Musicians Friend Rant

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by northernguy, Oct 19, 2017.

1. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Anything even mildly specific would be helpful. It would assist in our vigilance.

2. sdny

sdny Senior Member

Prices always go up. I've been caught in this trap too. Bought an Epi from L&McQ and paid $500 CDN, but now it retails for $720. Bought a DSL40c (different store) for $820 locally and now it retails for $950 at the same store. I'm happy I paid the lower prices on each item. I was interested in a JVM combo instead of the DSL, didn't mind paying the price then, but when the prices went up I just couldn't justify the purchase.

I also buy music from Chapters-Indigo and put things on my wish list, only to check in later to see the prices have gone up a couple dollars on each item. It seems as soon as we are interested in something the price goes up.

3. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I considered not replying to your post. I didn't want to derail the OP, just showing support.
    But then I thought, I shouldn't talk smack and not back it up.

#MeToo but not name names.

Please note that this is a condensed version of the worst fiasco. I actually made several visits and to 2 different L&M locations.

I purchased a Vocalist LiveFX. None in stock but they say they can get one in by the end of the week.

It arrives two weeks later, in visually less than new condition both in box and device. No discount offered. No others available in the shipping chain. Convinces me to take it home.

At home, many (I repeat many) of the buttons do not work. I take it back. No others available in the shipping chain. I will loose 20% if I return it ( I fought this for a long time then just relented, bent over, grabbed my ankles and let them . . ) SO I sent it for 4 weeks (they said) to get repaired. 6 weeks later it returns and NOTHING WAS DONE. Still broken. Still no other replacements in the system. I still have no Vocalist and no money. A few more unsatisfying conversations later . . I, as mentioned, grabbed my ankles, took the 20% restocking fee. All they had to do was refund my money. . . all of it, and I would have been happy. As it was, I went to Tom Lee and purchased it that day. They even gave me a discount when I told them my L&M story.

The purchase of my Messa Mark V Combo amp was very unpleasant as well.

I actually walked out of the store when looking for my Messa 2x12 Cab and went elsewhere for my Cab.

L&M is OK to deal with until something falls OUTSIDE of their policy.
    Then they hind behind the POLICY , and just can't do ANYTHING.
    I also find they have a great smile for the customer, but very little product knowledge.

4. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Senior Member

You obviously missed the small print that there is a $100 surcharge for the 4-1/2 Stars rating for a crappy Godin guitar.

5. lynyrd

lynyrd Senior Member

I have dealt with Long & McQuade for probably 30 years and have never had a problem.

6. nicholas322

nicholas322 Member

He didn't buy it.

7. morgantruce

morgantruce Junior Member

Each one of us has this special place in our minds: The Vault of Guitars We Didn't Buy.

We almost bought 'em... but for one reason or another... we didn't. The nice thing though, is that if you have a good imagination, you will play these guitars many times in your life. They all sound and play perfectly!

8. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Ah well, my bad. I don't blame him for being pissed and standing by his convictions, but it still looks like a sweet guitar even at the $50 over the advertised price.

9. jbat

jbat Member

That's a terrible analogy that has nothing to do with buying an inanimate object like a guitar.

10. fry

fry Senior Member

If marrying a woman I’ve never met included a good return policy, I would maybe be up for it. Same thing with buying a guitar online, if there’s a good return policy, what’s the risk? Lots of people do it, it’s very common nowadays.

11. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I read all this about MF, GC etc and it's not surprising. I've only been to GC one time ever, that was 1998. Never bought anything from MF even though they send me their comic books in the mail now and then.

12. Bob Rock

Bob Rock Junior Member

Sorry you had some bad experiences at L&Ms. My experiences have been quite opposite. Never have had an issue returning anything for whatever reason and I find the staff at the location I deal with very helpful and very knowledgeable. Maybe the location you dealt with manage is not running his store the way it should be?
    By the way, I also purchased a Mesa Mark V Combo from L&M. A great F'n amp

Peace my brother :hippie:

13. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

Screenshot_20171115-113912.png
    Yeah, screw musicians friend. This was going to be my birthday present, but I got this email on my birthday instead.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  14. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

Stupid enough not to proof read their own ad. Tell 'em you're gonna call Sal on 'em.:)

15. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I so thought of you when I saw this thread. STILL sucks. Very very sorry for you.

16. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

Thanks man. I'm over it. Just thought it was appropriate.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.