. Electric City – RD-59 No Reading taken
9. Electric City – Fatty Arbucker No readings taken
10. ThroBak – SLE 101 MXV LTD. Neck=7.70 , Bridge=8.23
11. Shaw’s (137 &138) Neck=7.3 , Bridge=7.53 Magnets ????
12. Skatterbranes – Twangbranes I didn’t take readings
13. Skatterbranes – Burstbranes I didn’t take readings
14. Skatterbranes – Woodbranes I didn’t take reading
15. Early Pat. #’s (Gibson) Neck=7.25 , Bridge=7.34
16. OTPG Neck=7.55 , Bridge=8.35
17. Sheptone – Tributes Neck=7.76 , Bridge=8.36
Yes ,This is the correct order of how I posted the Videos.
yes i hear em again with headphones and there is a big difference cause you can hear the lower frequences as well. in the end....i like em all each one has its own character.
but great shoot out! thanks a lot!
I have the burstbranes that were in this shootout. The readings are 8.3K in the neck and 8.9K bridge. Hope that helps.
Glad this is back. Jamman, buddy - you're the best! This is a great ear-training exercise, and I'll bet it's helped a lot of people learn to hear what at first are tiny differences, then become subtle but interesting differences, then - WHOA! - the ears open up, and the understanding deepens, and then they are very important and satisfying distinctions.
I like them all, too. So many different colours!
My first time through, I had the clips lined up to play back to back and mostly it just became a steady drone as I got busy surfing other stuff. Then one set caught my ears in such a way I actually froze, stopped my surfing and listened. I was completely entranced by the sound.
What were they? It's irrelevant as it was my ears hearing them and my own tastes may differ from others. I'd encourage everyone to do the same, regardless of the results of the poll.
This was (and is) one of the most amazing contributions to the forum I've seen. Thanks Jamman for getting it done and putting it back up!
Well, I'll be damn*d; I had almost the same experience.
In my case, it was the RD-59 set.
Today, I'm a proud owner of a RD-59 Hybrid set, which the Low Wind neck p'up worked better for me in my #1 1980 MIJ All-Maple 335 copy.
This is the one I was referring to.
Oh come on buddy you have to share
Well if I HAVE to share, it was the Throbak set. What I heard was exactly what I wanted to hear in a set of PAF pickups. I still have as of yet to grab a set.
#2 was the Shaws. I even ended up getting that set off Jamman and they sit in my current #1 a 2001 Standard Plaintop with fat 50's neck.
I don't live in USA, but I think it's right to say US500 for a pair of new pickups is obscene.
No one is forcing you to buy them.
That's what Seymour Duncans are for.
Of corse not.
I just think you can also get a superb tone buying a US250-300 pups from Zhangbucker or ECP, for example. IMO no makes any sense pay twice this price just because the Throbak winder machine is 60 years old.
And sorry for my bad english!
Let's keep this thread on topic, shall we? It has nothing to do with the price of pickups at all.
If that's all that matters to you then by all means don't buy em. I was going blind by ears alone and those were the ones that grabbed me by the ear-balls. I was hoping it was a lower priced set as well believe me! Do some listening to the clips and decide for yourself