My Last PAF (CLONE) "SHOOT-OUT"

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jamman, Mar 17, 2012.

Vote for the one you like the Most. 1st is best, down to last & is not you cup of tea

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. This is the 1

29.2%
  2. Next choice 2nd best

29.2%
  3. Next choice 3rd best

16.7%
  4. Next choice 4th. best

25.0%
  5. Next choice 5th. best

16.7%
  6. Next choice

20.8%
  7. Next choice

16.7%
  8. Next choice

41.7%
  9. Next choice

29.2%
  10. Next choice

20.8%
  11. Next choice

25.0%
  12. Next choice

25.0%
  13. Next choice

25.0%
  14. Next choice

20.8%
  15. Next choice

25.0%
  16. Next choice

37.5%
  17. Next and Last choice

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Ok , Everyone. I have completed all the videos of the PAF (clone) “Shoot-Out”. I’d first like to Thank all the Winders who sent Pickups to me , to have videoed for this project . It was great to have each Winders pickups to try and to hear first-hand. It was good to have these pickups so we all can hear the different flavors of pickups being made today. Imo, it’s a great time we are in, as we have much luck to be able to choose from all these fine Winders and others for our pickups. The Winders also gave a lot of help and opinions to me as to how the direction of the thread was formed. Together, we have, what I believe, is a fine thread which will be fun and of help to those looking to hear pickups that they might be interested in buying now and in the future.

The contributing Winders are : Electric City Pickups / Bill . Skatterbranes / Rod. ReWind Electric / James . Fuelie Pickups / Kevin .
    All other pickups used in the making of the Shoot-Out are owned by me.
    A special thanks to David from Zhangbucker , for fixing and than getting the pickups back to me in time to use for the Shoot-Out .

The winders and I have agreed to have this thread as follows. This will be a BLIND voting – poll thread , to see which pickups you, the voters, like the best/most. All of us agreed that this would be the best way to truly know which pickups are liked more in a back to back competition with one another . You the voters just vote for the 1’s you like the most .

There are a total of 17 videos, which are all the different pickups that include the ones the Winders sent to me and the 1’s I personally own. Below I have posted a Picture of the Amp settings. All videos were done with the same Amp & Amp settings. The Amp was never moved and the video camera was returned to the same location everyday for shooting each segment. The backing track was replayed on the same player and the speakers were never moved though-out the whole process.
    The Amp is a Marshall JVM 210 H and the cabinet is a 1960 AX
    The guitar used is a 59 Replica (MCI) with 50’s wiring, RS SuperPots, CTS 500K tone Pots and NOS BB caps. All guitar controls were wide open for all pickups at 10.

Disclaimer: As to make it as difficult as I could, there were some pickups that I had, along with some of the Winders pickups, that had no covers . I recommended, and all the Winders agreed to use covers on those. The covers that were used were ThroBak MXV covers from the set I had and which were used on the ThroBak pickups I own .
    So to be helpful to all of you, Here is the list of Pickups that had covers put on them for this thread.
    1. Shaws / 137 & 138
    2. Zhangbucker / Pagey 2 n & Slugbucker b (both pure handwound)
    3. Fuelie / Plain Jane
    4. Rewind Electric / Creme Brulee’ Set, Medium Output PAF Set" & Zebras Set (Medium output)
    5. Early Pat. # (Gibson)

These are all the Pickups used in the making of the Shoot-Out. The list is in random order and not the order of the videos.

ThroBak (SLE-101 MXV LTD ).
    Sheptones , (Tributes).
    ReWind Electric (Creme Brulee’ (Medium Output PAF Set) & Zebras (Medium -Output).
    Early PAT. # (Gibson).
    Skatterbranes, (Twangbranes, Woodbranes, Burstbranes).
    Zhangbuckers, (Pagey2 n , Slugbucker b).(Both Pure Hand wound)
    Electric City Pickups, (RD-59’s, Fatty Arbuckers).
    OTPG.
    Fuelie (Plane Jane).
    Stephens Designs (VL2’s).
    Sheds, (PAF Daddy’s & Blues & Two’s) .
    Shaw’s, (#'s 137 & 138).

FYI - I have left open the voting for 1 week . so please vote before than .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Senior Member

so far i like 4/19 the best on your photobucket page

1 person likes this.
  3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

4 out of 19 appears to be clip 16. As the "viewing" number decreases (as you hit "previous") the number of the clip in the brower increases.

