Mxr dyna comp?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by peterjc, Nov 4, 2017.

1. peterjc

peterjc Senior Member

Who else uses a dyna comp for that 80’s clean tone with chorus of course? I stick mine in the loop and it sounds great, absolutely nails that 80’s clean tone. I use humbuckers and it almost gives that single coil tone. Also doubles as a nice lead boost with the sensitivity all the way down on a crunch tone!

2. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I have a Dyna Comp with the "Ross mod" to make it a little squishier, and I like it a lot and use it a lot. I find that it's easy to avoid an over-compressed tone and really like the way it interacts with my other pedals. I especially like having the ability to reduce excessive attack and add a bit more evenness and sustain. Dialed in, it's a great tone. Overdone, and it just sounds too processed. Even the current Dyna-Comps are good pedals, and a good value.

peterjc likes this.
  3. peterjc

peterjc Senior Member

I never thought of using it as a boost but it’s as good as any I’ve tried so far and I sort of stumbled on it. I’ve tried ep booster (sounds good but adds too much bass) mxr cae line/boost ( too thin) and 2 eq pedals . Like you said it has great tone and for leads it thickens single lines without too much bass! I would love to try mxr micro amp as I’ve heard great things but at the moment the dyna comp is it.

4. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Townsend used a Dyna as a boost from the late 70's until the '82 "Farewell Tour."

I have a MXR Custom Comp dialed in at Dyna settings with the mini trim pots. Nothing does Squishy Chicken pickin' better than a Dyna with a CA3080 "metal can" IC. As classic as any Muff, Clyde Wah or Fuzzface ever produced.

5. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

I have one. It's always on when I play a Tele. There are other compressors, but this one is it for me. And cheap. I like cheap.

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I have one and I use it all the time. I have mine set more like a boost and it is KEY to my tone. When I switched to the Helix, I was thrilled that they modeled the Dyna Comp. It is even a part of my modeled amp tone, lol. One of the best pedals I ever got.