My Final Decisions but still needs opinion

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by noobyXD, Aug 30, 2017.

Best Vintage Pickup for Les Paul

1. Seymour Duncan Seth Lover

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Gibson '59 tribute pickups

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gibson BurstBucker 1/2

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

So... After much reading up on the internet and decision making, I've decided to settle for the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover set.

My other choices were:

1) BurstBucker 1/2 set
    2) '59 Tribute Humbucker (Gibson)

I've also seen Greenie on Seymour Custom Shop site which cost at least USD 300 soooo that's way out of my budget.

Anyways, my opinion i wanna seek are relating to tone in general. As I really love Gary Moore's thick and creamy tone and want to emulate that (not copying it 100%), you guys reckon Seth Lover set is the way to go?

Considering that his guitars are 1959 Gibson Les Paul and R8/R9 reissues in later years while his signature pickup are BB 1/2 for the 1st line and BB Pro on the later models.

2. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

ReWind isn't on the list, so I couldn't click a button.

;)

Are these the only ones you are still interested in? What is your budget?

I say... try them all..... buy used as much as possible. you won't take a beating if you flip them. Even if you lose money selling, isn't it worth a few dollars to be able to take it all for a test-drive?

cooljuk likes this.
  3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Gary's creamy tone is much more in the Marshall pedal sitting in front of a Marshall amp. Its the lively and open nature of the pickups that keep it from getting dull, as his tone is more 80's shred rather than pure blues.

mdubya and cooljuk like this.
  4. Warlag

Warlag Junior Member

I'd go with the seths orseymour Duncan 59s... I'm debateing between which of the 2 for my les Paul too. I'm leaning towards the seths though!

Zoobiedood likes this.
  5. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

If your guitar is bright acoustically go for the Seths, if it's warmer sounding go for the 59
    Either way, it will sound good

6. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

My budget is anything that's not outrageously expensive lololol

But used market here in Singapore aren't rly there for pickups eh...

Yea my les paul is bright and loud acoustically so dats why I'm leaning towards the seth

The tone I'm leaning towards was the montreux 2010 tone... Not necessarily the blues tone but it's a tone that pierces you in every right way... Espically those whailing notes from Parisienne Walkways

7. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

The Seths are the way to go, I think. Unless you have a particularly mid-heavy LP, then go for something more open, like a 59 or Antiquity.

8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Yep, that the 'shred' tone.......more like a saturated modded Marshall than a clear open vintage Marshall. And yes, thats the amp doing a lot of heavy lifting. I'd go the Seths to keep clarity.

9. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Heya noobyxd - After my previous comments about your pickup choices I went & listened to the Gary Moore Montreaux 2010 - on reflection if that is the sound I would look at something with A4 magnets - ecp RD59 - James at rewind - ox4s or contact Matt at Montys guitars who I believe may have had a hands on with greenie & cloned the pickups

10. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

From info I've found online, the guitars he was using at that time had BurstBucker 1 and 2 in them which are low output alnico 2 pickups which are similar to the seth lover

11. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Awesome-whip some seths lovers in there I'm sure you'll be happy

noobyXD likes this.
  12. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

I have some Seth Lovers and I have the Greenie set. I like them both, but I wasn't chasing Moore or Green's tone.

honestly, Moore had a 59 Les Paul. find yourself a good replica of a 59 set, which does NOT mean the mass-produced "59" options from either coasts (IMHO). start with some of the winders you will find here. if it comes to pricing, just save up a little longer.

if pricing is still an issue, the Mojotone 59 Clone set is less than the Seth set

13. Vash854

Vash854 Junior Member

I think in 2010 Gary might have been using the Bareknuckle PG Blues pickups in some of his guitars, you can definitely see the flipped neck pickup on some guitars in the live videos from 2010 concerts.

14. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

I wanted something that is thick, creamy and smooth sound those P.A.F gets when you drive it at high gain. Gary Moore tone is that tone that I wish to have but mere mortals like myself can't get anywhere near him LOL. Whenever I played something like a hot pickup or an Alnico 5 pickups, they somehow dosen't give me a rumbly or not as much as an alnico 2 pickup in low gain mode.

Pricing is not really an issue here (beside greenie because that is really too expensive for my liking). What other replica 59 sets are there though?

From my knowledge, I've read up that Gary prefer using only stock humbuckers whenever he could... Can't really remember when he used a PG Blues though

15. Vash854

Vash854 Junior Member

You can see the flipped neck pickup in this video

I only assume they are the PG blues set because the winder Tim Mills said gary ordered 2 sets in 2010 when Gibson made some Peter Green Les Paul replicas or something like that.

You don't really need those particular pickups really, I'd say just somewhat hot PAF style pickups that have really warm sustain and some roundness, into a compressed or preamp pushed amp will get you to that sound probably. The Seth Lover set will probably work. I doubt Gary ever used the BB 1/2 or the BB pro pickups, the BB 1/2 are very tinny sounding (in my opinion) and the BB pro are way too bright for that sound.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  16. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

Seths will give you this creamy gain...because of their mids, imho. But i find the cleans somewhat cluttered,because of this...full and fat sounding. Great, great overdrive with seths tho.

noobyXD likes this.
  17. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

From my knowledge and some reading up, the guitar he used in that video was Collector Choice #1 made by Gibson. It was wired with BB 1/2 and in reverse phase in the middle position according to Gibson.

His signature models are all BB pro in the later runs while it was BB 1/1 or BB 1/2 (can't find any definitive answers) in the earlier models. I've read up somewhere he used the PG Blues for Peter Green numbers (I rmb he did some Peter Green songs live using ES-335 but unsure if they are stock or PG pickups)

18. Vash854

Vash854 Junior Member

Yea that's the guitar, according to the maker of Bare knuckle pickups who made 2 sets for him, he did use them for all the PG songs.

I've played all the different BB pickups through various amps in music stores. From my personal experience with them, they just don't sound right to me, either too thin or too bright, the bass is too soft and slightly mushy with the BB 1/2 and they lack character, no honk, no bark, I wouldn't think Gary kept em in there.

But it's all somewhat subjective, some people love them, I don't want to discourage you from something based on my opinions. The best advice I can give you is to find a music store where you can try out guitars with those pickups in them to get an idea for what they sound like through amps you like and the settings you use.

noobyXD likes this.
  19. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

http://store.gibson.com/burstbucker-type-1-pickup/

$23.01 more than a factory stock pickup is "outrageously expensive" to you? Ouch.

20. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Well to be fair, sweetwater sells them for 150 each not 180. And a set of used ones off reverb can be hqd for the price of 1 of your pickups.
    Now dont get me wrong I'm not saying your pickups aren't worth what you ask for them. In fact they are probably under priced compared to some of the other custom winders out there. But gibson list prices aren't real world prices. And to many people $100 saved is the difference between doing it or not.
    Again I'm not saying you should sell your pickups for $100 a piece, i know it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to make them for that price.

noobyXD likes this.