Once the poll is setup properly on this thread, to avoid confusion, you may have to close and reopen each link indiviually to ensure you are voting for the one you really want.

3 people like this.
  4. InfiniteeZ

InfiniteeZ Senior Member

I especially liked "viewing 11 of 19" from the 8 or so that I watched.
    Great tone out of those, reminded of Beano a bit

1 person likes this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Very cool. Thanks for the effort! Very tasty playing. Dirty job but someone had to do it!

I hope those makers let you keep those sets as a reward. :thumb:

I would prefer to hear some Malcolm Young type rhythm or Cream type licks and level of drive, but that is just me.

All sounded good. I rated each as I listened with marks ranging from 6.5 to 8.0. None sounded bad, just different.

Highlights for me:

with an honorable mention for #11

I will vote once the poll is fixed and I am very curious to find out which is which.

2 people like this.
  6. jiveturkey1

jiveturkey1 Senior Member

4 bridge and 8 neck. 17 was good too. (these are the facbook 3's)

1 person likes this.
  7. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I've been listening to these while working and taking notes. Wow!

BIG thanks to Jamman for all the work!

3 people like this.
  8. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Thanks everyone . I'm no computer geek . I know what the problem is and i'm fixing it now. So please hang in there with me .

Ok I have added the correct number to each video as they are listed here on the post . This sould reslove any mis- understandings of what is what. Photobucket listed the videos backwards and i need to move the 2 Picture files to get the order correct . thanks for you understanding.

I have sent a message to Alex so i can have him open the polling part of the thread . I was not aware that all the numbers would not be displayed when i made the post . If needed I will re-post the complete thread and start over again and hopefully do it right LOL!!:lol: thanks for you understanding .

5 people like this.
  9. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

I'm getting thoroughly confused, which is good, since I'm on some meds. Of all of the samples, 16.mp4 is the most consistent across all 3 switch positions, bridge, neck and combined. It has passages that give me the goosebumps, like Eureka, I have found it! Nice playing, Jam. If we could give a score to each sample, and total 'em vs. cost of the pickups, I wonder which set would win?

1 person likes this.
  10. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

To be clear video 17 of 17 is clip 1.
    16 of 17 is clip 2
    15 0f 17 is clip 3
    all the way to Video 1 of 17 is clip 17.

To be sure what clip you are listening to it will tell you in the upper right hand corner.

Does everyone agree?

2 people like this.
  11. JCarno

JCarno Senior Member

They're still backwards. Number 1 video here is #17 on facebook.

12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Hmmm, I wonder if you could do them all again with the pickguard off?

7 people like this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I do not think that will be changed, pay attention to the upper right hand corner, not the number so and so of 17 number.

14. JCarno

JCarno Senior Member

Ahhhh........Ok. Hopefully it will get fixed so as not to add any confusion.

15. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Ummmm..... :hmm:

:lol:

I went be the order they are posted in the thread.

16. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Well that is the safest, to open one at a time and the close it and then open the next one. But if you open the first one, and when it is over and hit the "previous" button, it saves time and you are on to clip 2 (that reads 16 of 17).

17. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I have been listening to all of them, over and over. I can say this, I like the neck pickups on all of them better than the bridge pickups of any of them. I am not a bridge pickup kind of guy. I hear a the widest difference in the middle position between various clips.

3 people like this.
  18. Lowdown

Lowdown Senior Member

Great stuff,Jeff :applause:

Can't wait to get home and hear these through the studio speakers!

1 person likes this.
  19. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Thanks to everyone for all your kind words and unersatanding about this mess. I'm doing the best i can . I had no idea that photobucket did this to their items.
    and there is the problem They are giving you the # of items in that album and not the # of videos (originally) but The above example is 100% correct .
    I would suggest you use the numbers below the video frame or in the upper right hand corner, or the 1 one the post . those #'s are correct and as they should be.

Thanks Rod

20. jamman

jamman Premium Member

That's not the # of the video , it's Photobuckets #

Example : when you an item in an album the first 1 is # 1 , but when you add another item your first item becomes #2 . It gets pushed up in THEIR #'ing system . I have posted them (their #'s here on MLP) and named them all the same .

I've done all I can . it's good to go and if you use the #'s i've put here on the post everything is correct .

If you use the # that I posted them with(here in this thread) or the # on the video they are. The number your looking at is not my # and put in by Photobucket . I have no way to remove it.

Thanks man , If you have headphones I'd recommed to everyone to use them . The sound will be much better with them .

1 person likes this.