My first build(s)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SlingBlader, Jan 9, 2017.

1. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

Here are a few more shots from the spray booth tonight. I believe I'm up to 8 coats now. Anyone have any input on the number of clear coats over a burst? I don't want to overdo it, but I also don't want to sand through later on.

[​IMG]

Not sure if it's apparent in these pictures, but I've been mixing in some sun-aged lacquer for a nice amber effect on the binding.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, I also stamped a serial number with a kit that I bought from @pinefd in this thread.
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/fi...p-kits-may-soon-be-available-interest.391663/
    Thanks, Frank, I think it looks great! I used my birthday, which is September 13, 1966... it worked out perfectly for a '59 style number.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!
    Gary

archey, nuance97, pinefd and 2 others like this.
  2. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Hehe! Not that clowny even now. :)

My shop is just barely able to park my Honda Odyssey (Japanese model is appreciably smaller than the US model) ... but I would have to take EVERYTHING out to do that. 8' X 15' total, but the back 3 feet is a built-in table. This (and $$$) is why my power tools have to be compact. That said, my shop is HUGE compared to what most hobbyists in Japan have access to, so not complaining. ;)

Cheers!

3. SlingBlader

8' x 15" isn't bad at all considering your location, but I would really have to minimize to fit in that space!

4. SlingBlader

Hanging it out to dry...

Well, yesterday I finished up the 10th coat on #1. I'm hoping that's enough, we shall see I guess. :)

Here are a couple of shots from my iPhone. I think this is closer to the actual color than my other camera, which is an Olympus P&S. (maybe it's really a POS!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to mount the hardware and put it in the window for a few sessions to fade it down a bit. After a month or so, we'll see how I do with sanding and buffing.

Now, to finish #2!

archey, nuance97 and yamariv like this.
  5. SlingBlader

OK, sorry to be posting so much. But damn, this is exciting for me. More than a year in the making. I mocked up some hardware to help gauge the fading.

Well, it just sorta came together for me. Almost got misty eyed. LOL! The combination with the hardware looks really sweet in person and I hope it's translating with these pics. (again, these were shot with my iPhone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is still protective plastic on the pickups and that crappy pickguard will be replaced, but I'm digging it. :)

thanks for looking.

Gary

6. SlingBlader

OK, one more quick post. This is #2. It has a poplar back, Floyd and different pickups. Other than that, it's identical to #1. Gonna be tearing this one down and prepping for finish over the next couple of days... And I still need to make a trem cavity cover as well..

Anyway, I'm looking for color recommendations. This one is sorta throwing me because of the poplar back... not sure if I should do 2 different colors on the body/neck... or just shoot toned lacquer over all of it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, I'm probably going sans pickguard on this one and going with more colorfast dyes, like Transtint, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
    Gary

archey and mux164 like this.
  7. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

Oh man, these are just gorgeous! For the poplar one, maybe trans on top and solid back? That's probably what I'd do, I'm just not a fan of poplar's appearance. Actually... a limey trans green might be cool over the whole thing, it'd even out the poplar's inherent greenish cast, too.

8. SlingBlader

Thanks, Knightro. :) Ya know, you're the second person today to suggest green for this one. (I asked one of my friends for suggestions) I hadn't even considered green, but I'll have to make up some samples and see what I come up with. Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it!

9. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

I personally don't have any problem with a completely different color for neck and body ... any way you try to color match, the texture and grain will be a sure tell! That poplar looks so nice (but not traditional), it would be a shame to cover it.

If it was mine, I would go clear on the neck, dark honey trans on the body, and your choice of green or blue trans on the top. (you already have a red guitar ... JK :p)

I'm sure anything would be outstanding, seeing the quality of #1.

:cheers2:

10. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Top notch work - ban this guy he's too good for here. lol

mux164 likes this.
  11. SlingBlader

Thanks, CJ. I appreciate the input! I'll add the honey over poplar to my test list. I had envisioned a dark trans over the poplar, but now I need to see what that looks like. :)

Here's the most recent pic that I have of the back. This was a while back...

[​IMG]

Oh, and you're right about the red, LOL. It's officially hung in the window now. :fingersx:

12. SlingBlader

LOL, Thanks OB! I have to say that any of my modest successes in my very limited guitar building adventure are directly attributable to other members of this forum like yourself. The amount of knowledge that is available here for the taking is simply staggering. Of course you have to put in the time to look for it and absorb it. :)

13. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Beautiful work!

14. space_chase

space_chase Junior Member

just read through the whole thread. top notch work! really looking forward to seeing the finished product. (pun intended) :cheers2:

15. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

For the poplar one I'd suggest an ocean burst kind of color like this:
    [​IMG]

guitar-rocker likes this.
  16. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

These are gorgeous, Slingblader. The burst looks spectacular. Seriously :)

17. SlingBlader

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

18. SlingBlader

That's a gorgeous guitar! I'm still struggling with the color choice. I had some suggestions for green and I've sprayed some samples using the StewMac bright green. Looks pretty cool, but it is fairly grass green. Contemplating a green burst, but maybe too weird?

19. SlingBlader

Thank you, Chris. I really appreciate that. Sometimes you lose perspective when you're deep into the build, so it's good to hear some feedback. :)

20. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Looks great. I'm intrigued by the concept of spraying flat but with a gravity feed gun how did you keep the lacquer feeding into the gun and also from either spilling out or at the very least plugging the air hole? Thanks.

Cheers Peter.