My 1994 Orville Les Paul Standard "Melanie" - Pics Included

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by JazzyLester, Mar 6, 2018.

1. JazzyLester

JazzyLester Member

Hello guys,

Here are some pictures of my Orville Les Paul Standard. I call her "Melanie".

She is a Fujigen model from 1994 I believe. Does anyone know what the exact model this guitar actually is? Also, would you say this is Tobacco Sunburst or Vintage Sunburst? Or is the name pretty much interchangeable/the same thing? She has a big long neck tenon also.

I have done alot of modifications to this guitar. To name a few, it has Bare Knuckle "The Mule" calibrated humbucker set. Plus 550k CTS pots. Russian PIO caps. Switchcraft switch and jack. All braided wire etc. I also put nice US type gold knobs on it because there were big gold speedknobs on it originally and I thought they looked silly. I had to change them anyways as of course the spines are different on US pots.

Any advice or comments, good or bad, welcome. Is there anything else I should do? I was thinking of swapping the bridge and stopbar to something else. Like Gotoh. I'm not sure what people think of these ones that come standard on Orvilles? Anyone give input? I also considered changing tuners. I dunno if it's worth it though.

Here are some photographs of her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    bungle, noobyXD, bluesriffdev and 6 others like this.
  2. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

Those are some tasty mods! I personally think BKP Mules are superb pickups... by far the best I've ever played. I'm guessing your Orville sounds really good! The only other thing I would do is put pointers under the knobs. Nice guitar!

3. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

It's a LPS-75 VS. The vintage sunbursts have 3 colours , black yellow & red whereas the tobacco sunbursts are just black and yellow. The 75 in the name refers to the list price i.e. 75,000 yen.

Gotoh hardware is a direct replacement but if it's not needed I wouldn't bother, alot of the older MIJ's I've had I needed to replace the bridges as they sometimes collapse cos they were just made from cheap metal. I've always liked the fujigen made guitars, yet to have a duff one

Here's the catalogues

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/orville/1992/en_05.html

GammyBird likes this.
  4. JazzyLester

JazzyLester Member

Thank you very much. I guess pointers would be an idea. The pots I put in were short shaft.. I'm not sure how much room there is left on the spline. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if that even applies/matters for pointer.. I'd have to take another look as to be totally honest, I forget, haha.

I like the pickups also. They are very good and she does indeed sound great.. however, I would like to hear her in the hands of somebody who has talent for a change instead of myself, haha.

Wow.. thanks for the post and indeed the catalogue. I never saw that before and it's really helpful.

Now I know what the exact model is! I was always puzzled by the Vintage Sunburst vs Tobacco Sunburst thing. No matter who I asked I always got conflicting answers. Some would say black to yellow is VS others would say brown to yellow was TS. Then others would say that but the opposite way!

In my guitar.. I only see black fading to yellow/gold? I don't really see any brown? I think how the black fades may look like brown? Is that right? Anyways, the Orville catalogue seemed to call it a LPS-75 Vintage Sunburst so that's good enough for me. :)

The bridge on mine seems fine really. It certainly isn't falling apart as yet. I dunno if it would make any improvement to change it but you know how we are.. always changing things even if they aren't broken.. we still fix them!

Thanks!

5. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

The way I've always looked at the vintage sunbursts is it's as if they've sprayed a black rim around a clownburst. They only used black red and yellow and the mixing of the colours gives the browns etc. I thought I could see an inner rim of red in your photo but bursts are always hard to photo well cos the flash etc messes with the colours. It may well be a tobacco burst as not all guitars were featured in the catalogues and I'm pretty sure TS was a colour option on the Orville by Gibsons. TS doesn't seem to have been an option for the Epiphone LPS-80's but doesn't mean there weren't any TS LPS-75's I guess. From the catalogues I've got, the TS was for the juniors and specials

Here's my VS Burny and the photo shows up the 3 colours but in real life it's a lot more subtle and the colours blend in much more smoothy. I've also added the colour options available for the Fujigen Orville/MIJ Epiphone range.

IMG_20141010_113306_zpsd26c49c3.jpg IMG_20180306_151633.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    GammyBird likes this.
  6. JazzyLester

JazzyLester Member

Thanks again for the post!

That is a very nice Burny. What year is that one? It seems to be plain maple also, something like my Orville? Sometimes I prefer a plain top. I have flame top Les Pauls also. US ones though. But I always like the look of a nice plain top. I think it especially looks good in darker bursts for some reason. Maybe because of a nod back to Les Paul Juniors etc. I dunno. I know I chose this particular Orville over flame top ones and ObG. The way I looked at it I was swapping the pickups out anyways.. so I didn't really care if it was Orville or ObG. Some people don't seem to understand they're essentially the same thing minus pickups and finish. I've had idiots say.. "Yeah, but all Orvilles are the Korean ones. Orvilles are Korean made low quality. You have to get an Orville by Gibson if you want a Japanese one" :rolleyes: I also chose it over perfect finish ones. It has a couple of little chips in the lacquer. I like the fact it's kinda pre-worn to be honest. Maybe me less obsessive over it. If it gets another chip or ding of my doing.. it's no biggie as it already has some. May seem silly to some but that's how I think.

It sure always confused me. The colour thing. Like, even in that Epiphone booklet.. those two look pretty similar to me! I don't see a difference to the extent where I could say each one is each for certain. Maybe I just don't have a good eye for colour! I like your description though.. about the cherryburst with black sprayed over it. That actually makes good sense to me. I'm sitting here looking at a similar painted 335 I have and now that you say it.. that's how it looks. Like a cherryburst that has been sprayed over black. It's similar but theres a hint of maroon/reddish brown in between the fade from black to the golden centre. However, I don't see than on my Orville. I honestly just see the two colours on it. Black fading to gold.. strange.

Also, it may have been the name that threw me off. I always thought of Tobacco-burst as being exactly that.. like tobacco colour. When I think of tobacco I think pouch/roll-up tobacco like red/brown. So I can't help but wonder.. wouldn't it have made more sense for them to call the one with the red/brown "Tobaccoburst"? Essentially, the one without the red/brown.. just black.. is actually the Tobaccoburst? And the one with the reddish brown is the Vintage Sunburst?

I'd been looking in Beauty of the Burst and it just seems to lump the majority of the darker ones in as "Darkburst" if I remember correctly. I think there may have been some other names. It always puzzled me. I never really got a definitive answer on it. I do enjoy discussing it however.

7. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

I have an Orville Les Paul made in Fujigen as well made in 97! Beautiful sunburst cherry and a dream to play! Comes with Shur Thornbuckers in mine though as installed by the previous owner. Orvilles are quite a dream to play for its price!

Congratz on your guitar!

20180115_223153.jpg

8. JazzyLester

JazzyLester Member

Wow. Very nice guitar too. Pretty much the same as mine except Cherry instead of.. Tobacco(?) :hmm::thumb:

Oh and Zebra humbuckers! Yes, it looks good! Congratulations :h5:

noobyXD likes this.