My first "band encounter", I'm shocked, help.

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Milchy, Sep 17, 2017.

1. RangerJay

RangerJay Glam Bastard Premium Member

If you're playing in too tight a space, it just turns to mush. If you have room, and not so many reflections bombarding you, then move around until you find a sweet spot where you can you can hear yourself AND the other players.

I've done many garage jams, and one thing that works well is to open the garage door. Neighbors and cops hate that approach, so YMMV. Works for me.

2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I’m in a cul de sac, but my neighbors are pretty cool, during banking hours. We don’t play too loud at night.

Rhust and northernguitarguy like this.
  3. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Not quite that literal...but drummer included....you won't stay in my band long if you can't control yourself! :wave:

Rhust and Marshall & Moonshine like this.
  4. Milchy

Milchy Junior Member

Hi, guys I've updated the first post with the amp i used, its not very big but its something, there was a marshall bellow it, but i couldnt find the cable so not sure if it would have been a better choice.

5. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Ya. That's a first generation SS amp. Not their best effort.

6. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I haven't read every post, you may need a new amp but regardless you though the band was way too loud and you couldn't hear every part being played. If you get a louder amp and simply crank it you're adding to the problem. A lot of amatuer players & bands play way too loud and it tends to mask mistakes.
    The drummer can set the relative volume and every one else can set their's so that no one drowns anyone else out.

7. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

this is a great thread! As far as the amp goes - I feel like having something with more power really allows you to "cut" even without cranking it. For example - I will play along with songs at home with what I consider just under full band volume (my wife hates this, but that's life!) For example, my volume is around 2 and I usually play at around 2.5-3 with the band. When I'm running a lower wattage amp, I feel like I have to crank it more to be heard, but when I run my DSL40 (in full 40 watt mode) things get much clearer and the "cut" is there. I think THAT is why so many are obsessed with 100 watt amps, those must CUT for days..

Another example of this is even when I play my DSL40 in the 20 watt mode at what I consider conversation volume, my wife says she can still hear it upstairs! But when I play my OR15 in 7 watt mode at the same or louder volume to my ears, she can't hear anything! Its very odd to me how that wattage makes this difference in frequencies, but I really think it does, maybe somebody can tell me I'm nuts..

8. Marshall & Moonshine

You’re not nuts. Higher wattage amps allow more pick attack transients to come through at higher volume, that may otherwise be compressed out with lower powered amps. Sometimes that’s good, sometimes that’s bad.
    Better to have and not need, right? As long as you can control the volume and get a good sound.
    My 2204 would be a real bitch to use (on the high input) in a coffee shop or something.

frankv, LPV, Rhust and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Yeah I REALLY want a 2204 but I just think it might be too much (especially since I'm not the main lead player in my band!) HA!

Although I did convince the lead player to turn down at our last rehearsal, what a difference that made in the entire mix.

mmd likes this.
  10. Marshall & Moonshine

There’s a few 6V6 versions around, that clock in around 20w or so. It’s a lot less headroom, which would be handy for me.

11. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

want to be heard? play a wrong note... everybody will hear that shit :D

12. Marshall & Moonshine

Ain’t that God’s honest truth!!
    :laugh2:

LPV and Rhust like this.
  13. LPV

LPV Senior Member

And if you do play a wrong note make sure to play it twice so they think it's on purpose. Pretty sure that's the theory behind jazz :)

14. Marshall & Moonshine

Oh yeah, baby!!! I let those 34’s scream it for days like a Santana note.

LPV likes this.
  15. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

Before buying a new louder amp, try re-positioning yours so you can better hear yourself, possibly move where you stand in the mix, raise the amp or tilt it. I realize with a live band the drummer really controls the volume, might be tough as the new guy telling everyone else to turn down, but isn't it a rehearsal not a concert?

I auditioned for a band last year that rehearsed in a very small room, and the other guitar player had his HRDeluxe on a shelf pointing right at my head... they were so friggin loud, I couldn't escape it. And.. they were like turn it up!? Funny thing is they were not kids either? Needless to say when they called me back I told them my ears were still ringing from the audition. With my current band I now rehearse over the internet via Jamkazam from my home studio, as they are located over an hour away. when I have rehearsed in person with them we practice at extreme low volumes and spend most of our time on vocal harmonies, and cues. My previous band we had the drums in a separate room, and monitored each other with headphones. Don't get me wrong I like to play loud, but there is a line between entertaining yourself and preparing to perform as a band.

yamariv and Marshall & Moonshine like this.
  16. Marshall & Moonshine

It’s not even entertaining me if it’s painful and stupid.

yamariv likes this.
  17. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Tips I have learned:

Don't go full throttle with the gain. A cleaner amp will sound louder than a dirty amp.

If the other guitarist has a humbucker guitar, I'll use a guitar with P90s. Or if he has a single coil guitar, I'll use something with humbuckers.

Find something that you can add to the song. I have noticed my playing improved so much when I just played what the song needed and didn't try to be a guitar god.

yamariv and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

There's a lot of wisdom in this post. I remember reading an interview with a Nashville sessioneer who relayed the best advice he got from an engineer: "Don't fight traffic, son." Find the unoccupied freq, and make your home there.

If you're up alongside another guitarist, go counter to what he has equipment-wise, you'll sound different and that can be your cut in the mix. I've done this myself often enough on demos while layering guitars, and in two-guitar bands, to know the truth of it. Or risk getting stuck in the mud.

And most important, your last paragraph -- don't try to be King Shit of Turd Mountain ... just let the song play you. You can get your wheedly-wheedlies out another day.

19. GySgtFTL

GySgtFTL Senior Member

Amp aside, I would invest in a good pair of earplugs.

20. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Hell, I use 'em playing in my living room. Country living for the win!