My Last PAF (CLONE) "SHOOT-OUT"

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jamman, Mar 17, 2012.

Vote for the one you like the Most. 1st is best, down to last & is not you cup of tea

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. This is the 1

29.2%
  2. Next choice 2nd best

29.2%
  3. Next choice 3rd best

16.7%
  4. Next choice 4th. best

25.0%
  5. Next choice 5th. best

16.7%
  6. Next choice

20.8%
  7. Next choice

16.7%
  8. Next choice

41.7%
  9. Next choice

29.2%
  10. Next choice

20.8%
  11. Next choice

25.0%
  12. Next choice

25.0%
  13. Next choice

25.0%
  14. Next choice

20.8%
  15. Next choice

25.0%
  16. Next choice

37.5%
  17. Next and Last choice

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BrazenPicker

BrazenPicker Senior Member

Thanks a million for doing this. I'll vote but it'll take me a day or two to digest all of them!

1 person likes this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Okay now I AM confused!

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Great idea but why did you turn it into a guessing game? This would have been a lot better if you just presented it as a straight forward comparison.

Clip 1: Sheptones Tributes
    Clip 2: Fuelie Plane Jane
    Clip 3: Stephens Designs VL2s
    etc.

Oh, you need some Wolfetones in there. :thumb:

3 people like this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

So we vote up to 17 choices in the ORDER we like them?

Say I like #3 I vote for that one first, then I like #16, I vote for that one second etc? Can the poll keep track of the ORDER I vote? I did not know that polls could keep track of the order in which I vote.

5. Davio

Davio Alchemist Extraordinaire Premium Member

Is this working yet ?

6. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

+1

and...

+1

Totally agree with both suggestions.

I went last night up to clip No. 7 with a good pair of headphones. There was only 1 set I did not particularly like, but from all the others... damn! Is it hard to tell differences amongst them, or what? Maybe a was a little sleepy... I will nee a couple more days to listen and try to decide.

Thanks once again Jamman. This is a true gem for the pickups forum. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  7. BrazenPicker

Just wondering, are the Zhangbuckers pure handwound or regular? I installed a set of the former (Woodbucker/Pagey) a while back and love them, harmonics all over the place. Ordered a set of pure handwound T-buckers this week. That said, I'm not sure I'd pick them out from these clips, it's not so much about their "voice" (frequency distribution) as the interesting harmonic content and response, and I'm not sure that comes out entirely in clips.

Had a quick listen through the clips with a good set of headphones and there's some I like more than others, but for sure it's close.

1 person likes this.
  8. BrazenPicker

We'll have that in a week anyhow, so no loss of information there. Once you tell the names the whole psychology comes into play, so I can see why he did it this way. 17 clips IS a lot of course.

By the way, I have some marketing research experience, and it's a well-known fact that people have a hard time ranking the things in the middle. People generally have an easy time telling the top things they like and dislike, but the ones in the middle tend to become a blur. So when analyzing such data rather than computing average rank, you'd rather look at number of mentions in top 1, top 3 or top 5 (and same with bottom). Usually the preference difference between first and third ranked, for instance, will be bigger and known with more confidence than the difference between nineth an eleventh ranked.

For myself I'm mainly trying to determine the ones I like and don't particularly care for, rather than worry about ranking them. Once I settle on that list, I can do the same again in the sub-list of the ones I like the best, etc.

3 people like this.
  9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

R9 , Thanks for the kind words . The original idea was to make the thread just that. a straight forward post with the names of the Widers listed. I talked with some of the Winders and really liked the idea of making it interesting . Of course, hindsight is always 20/20 . My choice, good or bad. I think it's still to be seen if I've made a good choice .

After all the confusion yesterday about the numbering , I didn't see the big problem of how the voters would enter their choices . Well, not untill 2 am this morining anyway. I still like the Idea of having the members choose which pickup they like the most .
    I agree , that doing it blind takes out the name factor that might sway the voters preference. It is a tone thing.

Because i can not fix the ~ fatal problem with the voting .What I would ask everyone to do, is to post a list in desending order, 1 is the best ,17 not so much to your liking . At the end of the week I will tally up all the responces and post them . There will be more to the thread. But that will be next week.

( I recieved a set of Wolfetone's Dr. Vintage , Yesterday . So in the near future I will be posting them . When i put this post, up on You-Tube , they will be inclued.)

Thanks for pointing that out to me . I forgot to put that in . I have added that info to the list and it should be very clear for all to see ,. To answer your question , They are both Pure Handwound .

10. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Well certainly the poll and be modified so that a person can vote for ONE, the one they like the best. Or it can be modified so a person can vote for the 3 they like the best (in no particular order).

2 people like this.
  11. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Yes, that does seem easier. Good call. It simplifies the process and brings us back to a single thread instead of two. Good call. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  12. bill m

bill m Senior Member

I thought this was just going to be a blind poll. You listen to all the clips and select the number you liked the best and thats it. One member one vote. The poll only allows for this. I thought the poll was going to just be numbered 1 through 17 and the members vote only once for their favorite set. If done this way the poll would tally.

3 people like this.
  13. 59gibson

59gibson Senior Member

jamman,

Very well done:dude: That is some comparison and after listening to all 17 clips, I think my head is about to explode.:eek:
    I say that in a good way. I made notes and now have to go back and listen to what I think were my favorites.
    This could be a long process for me. For example, by the time I heard #8 do I really remember how it compared to say #1.:shock:

Thanks for your efforts, Just alot to digest.:dude:

1 person likes this.
  14. bill m

bill m Senior Member

Rod, you beat me to it.

15. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Yep. That was also my initial understanding. :applause:

16. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

That's what I'm doing. I listened to all of them yesterday and took notes. I'm going to go back for a second listen, now that I've heard them all, and try to roughly rank them. So many good pickups, though!

I suspect, when this is all opened up with the results, I'm going to be buying some new pickups. :cool: There's a few I REALLY like.

3 people like this.
  17. bill m

bill m Senior Member

I found it easier to listen to 3 clips at a time and write down my favorite, then listen to 3 more,choosing a favorite, and so on. Then I had it narrowed down to 6 clips. This made it easier for me.

3 people like this.
  18. bill m

bill m Senior Member

I've been listening to all the clips again in more detail . Geeez, you guys make some freaking great sounding pickups. In my book every one is a winner!!!

4 people like this.
  19. BrazenPicker

It gets a bit clunky, but I wonder if in one post we could create links to three polls (each in a separate dummy thread), one where you choose your top choice, one where you choose your top 3, the other where you choose your top 5 (with no particular order). That would already say quite a bit in summary form. I'm not too sure if we'll have the sample size to get conclusive results, but at least you'd hope the patent numbers, OTPG and other "big" ones get picked more often.

What's your impression, by the way, Jamman, about how they sound to you in the room? Vast differences there? In the clips, when I listen for aliveness, dynamic range, sweetness of the treble, etc., I hear some difference, but nothing night and day. I could imagine that in the room there's some that really stick out though. If not someone's about the waste $1,500 on a set of OTPG pickups tonight. :D

20. fuelie

fuelie Senior Member

woohoo it's up. :cheers:

I have to figure out if it's something on my end or not but Photobucket isn't playing the videos at the moment.

Something needs to be put in place for voting to make it easier for members imo...