My first build(s)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SlingBlader, Jan 9, 2017.

1. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

Thanks, Peter. Yeah I was concerned about those issues as well. As it turned out, I really had no problems at all in that regard. I was careful to not overfill the cup and I wiped the cap after every session to keep the vent hole clear. Honestly, I'm sure that my spray pattern was not always perpendicular... so that probably helped. There were no problems with feed at all.

Another thing that helped was that the guitar is not held perfectly flat. There is enough slop in the brackets that it leans just a bit.

2. SlingBlader

Finishing #2

Well, after much debate, I decided to go with blue. And more specifically, a blue burst. I also decided to dye the body black and use some medium brown pore filler on the neck.

I used Fiebings black leather dye on the back. It seemed to work pretty well.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot after the pore filler was applied and I had a sealer coat sprayed.

[​IMG]

And here is the blue burst, fresh out of the booth, so it looks a little matte from the bursting process. The center went a little darker than I wanted, but overall I'm OK with it.

[​IMG]

Here is where the trouble started. On my first clear coat over the burst, something happened with my spray gun and the cap popped off splattering nitro over the freshly sprayed top. I didn't touch it, but just left it alone. It's hard to see in these pictures but there are drops on the lower left bout. (upper right in the picture)

[​IMG]

You can see them better here. Several of the drops lifted color from the burst/color coats. UGH!

[​IMG]

I let everything dry over night and level sanded with 320. Here is a closeup of the issue. So, I had a decision to make... strip it all back or darken/widen the burst to see if it would conceal most of the damage.

[​IMG]

In the end, I decided to deepen the burst to see how it looked. There were several reasons for this. First, there were other flaws in the top of this guitar that I created early on. (if you look closely, you can see where I drilled and plugged pilot holes for a stop tailpiece) So, the guitar was not going to be perfect no matter what. I had already resigned myself to the fact that this was a learning experience and that I was not going to get bent out of shape about this.

I think it turned out reasonably well. Yeah, it's still visible, but it will always remind me to keep an eye on my gun. I'm still not sure what happened. It's almost like the vent hole got plugged and created a vacuum or back-pressure... not sure, but it was strange.

[​IMG]

Here it is with a few coats of clear. A few more coats and this one is done! :D

[​IMG]

Oh, I have to post this picture. This is #1 sitting in the back yard the other day for a little UV action. I let the dog out the back door and she completely flipped out. She crept across the yard growling and barking at the guitar. It was hilarious. After she calmed down, she appeared to be guarding the guitar. :naughty:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Gary

guitar-rocker and nuance97 like this.
  3. SlingBlader

Hey, thought I'd post some quick progress pictures. I've buffed out both guitars and polished with swirl remover. They are looking pretty shiny, but not flawless. I've learned a lot and the next ones will be better.

I had hoped to fade the cherry sunburst more, but as it turns out, the dyes that I used were more light-fast than I had planned for. There is some fading for sure, but not as much as I had wanted. No biggie, it's just brighter than I had planned. Final assembly to follow soon. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Sunburstman

Sunburstman Senior Member

Hey Gary!
    Those guitars came out awesome looking, I bet they play as good as they look!!!!!! Excellent Job!!!!!

5. SlingBlader

Thanks! I had them assembled briefly before I started the finishing process and they played pretty well. They will be needing additional nut work and fine tuning for sure, but overall I was happy at that stage.

Last night I spent a little more time going back over the guitars again and buffing some areas that I just wasn't happy with. I also used some of the Meguiar's #9 swirl remover with a foam pad mounted in a drill for the final polish. This really provided that "wet" polished look. Much better now I think. :)

6. SlingBlader

The blue one, #2, is pretty much complete. It needs a few final adjustments, etc. but it's pretty much there. I'll post better pictures later. The cherry sunburst one will be completed this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Donal, paulmarr, archey and 4 others like this.
  7. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Looking real nice, Gary!

:yesway::yesway:

8. SlingBlader

OK, here is #1 completed. Even though I wasn't able to fade the red as much as planned, I'm happy with it. I learned a lot during this process and I think my next builds will be more consistent and be completed with more efficiency.

I finished the setup on it today and it plays and sounds really nice. Well, as nice as I can make it sound, anyway. :hmm: I'll be taking some pictures with my good camera sometime in the next couple of weeks and I'll post more pics then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to everyone that has been following along, it's been a blast building these. I also want to extend my sincere gratitude to the MLP community for sharing your builds and knowledge. There is no way that I could have accomplished this without the vast wealth of information that can be found here. :cheers2:

As usual, comments are welcomed. Thanks for looking. :)

9. archey

archey Senior Member

So nice!

10. geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine Senior Member

Wow, Gary! Both guitars look stunning. Amazing work! I really love the blue one. I too would probably like it a bit lighter but I get it with it mostly covering the issue that arose from your gun. Killer guitars!

11. SlingBlader

Thanks, man! I hope to use some of that BRW that I got from you in a future build!

Thanks, I really appreciate that. Yeah the blue went a little darker than I wanted for reasons that you already know, but the depth of color is really stunning in person. You can still see the drips, but it's no big deal. In fact, I'm thinking about intentionally making some drips on some test pieces to see how a larger area of intentional drips would look. They have this 3D effect that looks like huge birds eyes... it might look bad, but I think I want to try it. LOL

archey likes this.
  12. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

don't know where this thread's been hiding, but glad i saw it. stunning first and second guitar. exceptional work. you've been paying attention in class. now, when do we get to hear them?

13. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

Really well done! Congratulations!

14. SlingBlader

Thanks, FDP, been hiding here in plain sight. :) Not sure about the demo... my guitar playing is pretty bad!

Thank you, sir. I really appreciate that! Thank you again for your informative build thread, it really helped me. :D

15. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

do like me....get someone else to play 'em. i can't play either. at least you can play a bass.....i have to settle for fishing for them. :)

SlingBlader likes this.
  16. BlackBeard

BlackBeard Junior Member

SlingBlader and fatdaddypreacher like this.
  17. SlingBlader

Thanks, man. Very nice of you. I learned so much here on MLP. I think I literally read threads and took notes for nearly 2 years before I started these builds. I've learned a lot during the process and hope the next builds will be better... or at least quicker. LOL

BlackBeard likes this.
  18. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

Seriously awesome work, you should be proud!

archey likes this.
  19. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

If only Photobucket had not destroyed my thread...

20. SlingBlader

Aw man, that sucks. You gonna try to fix it?