My First Historic Makeover

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by mrfett, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

I had to look up Daniel Lanois, (I'm a big Willie Nelson fan) ,haven't heard of Lanois' production work or playing though.
    Taking another look at the guitars that were the collective influence, I agree, yours would definitely blend right in with them.
    Congrats & enjoy the new HM GT !

mrfett likes this.
  2. mrfett

mrfett HJ Lover Premium Member

I first heard of him because he produced some of my favorite U2 records (Achtung Baby being one of my favorite records period). He even played some guitar parts on those. I first heard his own original playing probably on the Sling Blade Soundtrack and then with Emmylou Harris. Recently he's had a cool group called Black Dub and has also released some solo albums, although they are more ambient stuff. My favorite clip of him is this one though (his guitar tones owe a lot to The Edge (he usually uses an old Korg SDD-3000 delay) and Neil Young (heard in this clip)):

Thanks I am! :cheers2:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Blue Blood likes this.
  3. mrfett

lol re-watching that clip made me realize how much it got under my skin. I so love that dark gritty tone I find myself trying to capture it's essence without even realizing it. Used this sound in my last song, never thought about the Lanois influence 'till now...

4. mrfett

Took some more outdoor shots while up north, figured I might as well share them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After playing it exclusively for a couple weeks I've decided to go ahead and try new pickups and a new harness. I feel like there's too much flub, the bass is just too loose. I think it can still get the dark throaty neck solo tone i love without farting out playing chords, we'll see.

Looked at a lot of options and decided to give my business to two forum vendors, Tyson Tone for their 57-Wraptail 50s Wind set and Jonesyblues for a 50s-style harness with the Luxe Bees. Reasonable prices for quality, handmade items. I really love the harness I got from Jonesy in my 3 pickup black beauty and everyone seems to rave about Tyson's P-90s (and they don't cost an arm and a leg). I'll have a full video review when it's all installed. Decided to get the case aged by Breaze too, I'll share when it's done. :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    IGRocker, Crotch, Blue Blood and 3 others like this.
  5. Lemonburst R8

Lemonburst R8 Junior Member

Nice guitar, what I think of when I see one of these heavily aged makeovers is what activity in the normal coarse of this instuments life occured to make it look like this. I have been playing and working on guitars 40+ years and very few real old guitars are beat up as much as these makeovers. I have a bi centennial Firebird that I bought in 81 played it 25 years in smokefilled clubs and I think I put maybe a couple of marks on the guitar, the finish is stained with sweat. The guy I bought it from did more damage in the first three years of its life by chopping it for humbuckers and painting the pickguard black and all that crappy brass hardware from the 80's than I did the rest of it's life. Took a long time to find real replacement parts, Love the relic's(scuse me) prematurely aged) guitars cause they feel broke in. They really are something to behold. Lots of work to make em look real. Anyway this ones real nice Good Luck

mrfett likes this.
  6. mrfett

What I've heard from people who own real ones is that high humidity from being in places like Louisiana is to blame for really worn goldtops, living and being played in swampy areas.

JB talks about that here ~3:10:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  7. mrfett

Got the pickups from Bobby at Tyson Tone and the harness from JonesyBlues installed. Still waiting on the case but you can see the aged 57-Wraptail 50s Wind pickups at least:
    [​IMG]

I was skeptical but they're an improvement. The bass holds together much better and there's a better overall balance and more sweetness to the tone; very happy with them. The pots in the stock harness all measured between 424 and 470. I didn't notice a change (and the harness came first so I installed that separately and used it with the stock pickups for a bit), but the new one sounds great and the taper is good (I sprang for the fancy repro bees).

Here's a little tease of the new pickups if anyone's interested:

DrSte31n and bossaddict like this.
  8. Kim

Kim MLP Vendor

Your absolutely right. Ive been a collector all my life and have seen it all. Our goal at Historic Makeovers is to recreate the level of distress that our customers are looking for.
    We do many complete Deluxe packages without a scratch on them.

DrSte31n, Crotch and mrfett like this.
  9. mrfett

alright well this project has finally come to a conclusion! I thought I'd share a bit about my experience putting in pickups after the HM process is complete. Kim did an awesome job aging my stock pickups, but then I decided to change them so I purchased an aged set. Thing is... the HM guys are kinda the best at that sort of thing. If you look closely at the last picture I posted above, you'll see that it looks like the polepieces were aged using etchant, which is cool and gives a nice worn patina, but look at the earlier pics and you'll see Kim got them rusty. Here's the pickups on one of the vintage guitars I showed Kim during the process:
    [​IMG]

Since the stock pickups had the more authentic aging, I decided to swap the screws and covers, putting the stock items on the Tyson Tone P90s:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the case also arrived from Breaze and it looks great, very similar to the vintage one I showed him for inspiration:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the kind words, hope some of the info I shared inspires someone else to do something a little crazy :rock:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    bossaddict and Crotch like this.
  10. ESchmidt

ESchmidt Senior Member

Looks great, I love this whole process you have done!!!

mrfett likes this.
  11. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

How did I miss this thread??? !!

Anyway congrats !!! I like Rat-rod's too....You should call this one "The Rat-Rod - 56" ....

Kim and his boys strike again!

mrfett likes this.
  12. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

+1 on Grovers.

I DESPISE the shrunken tuner look..that is a DEFECT..it's rotting..and will F up everything in the case...why in the hell would anyone intentionally WANT that?

mrfett likes this.
  13. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Junior Member

you sir are one lucky S.O.B. to be in such a fortunate position as to be able to pull the trigger $$$ on this Makeover ... The Ultimate, what can I say ?? Perfection !!! I was given up for adoption at birth and my real parents are multi-millionaires, I am actively seeking their present location at this time ... until I track them down, oop's, I mean "find" them, I can only LUST after a Historic-Makeover ... again, you are one BLESSED soul

mrfett likes this.
  14. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker Senior Member

so nice!

mrfett likes this.
  15. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Love it, my kind of Goldop relic!:h5:

mrfett likes this.
  16. mrfett

wow thanks for the kind words guys, i am indeed blessed. i'll get a nice video review up soon, she sounds incredible through the Vibrolux Reverb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BBD, bossaddict and Sct13 like this.
  17. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Me too, how the hell did I miss this thread?

Outstanding guitar mrfett. I'm really not a Bigsby guy at all, but it's still outstanding.

But a lot of money to cover up the fact that you borked the Bigsby installation :laugh2::rofl:

mrfett and IGRocker like this.
  18. mrfett

Ha! You speak the truth!!! :headbanger:

19. BBD

BBD Senior Member

All's well that ends well :). On a side note, interested to hear what you said about the pickup swap to Tyson Tone 57-Wraptail 50s. Low output neck does it again! This is a bit of a hobby-horse of mine, but dry, oboe-y solos and unfarty cords on the neck pickup = low output neck.