MUSIC THEORY 101 Don't Be Afraid :)

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by jonesy, Sep 24, 2008.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Wow Dude my head hurts after that question...that is just a way overcomplicated way of looking at it.:shock:
    It had been a while since I had played that song, so I googled the video.
    BB does it in C minor and the another video with BB and Gary Moore was in C minor. The album version may be in Bm?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAuuIDU2sw]YouTube - BB King / Gary Moore - The Thrill is Gone[/ame]
    Here is the Chord progression that I picked up by ear...
    4/4 TIME

Cm/Cm/Cm/Cm/Fm7/Fm7/Cm7/Cm/G#/G/Cm/Cm

I hit the C minor Pentatonic scale with aeolian embellishments and nailed the Solo in the same mode/style BB is playing..but he's BB:naughty:
    Now remember every minor key has a relative major and vice versa so, and they are same notes different root. The dorain would give you raised 6th and that was not what BB was playing, so I stayed away from that voicing.

I always use my ear as the Final Guide to what is right, that is why I listened to the song before I tied to answer your question because your theory was confusing to me.

Peace, jonesy

2. jonesy

Great Post Bro, I love that song...here is the full two octave version of that scale and it works great on acoustic guitar as well because of all the open notes. Starting on the 6th string open E is your Root note. If you start on open 5th string A then this becomes the Aeolian Mode or A minor scale. :naughty:
    --------------------------------------------------------0--1--3----
    ------------------------------------------0--1--3--------------------
    ----------------------------------0--2------------------------------
    ----------------------0--2--3-------------------------------------
    ------------0--2--3--------------------------------------------------
    --0--1--3------------------------------------------------------------

Peace, jonesy

57VOS likes this.
  3. mikemack

mikemack Senior Member

Ok more clear. Those were quotes form the other thread. I understand relative minors ok so I get what you are saying what Im stuck on is this.. "we are in the key of D, and an A major scale sounds real nice over it, that would be playing in dorian mode." if you are using the progression in his post. B would be your relative minor for the d maj correct? so how did he arrive at dorian mode? Also itook out my tuner and I was about !/2 step out of tune .so the "going fishing" note that was a b was actually C:naughty:

4. jonesy

I actually have no idea why he would call it the Dorian Mode?? :shock: I do not know why other people say the things they do?? Bro it's Blues with a natural minor flair, you are trying to intellectualize it and that is not good...you gotta feel it whether if you understand it or not. :naughty:

5. jonesy

Tuning up every time before playing is always recommended :cool:

6. mikemack

mikemack Senior Member

one more question When you say aeolin embelishments are you adding cminor scale notes. or are you or are you adding relative minor notes?... I love the c minor and a minor scales they are my favorite.

7. mikemack

mikemack Senior Member

yup over thinking I know. so Im just gonna give my brain a rest and play this great backing track and play around and see what sounds good and make a note of what doesnt.

8. jonesy

+1 :applause:

9. jonesy

10. jonesy

57VOS likes this.
  11. jonesy

12. jonesy

13. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

jeez, Theory wars - :shock:

Can I ask both you guys where did you learn all this stuff?? Did you take regular lessons read loads of books or head down to the 60's version of the internet (the library...:))?

Can I have a request please whilst Im here - any john lee hooker riffs (similar to the chuck berry bits up there) would be fantastic - for some reason JLH seems to be incredibly overlooked.

14. mikemack

mikemack Senior Member

Ok to mix modes ?I tried mixing notes in from other minor modes so I could get out of that minor pentatonic box. and for the most part it sounded good. :)

15. jonesy

John Lee Hooker is a Legend IMO and I know that George Thouroughgood held him in high esteem as well....you can hear in his playing and lyrics. Bo Diddley is another name worth mentioning as he was in the "Bad to the Bone" video with George T.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hYBgpZdbKM]YouTube - John Lee Hooker - Crawlin' King Snake (Live)[/ame]

Tuning is close but not spot on, I am playing it in the open E Blues Scale, Vamping on the E Root...no other chords except the lead in which was A.A#.B then back E. Sounds like the lead break is at 12 and 14th frets on your 2 & 3 strings, Use 1st position blues scale at Octave.
    CRAWLING KING SNAKE IN E Minor Pentatonic
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------0-----------------------------------0-------
    ------------------------0H2-------------------------------0H2-------------
    -------00--3-3-0----0--------------3----00---3-3-0--0----------------3---0

You can add in subtle quarter tone bends on the 3rd fret notes on 6th string, bon't over do it like 1/2 step bend. This is Classic slow raw Blues...you vary the pattern slightly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpuaCoK_rl4]YouTube - John Lee Hooker Boogie Chillen[/ame]
    This one is in a really out of tune G#, fast "Wood Chopping" Beat..I don't use usually use capo much but if you capo at 4th fret you can use the Open E blues scale. play an E chord and vamp on that while accenting the upbeats.
    The Rhythm is going to be hard to tab so I will try and do the basics for you, LISTEN AND TAP YOUR FOOT 1+2+3+4+
    CAPO AT 4TH FRET :naughty:
    -----------------------------------------------0-------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------3-------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------4------------------------
    ---------0H2P0-----222-------0H2P0----222-------------------------
    ---------------------2-------------------2--------------------------
    -------0---------0-----------0-------0-----------------------------

E7 DOUBLE STOP FLOURISH
    ----00000000000--0--
    ----33333333333--3--
    ----44444444444--4--
    -----------------------
    -------------------------
    -------------------------

Sorry if that is not the best Tab, but I think if you listen to it and try to get a feel for what he is doing you will be able to pick up on it.
    Check out "Boom Boom", and "One bourbon, one scotch one beer" those were more well known and have more modern blues chord structure.

Peace, jonesy

16. jonesy

I have never claimed to know all there is about music theory, and there are many others much more knowledgeable on the subject. But I know that I have have taught my self way more theory than I have ever have needed to play Rock, Blues, Country and write Original songs for my self. I think at look at things in the most basic root form. I learned chord structure from the Mel Bay Deluxe Chord Encyclopedia on staff and chord notation, that is how it is presented there. I have not taken any college classes on theory or have taken any lessons. I found something that worked for me. That is how I have related all my scales and patterns up and down the fretboard for over 25 years and a lot of people can relate to it the same way.
    I do this because I enjoy sharing information with others. and there was an interest on this subject. My have wife has some major health issues, and I have a little girl to take care of and between that and bills I have enough stress in my life right now. I think those John Lee Hooker Songs may be my last post for a while. Thanks to everyone of you that has contributed to this MUSIC THEORY 101 Don't Be Afraid :) thread. :applause:

Peace, jonesy

17. jonesy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77pmWCpMNkI]YouTube - Tupelo by John Lee Hooker[/ame]

18. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

A question cause you lost me already. So a major scale is always 1 2 34 5 6 78 and only c major is without #?
    I thought I had it figured out that major scales are always without # So g would be g a bc d ef g 1 2 34 5 6 78 but I guess that is wrong and looking at it typed out makes that clear cause the 6 and the 7 follow each other instead of the 7 and 8 so the 12 34 5 6 78 progression isn't the same for every note. In that it always uses whole notes. Man I have to completely rethink about everything.
    Let's see so e major would go like this: e f# g#a b c d#e right? I hope so or I still don't get it.

19. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

jonesy thanks for this thread...

I get about an hour or two most days to play (myeverso energetic 1 year old boy sees to that) and like everyone else I dont have much spare money (esp not for lessons) this thread has been priceless and Ive learnt a lot.

Take care of your family, that comes first every time, and thanks for the JLH stuff, much appreciated. Maybe one day we'll sit down and have that beer (with the blues:))

20. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

:dude: Thats what its all about!