My first guitar build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Freudo, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Freudo

Freudo Junior Member

Hi everybody.
    I will try to put here some pictures of the build of my first guitar, a Les Paul of course.
    A s a first try, i will try to make the body, the carved top, cavities and if everything is OK, I will try to do the neck.
    As I don't have a bandsaw, i directly routed the body with acrylic templates.

After some time, my router locks were loose (vibrations I think) and I made a hole in the body :wow: (after gluing a small block, it should be OK). It is the upper side witch will be under the maple top so:fingersx:
    Fred

Attached Files:

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Ouch.

I had a similar mishap on my first build. Not quite as deep as yours, but the repair is pretty straightforward.

You should be fine.

In the future, when routing take LOTS of shallow passes and dont use a lot of pressure.
    Takes a little longer but the result is much cleaner and you are less likely to take chunks out.

Look at Freddys video build thread. He has some nice details on climb cutting.

3. Freudo

Freudo Junior Member

Does anybody know how to repair this ?

Attached Files:

4. Kinghat

Kinghat Senior Member

sand it out with a spindle sander. You will need to do that anyway to remove tooling marks

5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

What sort of router and bits are you using here??

I'm sensing a 'too deep' pass, perhaps coupled with a thin and flexy bit.

6. Freudo

Freudo Junior Member

Thank you for your replies.
    My router is a Triton MOF 001 with a 16mm bit (). I wish I had a shorter one because, as you said, the first pass was very deep.
    Fred

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^looks like the bit cuts more depth than that......half the body blank looks like its been done in one pass.........what spindle size are the bits too?? I find that certain woods will pull 1/4" spindle bits (with large cutting diameter) into flex. You can see the ridges you create with different passes as the bit is sitting further from the base.

You will also need to tidy up your skill with the template fixing. As well as trhe tearout, there are a few too many divots where it looks like the tool is digging in. The very first pass should be very slow and controlled, and needs only to be removing maybe a mm depth of wood so the shape is very precise. Once you have that shape already cut into the wood, then the flushcut bearings can run onto wood as well as the template, or the template removed completely.

WhiteEpiLP likes this.
  8. emoney

emoney Senior Member

The hardest part of the build is patience. You're encountering what a lot of us had to learn
    the hard way; no matter how quickly you want the job done, it needs to go at it's own pace.

Take a LOT less wood off with each pass. Even though it seems like you should be able to
    just attach the template and make one pass, it simply won't work that way. As to the repair
    question, the simple solution is to just make the guitar a tiny bit smaller, which is what
    was suggested with the use of the spindle sander.

9. Freudo

Freudo Junior Member

Thank you for your replies, I will slow down for the next steps !!
    Fred

10. Freudo

Freudo Junior Member

Hi everybody,
    some news from my build which is going on, without any major issue :)
    Next step is to reduce maple top height with router on rails (I don't have a planer-joiner), make the rounded bottom edge ( I only have a 6mm radius bit, and i see 4mm is generally used for Les Paul) and start carving maple.

Attached Files:

11. Freudo

Freudo Junior Member

Hi,
    Still working on on the beast, here are some new pictures. I now have to make the binding routing jig and the body will be complete :) IMG_20170531_181449904.jpg IMG_20170531_181459184.jpg IMG_20170608_174954002.jpg IMG_20170619_183050687_BURST000_COVER.jpg IMG_20170619_193644440.jpg IMG_20170624_163939744.jpg

Roberto2001 likes this.
  12. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

Looking good freudo. Keep chugging along. Have you decided to build the neck? Go for it!

13. Freudo

Freudo Junior Member

Yes, the neck is started, pictures coming soon :)

14. Freudo

Freudo Junior Member

Well, it's been a while...some homework has been done :)
    First, the neck, with mahogany body and rosewood fingerboard. Ebony veneer on pegged. I wanted to add a "Gibson" mother of pearl writing on it but this damn ebony sheet is so weak, I don't wan't to ruin it all...
    I made a little mistake on the neck. My bit bearing (even it was new) made the neck binding melt and the bit went a bit to far it teared out some material. So i made a little rosewood piece where I will write my two (well almost, the second shall arrive in less than 3 weeks:) daughters.
    Then, I 3d printed a "cookie" to route the binding channel around the body using a suspended router. It worked like a charm, even it left a mark somewhere.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    cmh6122, Jure and smk506 like this.
  15. mangus

mangus Senior Member

Looking great!