my 2018 Classic

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by brewsnale, Nov 28, 2017.

1. brewsnale

brewsnale Junior Member

SHE'S HERE!
    Figured i'd share this with the collective since this was my reason for joing up in the first place. even fro. My limited experience shes the best playing guitar ive ever played.
    Toying with the idea of switching the pokerchip and pickguard to cream (m[​IMG] ayby PU covers as well) but not completely certain. Had Sweetwater install a bone nut.
    Would appreciate tips for best polish, care tips etc.
    And any thoughts on the best amp to compliment P90s would be greatfully recieved.

bungle, Mr Insane and Have FUN like this.
  2. bum

bum Senior Member

That's beautiful, nice one brother!!!!

As for tips and cleaning, I wipe mine down with a cloth after a gig apart from that I am useless, sorry :laugh2:

brewsnale likes this.
  3. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

I' m an SG addict but your ebony Les Paul Classic is lovely, with top hat knobs and a 5 ply pickguard you Les Paul should be perfect IMHO.

Congrats !

brewsnale likes this.
  4. jb_abides

jb_abides Senior Member

This!

Wow, Sweetwater does customizations on new guitars...? I didn't know that.

How's the weight? [I see most coming in a 10 lbs, as 2018 Classics are non-weight relieved]

Congrats from a fellow lefty. Contemplating one, Pelham Blue or Ebony. May need both ;)

5. brewsnale

brewsnale Junior Member

If i did it corrrctly, it weighs in at almost 11 lbs. sweetwater techs can do most anything you want done. swapping out the plastics was one thing they could have done had i wanted it.
    Pelham blue and the gold were really calling me but an ebony LP has been my bucket list guitar since the mid 70s. . . Next one will be a custom shop sunburst;)

6. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  7. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

P90’s work great with almost any amp, most of my experience is with Marshall, Vox and Fender. Are you planning to play at home or at gigs? Amps are a matter of taste. My advice is to take your Classic to a store and plug in to as many amps as you can. But if you’re anything like us MLP’ers you will end up with several amps over time. I probably have 8 or 9 now. Different amps for different situations or guitars. Not to sound like an ass but if your technique is good enough you can sound good with almost any amp. Who do you want to sound like?

brewsnale likes this.
  8. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

BTW, black guitars are impossible to keep clean, just play it and let the relicing begin. Happy NGD.

9. brewsnale

brewsnale Junior Member

Be careful what you wish for. . . Boy does black show all the smudges.
    This is purely for my own enjoyment as i reaquaint myself with Mickey Baker.
    Looking for those clear bell like tones i remember from earlier generations. So im kind of thinking about the roland JC series or maybe fender. dont trust Vox anymore but an ac30 was on my short list but im hung up on asian production and printed circuit boards. Just got to educate myself and try out as many as i can.

10. bum

bum Senior Member

The only way to keep a black Les Paul clean is to not do and don't worry about it

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

BWOTW likes this.
  11. brewsnale

brewsnale Junior Member

Wow. No words! :wow::thumb: Diging the stickers.

12. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

For Fender check out the Deluxe Reverb or Princeton reissues. Bell tones at living room volume and grinds when you turn them up.

brewsnale and afjungemann like this.
  13. brewsnale

brewsnale Junior Member

Any thoughts about the bassbreaker 45 in relation to the drri or prri?

14. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

On my ebony SG I use Virtuso polish with a soft cloth, the black nitro finish stay dark.

I live black guitars :jam:

15. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I was joking, sort of. What I really meant to say is that black guitars show all the fingerprints so don’t worry about it.

16. srmd22

srmd22 Senior Member

Had one of these for a few days - one of the nicest playing and sounding guitars I have ever played, period. But I returned it because it was too heavy for me, at close to 10lbs. A few years back I wouldn't have cared, but nowadays, I ain't gonna stand around at a 3 hour gig with anything too much past 8.5, definitely 9 is the limit. I have an LP custom that is around 9.5, and it is one of my favorite sounding guitars, LP or not, but I hardly ever play it anymore. I was miffed about the 2018 LP classic though, because it was truly a great guitar - gibson at it's best, from any era.

Those will all sound GREAT with gibson P90's. Any amp that sounds good, will sound good with that guitar. (Marshall, cough).

17. brewsnale

brewsnale Junior Member

Cant believe the weight. that was, however, one of the sellig points for me.
    Also, just saw Tommy Tedesco playing an ebony with white plastic. looked (to me anyway) identical to the '18 classics. would love to know what year/model that was.