My First Modeling Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by herbalist, Jun 2, 2017.

1. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

My girlfriend surprised me with a 20 watt Peavey VYPYR VIP 1 for my birthday. I'd been looking at them for a while, but being old school I hadn't decided whether to take the plunge or not.

I've only fooled with it for about an hour, but so far, but I'm really diggin it. This thing has a ton of features. It can be used with an electric guitar, acoustic, or bass and has 36 amp models and 24 effect models. 60 editable models in all. I haven't even scratched the surface yet in the short time I've used it.

DSC00944.JPG DSC00940.JPG DSC00937.JPG DSC00938.JPG I was surprised how loud the amp is and it has really nice sound. I'm getting some sweet tones out of it with my Les Paul Tribute. The cleans are nice and clean and the dirty is low down and dirty, with a whole bunch of different sounds/tones in between. It even has a USB port that can be run through a PC to record.

I'll give a more detailed review after I've gotten more familiar with the amp, but like I said, I'm impressed so far. I think my neighbor is too. :D

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Awesome, and welcome to the sub forum. My FIRST modeler was an older Vyper.

herbalist likes this.
  3. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

Thank you, and thanks for the welcome. I get side tracked in the LP forum and don't get around to all the others as much as I should. I didn't think to say hi in my post, so I'll do it now. Hey everybody. :cheers2:

AmpedUp and cybermgk like this.
  4. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Hi! :) Welcome its always exciting to see folks take the plunge into modeling. You should be able to coax some sweet tones from that amp. Nice grab and go size too. Congrats.

herbalist likes this.
  5. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

Thanks Steve. I've been using it the past couple hours and I really like it. My girlfriend's at her Mom's and my neighbor is gone too. I'm supposed to be mowing the lawn... but I'm not. :naughty:

AllTheSound likes this.
  6. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

I have a question for you guys/girls that have the same amp. I was using it with headphones last night and I couldn't get much volume out of it. I had it cranked up as high as it would go and I would have liked just a bit more volume. Is that a safety feature, or is there something wrong? It's possible that my headphones are going bad, they're pretty old. I don't have another set to try, or I would.

7. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Congrats, Enjoy her :applause:

herbalist likes this.
  8. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Not sure what headphones you have but if they are in the 600 ohm range they are not gonna give you the volume of headphones in the 30-100 ohm range.

herbalist likes this.
  9. journeymb

journeymb Senior Member

I've owned two Vypyr VIP 2's and a Vypyr 30. I love those Peavey modeling amps and would not hesitate to buy one again, in fact, I'm looking at the Peavey Vypyr Pro 100. Hope you like it!

herbalist likes this.
  10. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I still have my tube Vypyr... congrats and enjoy.

herbalist likes this.
  11. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

I didn't think of that Steve, thanks. I stole my girlfriends new set instead of the ones I normally use. Went back to my old set and it solved the problem. Thanks again.:thumb:

12. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

I'm liking mine more and more every day. I played with some buddies last night and they were impressed with it too.

I'm sure you don't need the push, but just in case, you better grab that Pro 100. ;)

Thanks!

13. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

Which tube model do you have?

14. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Tube 60.

[​IMG]

herbalist likes this.
  15. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

Nice! I bet it sounds sweet. Thanks for the pic. :thumb: