My Fender story. Tech guy gone Bad.

Discussion in 'Fender' started by fett, Mar 30, 2017.

1. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I bought a POS guitar at a flea market. The paint was stripped. There were no markings that I could see. In other words, I didn't know what I bought. It was $50. I got it home and took it apart. The heal on the neck had a pencil number. 1-58. The neck plate had a number. I did my research and it was a 1958 Musicmaster. :applause: It needed lots of help to even come close to being worth any thing. When I lived in Marin County, I had a neighbor, 2 houses up, who was a PRO Tech that worked out of his garage. He was famous in the area. He did it all. Even paint. I asked him to paint the body with any color left over. I wasn't in any hurry. Months passed and no paint. I asked for my body. He returned it. I made a gigantic mistake. The body had the 2 1958 Pots. He stole them for whatever reason. I called him out on that. Talk about lame excuses. I had a POS 1958 sans pots. What to do? Sell the parts on ebay. I got around $450. The Moral? When you take any item to be repaired, make sure you take just what needs to be repaired.

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Make the Switch for the Better! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Woah! That's low!

I guess take photos inside and out and a photo of him taking the guitar is the new norm! Wow, where went the trust and common decency?

:wow::wow::wow:

3. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

I heard stories where amp techs will steal all the vintage parts out of old amps, and replace with imported junk parts...:shock:

4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

This sort of sh!t is why I do my own repairs.

5. DarrellV

DarrellV Make the Switch for the Better! Silver Supporter Premium Member

+1 :thumb:

That and the obvious saving of time and money oh, and frustration.... :shock:

I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's the only way I have found to get it done the RIGHT way, and the way I want it. :thumb: