My 13 yr old son is interested in learning guitar - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by ttbit, Jun 24, 2016.

1. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I play guitar. I would not say I am good and I am certainly not a good teacher, but I actively practice. I gave him an Epiphone Special. Pretty light weight and he seemed to like that style best, so... I found some kid lessons online that seem to show some basics for him that I gave him to start off with.

I am hoping that he can keep some interest and not get too frustrated like his dad did several times! I am not sure lessons are worth it at this time, or maybe it is important? I can show him a lot of basics, but I have many bad habits, I am sure.

Thought I would see if anyone has some experience with this? I wasn't sure what the heck to search for, but if this has been discussed 100 times, I would be happy if you point me to some threads I did not find.

He has access to my guitars, amps, and other toys as well. I just wanted to give him something of his own.

Thanks.

2. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

Number one suggestion - keep it FUN. Nothing will make him quit faster than if it feels like a chore.

5 people like this.
  3. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Encouragement.

4. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

I used to get frustrated on chord switching when I would play a song and I could not keep up with the tempo in my head. Or wow that don't sound anything like the real song. What I did was once I learned some chords, I would get a news paper or magazine and do the chords (a-g) in the words. intErEsED in lEArninG GuitAr. I Would not get bored playing Greensleeves over and over and over. Every different sentence was a new chord progression.

2 people like this.
  5. jon1

jon1 Senior Member

Not sure if your son has one artist he's really into, but I was going through a huge Clapton phase when i was first learning. I bought a huge book of a bunch of his songs with tab, chords, etc. I think the real turning point with guitar is when you can play something you recognize and can be proud of yourself. I'm terrible at teaching, but when theres something to learn/play together, its mutually beneficial.

Maybe get a fun book of songs or something and learn them together?

2 people like this.
  6. revtime

revtime Senior Member

Rocksmith.
    This will keep it fun. Its not the only thing to use but when your learning its great fun to play along to the songs. Even if its only a few notes at first.
    Keep it from being like school.
    I would never have kept at learning to play without Rocksmith.

5 people like this.
  7. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Encourage him to listen to plenty of guitar music, in all different styles - you and he alike may discover great players you never heard of; and he might find a real hero or genre to connect with. Youtube is great for this, because you can search for a tune you know, and get a load of links to (supposedly) similar stuff, and follow anything there that looks interesting (after 50 years playing the guitar myself, I'm still finding great players and tunes I'd never heard of before). Obviously a 13-year-old won't need any assistance in using the internet! :rolleyes:

Don't organise lessons for him unless he asks - or unless you find yourself more and more unable to answer his questions as he progresses. And don't nag him to practice. If he has to be nagged, guitar is probably not his thing after all. Obviously if he's not practising out of some kind of frustration (if it's not working how he hoped), then you need to help him out of that. Otherwise, let the drive come from him.

For free online lessons, you can't beat justinguitar, IMO.

3 people like this.
  8. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Very helpful responses! I appreciate it. I want this to be fun for him. There is no other reason for it, at this point, IMO. I want him to have other outlets in life (other than video games) for when he needs a break. Music has been a great one for me. If he decides to take it further than that, I will support him.

I gave him the JustinGuitar links last night as well. I found them useful as well! I told him that even when something sounds very basic, it could be very good information. I also explained how many "basic" steps I skipped in learning, which only forced me to start over, later in life.

9. Comanche

Comanche Senior Member

Giving someone a guitar uselessly cures them of that desire.

1 person likes this.
  10. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Nice. :)

11. Justin_Case

Justin_Case Senior Member

He needs to get lessons from a real pretty 14 year old girl :)

As said above - keep it fun.

3 people like this.
  12. russbryant

russbryant Member

Another vote for Rocksmith especially since he's a gamer. Plus you can both play songs together. One Lead and one Rhythm or Lead and Bass or any combination. Just so you know Bass is lots of fun and Rocksmith has a Bass emulator mode so you can play it on a regular guitar if you want and it sounds great.

Russ

1 person likes this.
  13. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Get Jess Greenberg to teach him.
    I`m not sure he`ll learn any guitar, but he`ll learn SOMETHING!!!!

1 person likes this.
  14. Justin_Case

Justin_Case Senior Member

I think all you can learn from her is about hairy palms and going blind....:naughty:

medic24, winexprt and ttbit like this.
  15. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I figured I would throw the Rocksmith option in there when he starts to get tired of it. :)

1 person likes this.
  16. moomtazz

moomtazz Senior Member

Do you need two copies of the game to do this? Or can you play guitar and bass at the same time on the same game if you have two cables?

Edit: Sorry a quick search says there is multiplayer mode. One copy - two cables.

1 person likes this.
  17. joba

joba Premium Member

I have a 9 year old that has been playing for two years. I would say teach him whatever he likes listening to. He has to like it to learn it. No pressure it has to be fun. Anything that puts the guitar in his hands. When your that age time is on your side. Just don't make it a structured job. Good luck.

2 people like this.
  18. MorganPeline

MorganPeline Senior Member

As your son is young. For his situation I would just teach him the songs he likes to begin with. If you get him used to just enjoying playing to begin with, at least for a few years, all the structured learning will come later because he enjoys playing.

1 person likes this.
  19. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

FUN is the ticket! No matter how you slice it learning guitar does require practice but if you can learn some double stops or triple stops to start and play some Green Day or Ramones its instant gratification! Have him pick a song that he likes, nothing too hard and show him the chords.

2 people like this.
  20. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Tune his guitar to Drop D and show him how he can play chords with one finger. This way he can instantly make music without the difficulty of real chord structures. Then move him into power chords in standard tuning. From there you can see how it goes.

Tons of tunes can be played with just one finger and Drop D.

Teach him this http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0D88C62D6F6ED5B7840B0D88C62D6F6ED&FORM=VRDGAR using just that Drop D power chord setup. Most likely it will hook him.

2 people like this.