My Fender story. Tech guy gone Bad.

Discussion in 'Fender' started by fett, Mar 30, 2017.

1. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I bought a POS guitar at a flea market. The paint was stripped. There were no markings that I could see. In other words, I didn't know what I bought. It was $50. I got it home and took it apart. The heal on the neck had a pencil number. 1-58. The neck plate had a number. I did my research and it was a 1958 Musicmaster. :applause: It needed lots of help to even come close to being worth any thing. When I lived in Marin County, I had a neighbor, 2 houses up, who was a PRO Tech that worked out of his garage. He was famous in the area. He did it all. Even paint. I asked him to paint the body with any color left over. I wasn't in any hurry. Months passed and no paint. I asked for my body. He returned it. I made a gigantic mistake. The body had the 2 1958 Pots. He stole them for whatever reason. I called him out on that. Talk about lame excuses. I had a POS 1958 sans pots. What to do? Sell the parts on ebay. I got around $450. The Moral? When you take any item to be repaired, make sure you take just what needs to be repaired.

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Woah! That's low!

I guess take photos inside and out and a photo of him taking the guitar is the new norm! Wow, where went the trust and common decency?

:wow::wow::wow:

3. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

I heard stories where amp techs will steal all the vintage parts out of old amps, and replace with imported junk parts...:shock:

4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

This sort of sh!t is why I do my own repairs.

5. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

+1 :thumb:

That and the obvious saving of time and money oh, and frustration.... :shock:

I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's the only way I have found to get it done the RIGHT way, and the way I want it. :thumb: