~Music Theory Basics, Explained Enjo's Way~

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by EnjoGuitar, Jul 11, 2011.

1. EnjoGuitar

EnjoGuitar Senior Member

Well, I'm a big fan of opinions, so I can't see how any of you are doing anything wrong, and I can take criticism, so no worries there.

I am a bit worried, though, that I wasted my time, as it seems that I really am too out of the box to properly convey my music theory understandings over the internet. Since there's already good stuff here, I might PM a mod to delete this thread, because I don't want to confuse anyone.

I do, however, do an EXCELLENT job in person. I've helped a bunch of people with theory, and this thread doesn't make me any less confident of a teacher. :thumb:

2. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy V.I.P. Member

Don't listen to the nay Sayers. Thus is very good and I am looking forward to the next installment

3. EnjoGuitar

EnjoGuitar Senior Member

Well, to be blunt, I'm slightly upset that people want to correct me when I put Enjo's way in the title. I'm just doing it like I know how, and how I learned.

By slightly though, I do mean like .000001% upset. I've got a big grin on me ugly mug right now. :laugh2:

And I never lose confidence as a teacher or guitar player anymore. I've learned that I have some sort of social murphy's law microchip built into my brain. Everything I tend to do is heavily criticized. There's NOTHING wrong with that, but I've come to expect it. People typically don't like anything I do unless I do it perfect, like graphics(I used to make a lot more graphics that were actually half decent and no one showed me any love for them).

And not many people like my guitar playing. I don't blame 'em, because I'm nothing special, but my luck is such that I can play a very mellow, but not overly simple song that I wrote, and then some guy can come up and play two notes out of a f*cking Jonas Brothers song and impress people better than I can.

From things like that(my horrible luck, tendency to receive little to no compliments, and dealings with critics), I've toughened up quite a bit, and have learned that I only need to impress myself.

I'm in NO way trying to take a dig at anyone in this thread or on this forum, I'm more or less referencing my experiences with people.

I'm happy to be where I'm at though, and feel quite blessed. :thumb:

4. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy V.I.P. Member

I might learn your way because I got everything u have posted so far. I am 100% self taught. So your things click in my head.

EnjoGuitar likes this.
  5. EnjoGuitar

EnjoGuitar Senior Member

Well, I'm really glad to hear that. In that case, I'll be happy to continue even if you're the only one that's actually learning from it.

I'm not a music theory wiz, at all. What I did was simplify music theory for the following reason: To play guitar with others and to familiarize myself with scales and keys. All I did was make it so that I could play in any key or mode if someone needed me to, or if I wanted to. I didn't have to understand all the intervals and harmonics and other things. As long as I new what notes to play, I could figure the rest out. It makes guitar for me more intimate as a learning process.

That doesn't mean I won't read up and learn it later, but I wanted to develop my style in a rough but sure manner. I can play in any key or mode. It's easy. What wasn't easy is learning how to use each scales. That was using my ears, and a lot of time, which is why I liked my learning style so much.

I'm sure my old guitar teacher was fine, but he didn't like teaching me because I didn't think like him or any of his other students. I'm very weird and I LOVE it. It's a curse sometimes, and my whole social murphy's law ordeal can be stressful, but it's interesting, and not like many people, which I like.

I'm gonna play guitar until the last bit of air escapes me. :)

6. Sean0913

Sean0913 Member

I wouldn't suggest that you are in over your head. The thing is, that there are probably plenty of people like you that will understand things the way that makes most sense to you. In my comments, I am not suggesting that what you are doing is bad, it's just some advice meant to help. Your theory is solid from what I can tell.

I don't think you'll confuse everyone, my comments were to help take what you have and offer thoughts to make it better. But take that with a grain of salt. Regardless of what my comments are, the point is, if others are getting something from it, and benefiting from it, that's what counts, and that's the only thing that counts. :)

Take everything that I say and use what seems best, and the rest with a grain of salt. The point is that you're here to help, I'm here to help, and you have a heart for what you are doing. Don't stop now. I look forward to seeing more.

