My first "band encounter", I'm shocked, help.

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Milchy, Sep 17, 2017.

1. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Back in the day,one of the things we used to do was to practice with just two....me and the drummer,me and the bass player and vice versa. We were able to find our sonic space with the two of us and then add in one or the other. It worked quite well....until the singer showed up:laugh2:

2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Right?
    I mean, musical style, band dynamics and player technique will all play parts in the equation, but he didn't really say anything about that.
    I'm not hassling him or anything, but I need more information before I'll let that statement go by as truth, because lots of people have those "Which amp should I get?" threads, where the other guy has a stack, but he doesn't feel like carrying much more than a 1x10/12 combo....
    OP--"Will it keep up?"
    MLP--"Sure!!! I do it all the time!"

Not on my watch.
    :)

mmd and bulletproof like this.
  3. Marshall & Moonshine

Yeah, but singers are always late, so that should give plenty of time.
    "Well, I thought I'd give you guys time to set up your stuff. All I need is a microphone...... By the way.... Did you set up my microphone??"
    :mad:

4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Some people figure out how to make it work, how to hear themselves. Other never do.

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I started out in my first band with a solid state Crate, then a solid state Marshall. Then I wanted to hear myself and wanted to be heard. I got a JCM800 2205 with a 212 cabinet. No one ever had trouble hearing me again. I don't know how the other guitar player could stand it.

I eventually bailed on that band.

When I became the sole guitar player in my own band, I bought my JMP 2204. It sounded better and I could ease back on the wall of volume. Truth is, I still played very loud but I left more space in the music so it wasn't a full on assault anymore. And I still used a pedal to cut through the mix.

I do like jamming with other players now, but only if they understand the give and take nature needed for more than one guitar.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Marshall & Moonshine and Rhust like this.
  6. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

it was a great amp... not so much great later when I was just a home-player though... 1 was mute, 2 was barely heard, and 3 was shaking the walls... the amp opened up around 5-6... at low volume, you had too much bass, even with the treble on 10, and the bass on 1-2

7. Marshall & Moonshine

An 800 goes from Zero to Destroy between 1 and 1.3 on the MV.
    I feel ya.

Cjsinla and Rhust like this.
  8. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Interesting thread. If you ever play in a band with a Hammond feeding a Leslie or two along with a 4-piece horn section, you get educated real quick on finding the right volume for your guitar. The trick is to find it, plant it, and leave it where it sounds good to EVERYBODY ELSE you're playing with, regardless of where you're playing (practice room, club, outdoors, etc.). Myself, I only go above the drum toms if they're being miked. For rock material, maybe a little higher.

9. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

FIFY

northernguitarguy and Rhust like this.
  10. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

As someone who claims to be a singer, let me be the first to say how gross a pawnshop mic must be.

11. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

On one hand I agree with this, sort of....yes the first couple of times you go through something new it's all about the arrangement and timing and groove. But once that's down, then I say it's crucial to rehearse as a band at full out band volume....this is where you figure out how to mix yourselves, how to sound like a band.

Rhust and northernguitarguy like this.
  12. Marshall & Moonshine

There’s no quick secret how to do it, for a bunch of guys who’ve never played together, or in a band at all.
    Guys who are old hands can probably sit right in and jam with different equipment (not so much with metal, which isn’t usually “jam oriented”), but if you’ve never learned band dynamics, you learn fast that it’s not something you’re born knowing. Someone listening for you that you trust is a big help. It’s like anything else that requires practice and learning: You have to practice and learn it.
    We can give advice for what works for us, like amp placement, plexiglass baffles, mic placement, general mixing concepts, but some stuff needs to be figured out for one’s self, as part of the growing process.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

That's exactly how I started out as a kid. I played with just a drummer...just the two of us and I locked in....not just volume but also the tone needed to cut through and the amount of drive needed from preamp for distortion and from output tubes for weight as well. I started out with a Marshall as my first amp so it just sounded great. I didn't even really realize how easy it was to sound good with a drummer until one day I had to use my younger brother's peavey bandit. It was just so bizzare...it felt flat and 1 dimensional, buzzy and farty at the same time....just gross.

mdubya and Marshall & Moonshine like this.
  14. Marshall & Moonshine

Heh heh heh....
    You don’t say....

15. LPPILOT

LPPILOT Senior Member

Im an old dude ....really old....when i show up to play with a new group of guys .

im not shy ......im going to war.....they better be loaded for bear ...cause i sure am.

im bringing in my Marshall SLP and the extra TaLL cabinet to go with this bitch n loud ass amp.

When. hand truck my shit in , pull out the firebird ....

Sissy s need to stay the f*** home .

Bedroom dudes ....you ARE not going to have a giant PA to make up for you teenie tiny little one speaker 10 watt amps everywhere you go......this stupid trend of tiny amps kills me. You need to get out and jam with other folks as often as possible . Get a big amp and go meet people and jam. SIZE matters .....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Rhust, judson, Rocco Crocco and 3 others like this.
  16. Marshall & Moonshine

Oooohhhh.
    I like this guy.

E1WOOD5150 likes this.
  17. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

THIS!!!
    As long as I'm able to drive a truck and move a 4 x 12 I ain't playing on stage with any 10" speaker combo
    on a folding chair. And save the "But I run it through the P.A." crap. So do I. Next.

E1WOOD5150 likes this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

He goes by "Mr. Popular." ;)

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

But it's true, if you want to run with the big dogs, you better learn to bark like a big dog.

Or be so good everyone turns down so they can hear you play.

Marshall & Moonshine and mmd like this.
  20. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Not really... nobody is going to lower the bar to hear you.
    I did an open mic recently where I was asked to play with this other guy. This other guy was a great player....but a bedroom player. So while he took his solo with his little bedroom amp I could hear he was doing some great riffs....but it was this tiny buzzy sound. I stepped up and did my thing, which was a much simpler vibe....but, I had the conviction and glory of a great sounding (and appropriately loud) rig behind me.

northernguitarguy, yeti, tzd and 2 others like this.