My amp has two inputs (high/low)

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by PraXis, Mar 26, 2008.

1. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

Any idea what the difference is between these?

I sometimes practice with my keyboard through the return jack (since the keyboard line out is a preamp) but i unplug the guitar then.. sometimes I just want both hooked up so I can switch.

For gigs, it's guitar to amp only since the keyboard goes to the PA, but it's annoying to switch cables when practicing.

2. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Whats up man! I know that on my Gibson GA5, I also have a high and lo input. The high input jack really is just the regular direct jack that is considered optimal for single coils and low gain pickups, or plug in an axe with humbuckers and drive the amp to the max. The lo input on mine has an attenuated type of buffer pad in the jack which eases some of the drive from higher powered humbuckers. With my amp where its 5 watts class A, I don't get a whole bunch of clean headroom, but it certainly helps in the low input jack. I suck at explaining things but hopefully that helps.

3. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Lo input doesn't drive the preamp as much as the high. High is what I use all the time on my 800 but the low sounds killer too. Cleaner, no grit at all with the preamp dimed, but nice smooth breakup at excessive volumes.

Most amps won't let you run both high and low at the same time, even using an A/B box. Plugging into one shuts off the other.

Even if you did, the difference in volume between hi and lo would be drastic and not overly useful.

4. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

a JCM800 adds a 4th triode (according to the Guitar Amp Handbook) to the High channel, for a boost to gain. You'd have to check on your amp to see if it's the same configuration.

5. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

On my Laney GH50L head, I'd always plugged in to the High input without even thinking much about it. It sounded fine when I was using overdrive, but cracked up some while playing clean. I've since switched to the Low input, and am much happier with my sound.

6. Samantha

Samantha MLP Cub Reporter V.I.P. Member

normally the difference between the inputs are about 8Db. one is louder than the other ill let you figure out which one is which :D

my amp has six inputs imagine how i feel.

7. mrkenny

mrkenny Senior Member

Having two inputs on your amp is cool, and lady friends as well. :shock: