My home made fret press

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by andy007, Sep 10, 2017.

1. andy007

andy007 Premium Member

I've been watching youtube videos of how guitar builders do fret work. I liked quite a few of the youtube videos from Chris at Highline Guitars. I modified a Harbor Freight arbor press as many of you have done. This works great for bolt on guitar necks but not for re-frets on set necks or neck through guitars. Especially not for Axcess style guitars.

I saw a fret press that had a screw press mounted on a beam and there was enough room to slide the actual guitar body under the beam. That gave me an idea for a fret press suspended on a horizontal beam. I removed the handle and ram from my arbor press and used those parts to build a "beam" style fret press. There is a Metal Supermarket store nearby that sells scrap metal at a reduced price. So I picked up four pieces of bar aluminum and built this prototype "beam" fret press. The only thing left to do is to build a bracket for each end to hold it up off the bench top. I used four pieces of aluminum and drilled ten holes. Oops, 12 holes. Two holes were mistakes. I'm going to test it out later this week.

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

As a guy that mainly builds neck-through guitars I say "Well done"! :)