My 68 SG bridge pup needs new mags...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Curious George, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Curious George

Curious George Senior Member

Orig pat stick and all orig solder joints. i need to replace or recharge the weak original mags on the bridge pup (neck is fine).

Looking specifically for someone who has done this with a vintage SG given the distinct sound of an sg vs say a les Paul...and based upon your experience, what would you recommend???

Thanks!!

2. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

3. Curious George

Really have to get more MLPrs into SGs lol...

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

These are notorious for having a thin bridge and boomy neck..is that what you're experiencing, or is the bridge just anemically weak..like broken sounding?

5. Curious George

Hey Kris... Sounds anemic weak...like you turned the volume down on the amp.

Neck sounds great btw lol.

Have heard this before with these. From what I've read so far... some recharge and some replace. I might replace and keep originals to charge... but no idea what to replace with.

Don't want to unsolder from pots (orig solder joints) so hopefully enough lead to pull them out and work on. Covers never been off...

6. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

George,
    I second Brewdude's suggestion about Rewind Electric. He's member Cooljuk here on MLP. I know Kris said it's common, and he is very SG savy but could it be a drifting cap or a bad pot. The pot is easy to check, but you won't get a reading on a cap while it's soldered.
    Either way the magnets are cheap and well worth it for a vintage SG. I had a '68 Special (p90s) and I still regret selling it.

7. Curious George

Thanks 61... will reach out!