Mux bought wood? I know unbelievable!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mux164, Dec 10, 2017.

1. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Hey people!

As the title suggests I bought some wood and was also given two planks.

My cousin gave me some silky oak which I should get 3 fender style one piece bodies out of. It is well seasoned and ready to go, it has some worm holes but I don't mind one bit IMG_8112.JPG
    I also got went on a bit of a hike and bought some camphor laurel. And the guy gave me another piece which had some issues for free. All I have to do is spread his name around which is no problem.

It was sitting out and it has been raining a bit so it has a bit of moisture in it, I have it stickered and I will be checking weekly to see when it's ready.

But my main question is can camphor laurel be used for necks? It feels pretty hard and I was thinking of doing 3 piece necks with either jarrah or karri in the middle of the camphor laurel isn't hard enough

IMG_8111.JPG

Thanks for your time and hopefully for your answers

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

That stuff doesnt look like pine...

I saw a Crimson Guitar vid where he was working with camphor wood. I gather is has quite an aroma

mux164 likes this.
  3. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

Yep, I've got a camphor tree in the front yard. When branches break I take them to my buddy's shop and make little candle holders out of the wood on his lathe.

It is very aromatic. Smells fantastic!

What's more fun is running over all the fallen leaves with the lawn mower. Now THAT smells amazing.

mux164 likes this.
  4. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Oh yeah it was so pleasant on the drive home,my nose was clear lol.

It seems quite hard but it's a soft wood so I might be able to do multi laminated necks and have some carbon fibre maybe.

Unfortunately it was out inthe weather so that most likely added moisture

It's at 35% now.

What percentage is workable?

5. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Hey bud, you got a ways to go. Just watched a video where PRS said it was around 6-8%.

This article from LMII states 8-10%.

http://www.lmii.com/wood-drying-storage

Might be worth it to seal the ends really good to prevent checking.

Can’t wait to see what you do with it. :thumb:

mux164 likes this.
  6. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Yeah will do I was hoping it was just because of it being In The rain for the past couple weeks

I was told it would nearly be ready, might see if the mill can put it inthe kiln

7. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Well at least I can use the silky oak it's plenty dry enough, the guy I did the thinline teles for has a mate who wants a strat so I will use the oak

Also I have no pine left after my two saf builds

Just annoyed that he said it would be dry enough and I don't bring my Moisture metre, also it was like an hour drive to and fro, so I didn't want to waste my time.

At least I have them maybe next year and my shed smells awesome

Oh yeah and in Australia camphor laurel is a noxious weed , so that means it's all getting cut down, so I might have been pricey to get hose slabs since the guy got them for free and milled d them up but oh well

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  8. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Hi JOhn would something like this work to seal the ends ? I just see. It at the hardware shop

9. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

If there was a link or a pic, I don’t see it. :dunno:

Hardware stores sell “discount” paint, you know, messed up mixes or whatever. Look for latex, color doesn’t matter.

Here’s the thread where our resident experts chime in.

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/end-grain-sealer.326320/

:thumb:

10. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_8135.JPG Was too eager to post haha, but I seen your reply so I will loom into it, still giving the mill a ring to see if I can bung them In the kiln

11. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

yeah any paint will work to seal the ends. I have lots of old latex from painting rooms in my house. I might have to re-seal if there is a heavy rain.

If it's at 35%, I doubt if the mill would put it in the kiln for a couple of months. Usually they like the wood to be at a consistent moisture content so they can pack the wood in there and then take it all out at once. When I cut down trees and slab the wood I let it sit for 2 - 3 months to stabilize then take it to the kiln. It's probably down to 20 - 25%. I haven't had any problems using wood as high as 10 - 12%. It will roughly dry at 1 yr per inch of thickness. I usually cut slabs to 2 - 2 1/4" so it would take over two years. The kiln can do it in 5 - 6 weeks. Some of the newer kilns can be much faster than that. Good luck.

Cheers Peter.