Best,

Sean

7. EnjoGuitar

EnjoGuitar Senior Member

I like your posts the most in this thread, actually. Straightforward though they may be, but you're a kind guy, or at least you're being kind to me, so I have absolutely NO qualms with you saying whatever you want in this thread, since you post it in the way you do.

My music theory knowledge is surprisingly diminutive. Like I said, I know enough to get around and play any scale, and that's just what I was trying to achieve. Fairly soon, though, I'm gonna be writing another notebook and writing things out on chord structure, intervals and the like. I have music theory for dummies, which I know most of what's inside, but still explains things very well.

I do see how a lot of people wouldn't be able to take in a lot from my posts here though. You can't please everyone, and everyone's different, so I fully expect there to be a lot of folks that would be scratching their heads to this.

Like I've said a couple times though, I do more than fine in person. That's what I'm most proud of. Anybody with a handful of brain cells or more qualifies as someone I could successfully teach. I work extremely well with people in person. :)

Thank you for your posts. You've said some very useful things, and, with anything, I'll always not only consider what you're saying, but use it to my advantage and benefit while simultaneously taking it with a grain of salt.

I'm real laid back and it takes a lot to offend me these days.

Thanks for the kind words, Sean.

:thumb:

8. Sean0913

Sean0913 Member

I appreciate that, but every word is sincere. I really do look forward to seeing what else you write. And if I can help in any way, however much theory you think you don't know, which to me, you don't really need a lot of theory to start with to make music and express yourself, drop me a PM.

I think the thing that impresses me the most about you as a teacher, is that you seem to be teachable. Thats a rare quality, but its because you are open and consider things, that I think you have a much better chance at reaching people.

I'm very passionate about teaching, because I was once the guy who needed a teacher and couldn't find someone that didn't simply jam and try to throw out a lick or two like throwing a bone to a dog. So when I see you trying to teach, I'm here rooting for you, and like I said, your theory to this point was pretty solid, and I do want to see you continue doing this. Guys like jason_mazzy may need exactly what you have to show them. That's what counts.

You're a class act.

Best,

Sean

EnjoGuitar likes this.
  9. msfenderarg

msfenderarg Senior Member

:shock::shock::shock:

Chicago John likes this.
  10. EnjoGuitar

EnjoGuitar Senior Member

:rofl:

That's about how my guitar teacher acted when he saw my notebook!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

11. EnjoGuitar

EnjoGuitar Senior Member

Thanks again. The kind words mean a lot, man.

I just looked over my first post a couple times, and I'm gonna edit it thoroughly tomorrow, because it's not really practical that someone who doesn't know jack-squat would pick it up from my style. I could certainly make it happen in person, but, this is obviously nothing like it.

It's funny you say that I'm teachable, because that reminds me of my time moderating on another popular forum. I got into a dispute with a member, and they said they were gonna report me. I responded that they have every right to do so if they see something wrong with my moderating. They were so surprised by that that they told me that being able to take input from other people was one of my best qualities.

It's weird how things remind me of stuff like that.

Thanks again, and I might take you up on that offer one of these days.

Regards,
    -Nick

12. adam_v64

adam_v64 Senior Member

I've been enjoying what you have written Enjo, so please keep
    It coming. I have next to no theory and your way seems to be working for me. I can totally relate to what you say about thinking differently and learning differently, I've been that way my whole life

EnjoGuitar likes this.
  13. Mouse2112

Mouse2112 Member

MORE PLEASE!! :thumb:

14. Thermionik

Thermionik Not Fade Away Premium Member

You should publish a book of music theory.
    I don't understand any of it - but it seems to be going down well.....

15. EnjoGuitar

EnjoGuitar Senior Member

I do like you and all, but do you have something against me? :eek2:

I can't help but think the sarcasm is raging there. :laugh2:

16. Mattyboy

Mattyboy Senior Member

Dude- Keep going with this man! I'm self taught and have learned most of what you've already brought up, but it's good to know I'm on the right track.

Good stuff! Keep rollin!

17. colchar

colchar Banned

Thanks for this thread! Much appreciated (as are all the theory and lesson threads here).

18. bulfiter

bulfiter Junior Member

Hey, EnjoGuitar, really helpful thread. Could you please post some more information?